Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,844,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV49 View Post
What do you think the term limits SHOULD be?

I suggest one 5 year limit for the President - eliminates the need to raise money for a second term plus keeps the President on the job and off the campaign trail !!

Congress needs strict limits - no more lifetimers who make the House or the Senate their permanent job !
Disagree, we already have them, they are called Elections, don't be lazy do your part, vote.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,324,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Disagree, we already have them, they are called Elections, don't be lazy do your part, vote.
Casper
As I mentioned earlier, this isn't working.

Telling people on this forum to vote is most likely preaching to the choir.

Now...how do you reach the American Idol crowd?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,061,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It just simply does not work that way. Regardless of your left views, you certainly must realize, once elected, it is almost impossible to be voted out. It just doesn't happen. This goes for both sides.

Nita
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
yeeeeaaahhhh....how's that working for us?
How's it working?

As American voters want it to work with their votes...if Americans want someone to represent them longer they have the right to vote for that person...or vote for someone else if they don't like that person.....nothing wrong with what the voters want...IS THERE?????

Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
How's it working?

As American voters want it to work with their votes...if Americans want someone to represent them longer they have the right to vote for that person...or vote for someone else if they don't like that person.....nothing wrong with what the voters want...IS THERE?????
Geeze, pay attention to what is being said: no one said we shouldn't be able to vote them out: I said it just doesn't happen. I agree voting them in and out is the best way, but term limits is a great idea and one that will happen one of these days. What do you have against the plan?

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,061,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Geeze, pay attention to what is being said: no one said we shouldn't be able to vote them out: I said it just doesn't happen. I agree voting them in and out is the best way, but term limits is a great idea and one that will happen one of these days. What do you have against the plan?

Nita
Geeze, pay attention to what I said:

There ARE term limits...don't want someone in, vote them out.

If they're not voted out then more voters wanted them in...they win.

What do you have against voting? Too democratic?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:42 PM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
God, I'm agreeing with people on here I never usually do.

Those of you that want term limits, do you have any idea what the learning curve is for almost any elected office. Even for a local government it's 2 or 3 years, sometimes longer if the official doesn't pay attention.

You get hard term limits for Legislators, I don't care what level, you'll end up with unelected bureaucrats making even more decisions than now. If a Legislator is going to be gone in a couple years there would be even less accountability all around.

As stated, we already have term limits called elections. What's funny is that most people, when they're polled, like their Congressman/Senator/County Commissioner/Town Council member, it's that other guy that's a **** head.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Those of you that want term limits, do you have any idea what the learning curve is for almost any elected office. Even for a local government it's 2 or 3 years, sometimes longer if the official doesn't pay attention.

You get hard term limits for Legislators, I don't care what level, you'll end up with unelected bureaucrats making even more decisions than now. If a Legislator is going to be gone in a couple years there would be even less accountability all around.

As stated, we already have term limits called elections. What's funny is that most people, when they're polled, like their Congressman/Senator/County Commissioner/Town Council member, it's that other guy that's a **** head.
and that is one argument that is made often: yes, it does take time to learn the in and outs. I think that is why many of us are saying time frames like 10 to 12 years: just not forever...

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,324,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

I'll ask the question again. How's the current system working for us?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I'll ask the question again. How's the current system working for us?

Working the way it's set-up. If you think having a constant churn in elective offices will make things run smoother, think again.

I'm talking local government for the next bit. Every new office holder comes in and has to re-invent the wheel, wasting staff time. Most haven't even attended a meeting of the body they've been elected to until the month before the election, sometimes not until the day they're sworn in. Read the Town codes? "What? I don't have the time for that". "What do you mean I can't go on vacation with that developer?"
"We need a new law. What do you mean we already have it?" "All of my friends say we need to spend $50K on a dog park."

I go back to what I said earlier, elections are the term limit, if people don't like what their officials are doing they'll be voted out. My guy's good, your's is the **** head.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,512,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Geeze, pay attention to what I said:

There ARE term limits...don't want someone in, vote them out.

If they're not voted out then more voters wanted them in...they win.

What do you have against voting? Too democratic?
People like Charlie Rangel, who get reelected over a period of 40 years. Why, because he is bought n paid for by special interests. Term limits are the only way to move em out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections