Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times

Advertisements

To an extent, you are correct at least as applied to me. I can't offer many positives on Obama. I dislike his fiscal and foreign policies. I do like his social policies or at least his admission of these certain policies.

But if the GOP has any chance to win the Presidency, it will not be from Rick Perry or Michelle Bachmann. People are dilusional if they think states like PA, FL, and OH will go for that. Chris Christie and Mitt Romney stand the best chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Will not get elected. But if he does, it will represent the biggest challenge to the Constitution in US history.
Why are you saying that?

Nita

Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
He's skirting very close to 1st Amendment violations by using religion as a means to a political end.
Oh for heavens sake, he hasn't even announced the this meeting was set up before his name was even being considered. You would think he put this all together after he started considering running, plus even if he did (which he didn't) as long as he is not a candidate he can do almost anything he chooses.

NIta

Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I think it will be an erosion of all personal freedoms achieved in the past 50+ years. He is associating with a religious movement that in my opinion is not all that different from what you see in Saudi Arabia, Oman, Iran. They basically want a theocracy dictated by religious leaders. While we do allow religious leaders to run for elected office, they cannot skirt the 1st amendment separation of church and state in terms of establishment, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof. The group Perry has associated with clearly states that they do not believe in the free exercise clause as applied to all Americans equally.

While I am not a true full out liberal (I am fiscally conservative), Perry is just out of whack with most of America. While I have no doubt he will win most of the Southern states, I do not believe he would win Florida with its large minority population which generally decides the outcome of that state.

I also do not believe that Perry can win a state like PA or OH with that religious rhetoric. People look at him like he's insane. Of course in the primary you don't see this because he is pandering to his electorate. His problem will be in the general election. Republicans in PA and OH are not going to vote for someone that epitomizes those social views (extreme anti abortion, extreme hatred of gay marriage, extreme evangelism). This country has never elected a President like that.
If he is out of whack with the majority of Americans you have nothing to worry about: as for winning Florida, I think you should pay more attention to what usually happens in Florida and the minorities there; say Cubins?
Using the word extreme hatred of gay marriage is pretty stong; what are you basing that on? Let's face it, you don't like him, you really don't know a heck of a lot about him, but you sure have your opinion, which you have a right to of course.

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth or do you realize that: first you say he won't win and second you say it is unconstitutional; that is what we are asking you to explain. Of course it probably doesn't make much difference what you think or who you vote for: if you live in Ca the state will stay blue so what difference does it make. I feel so sorry for so many, in Ca that have to live with the libs.

You mention Mitt Romney, he probably can not get the nomination and he would not win if he did; of chances are he would not. Chris Chistie wants to spend time with his family, so that isn't an option. If you followed politics you would know that.

Nita

Nita

Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You'd think the left would exhaust itself rabidly chasing anybody that emerges as a potential front runner candidate. They're like a pack of wolves going after any lone buffalo they see. Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, Rick Perry, Chris Christie, Michelle Bachman, Newt Gingrich or even Donald Trump. Its the same exact tactic, villify and condemn and smear. Maybe they do that because they can't offer any positives on Obama. None at all.
I have been saying this for months: they have no choice, they certainly can't praise the President right now; how else can they make any attempt to get him re-elected?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:04 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Sorry, I don't have time to read the latest bash Perry thread, but for those still undecided, you have to see this interview. Wow, I like him. He's charming, damn good looking, and appears to be a small government guy. Hubba hubba

Gov. Rick Perry's Texas-Sized Economy - Show - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/glenn-beck/transcript/gov-rick-perrys-texas-sized-economy - broken link)

Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
I'd vote for Perry if he can stand up and present problems to our ailing economy like a real leader, unlike most of the GOP candidates who like to wait until after the facts to criticize Obama without offering solutions to our problems.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I'd vote for Perry if he can stand up and present problems to our ailing economy like a real leader, unlike most of the GOP candidates who like to wait until after the facts to criticize Obama without offering solutions to our problems.
If and when he gets into the race I am sure we will hear his plans, whether good or not, who knows?

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If and when he gets into the race I am sure we will hear his plans, whether good or not, who knows?

Nita
It's funny, the GOP Nuts trying to find a candidate, turn to their Democrat.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Talking Rick Perry...

...has ruined Texas with a $27B deficit.

He's Dubya w/o the intellect.

He's the perfect GOP candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections