Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I think it will be an erosion of all personal freedoms achieved in the past 50+ years.
What freedoms do you speak of and what evidence do you have that he seeks such? I mean, for instance, he has been re-elected as Governor here in Texas many times now, certainly you have some examples of programs to which oppress the people here?

Quote:
He is associating with a religious movement that in my opinion is not all that different from what you see in Saudi Arabia, Oman, Iran. They basically want a theocracy dictated by religious leaders. While we do allow religious leaders to run for elected office, they cannot skirt the 1st amendment separation of church and state in terms of establishment, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof. The group Perry has associated with clearly states that they do not believe in the free exercise clause as applied to all Americans equally.
Well, you know what they say about opinions...

I am again interested in how you can quantify your statement?

Quote:
While I am not a true full out liberal (I am fiscally conservative), Perry is just out of whack with most of America. While I have no doubt he will win most of the Southern states, I do not believe he would win Florida with its large minority population which generally decides the outcome of that state.
Well, it all depends on how many people believe the libel and slander that is going to come from him running and you can bet, most of them will be outright lies.

Quote:
I also do not believe that Perry can win a state like PA or OH with that religious rhetoric. People look at him like he's insane. Of course in the primary you don't see this because he is pandering to his electorate. His problem will be in the general election. Republicans in PA and OH are not going to vote for someone that epitomizes those social views (extreme anti abortion, extreme hatred of gay marriage, extreme evangelism). This country has never elected a President like that.
Religious rhetoric? Can you give some examples of such made by him? I mean, lets be clear here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Great speech, pounded obama. Plenty of red meat in there.

Notice - NO teleprompter.

Better than watching a tennis match with the NOTES on a teleprompter, don't you think?
anyone who thinks he sounded phoney, would be the type that would never support him. He gave a great speech. My husband, who is still not sure he will support him said about the same> What a great speaker!!!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
I like the sound of Perry/Rubio...don't you guys?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:58 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
He certainly relied on his notes on the podium. What does he really think and feel and believe without his notes?...He did seem like a preacher at times. With all of the hype I expected him to come out like a dynamo but he didn't seem this way to me. Maybe he was nervous or ??? He was certainly set-up to be a "super star" by the media and he failed to deliver as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:10 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I like the sound of Perry/Rubio...don't you guys?
Not really. I'd much prefer a true conservative that has a track record of upholding Constitutional principles.

Perry occupying the slot of mainstream Republican flavor of the day is not going to earn my vote.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
He certainly relied on his notes on the podium. What does he really think and feel and believe without his notes?...He did seem like a preacher at times. With all of the hype I expected him to come out like a dynamo but he didn't seem this way to me. Maybe he was nervous or ??? He was certainly set-up to be a "super star" by the media and he failed to deliver as far as I'm concerned.
Don't care about any of that perceptive crap. Didn't care about it during Obama. I think if people are going to vote this time due to what is truly on the line here, they need to be looking at the actions and record of the candidate, their noted stances on government, etc...

If not, well... they have nothing to complain about if things go really bad.

This ain't American Idol, and we need to stop treating our voting habits as such.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Not really. I'd much prefer a true conservative that has a track record of upholding Constitutional principles.
What things would you explain as him being a RINO on outbacknv? Just interested as I came to Texas not too long ago and am not thoroughly caught up on all of his past (caught up as in actually researched to the core, I don't care for political opinion sites that make claims and never truly explain them to any detail) due to a lot of garbage to sift through.

What are a couple of issues you would say?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:20 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
What things would you explain as him being a RINO on outbacknv? Just interested as I came to Texas not too long ago and am not thoroughly caught up on all of his past (caught up as in actually researched to the core, I don't care for political opinion sites that make claims and never truly explain them to any detail) due to a lot of garbage to sift through.

What are a couple of issues you would say?
I take issue with his stances on illegal immigration and his use of eminent domain to secure properties for the Trans Texas Corridor.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,594 times
If you choose to read it, Paul Burka at Texas Monthly has an interesting article on Governor Good Hair:

Dear Yankee :: Texas Monthly

Old 08-13-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
I take issue with his stances on illegal immigration and his use of eminent domain to secure properties for the Trans Texas Corridor.
Yeah, he has been pretty weak on the illegal immigration issue. I wouldn't say he was pro-illegal, just not giving it the attention it deserves. He did do some... though not enough in my opinion. That though may have certain limitations in the issue.

I am not really familiar with latter issue, will need to look more into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections