Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Ron Paul Have The Same Support With A (D) Next To His Name?
No, He would be bashed as a far left nutcase 22 35.48%
Yes, It doesn't matter what letter is next to his name 33 53.23%
Not sure 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 02:10 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,786,793 times

Advertisements

Something that I've been pondering. Being a libertarian, Paul's views don't fit exactly on either the left or right, but could easily be on the (D) side from his very liberal views on ending the wars, legalizing drugs, against bans on gay marriage etc,... I've noticed many of the hard right leaning members on this forum and others are supporters of Paul and I wonder if that's only because of that (R) or because they truly stand behind his views and would support him no matter what letter was next to his name.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,892,766 times
Nope, because he's really not a democrat despite being liberal on some social issues.
He IS a Republican -- a true one.

He is what the party used to be, before they went kooky.

If it was about the media focusing on the (D) and (R), then surely he'd be all over FOX News, but that's not the case either.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:13 PM

78,013 posts, read 60,209,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Something that I've been pondering. Being a libertarian, Paul's views don't fit exactly on either the left or right, but could easily be on the (D) side from his very liberal views on ending the wars, legalizing drugs, against bans on gay marriage etc,... I've noticed many of the hard right leaning members on this forum and others are supporters of Paul and I wonder if that's only because of that (R) or because they truly stand behind his views and would support him no matter what letter was next to his name.
If you put a D or an R at the end of his name, 80% of the regulars would instantly support or hate him regardless of his views.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:15 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,075,569 times
He's not a Democrat. If he had a (D) next to his name, nobody would have heard of him and he never would have held any elected position.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:16 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,749,022 times
His support for ending programs that help out the poor, the elderly, and students still wouldn't fly with Democrats.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,068,920 times
Quote:

The Dems would never accept him. He is also for small government and for a little personal responsiblity, things Dems will hate him for.

Come to think of it though, the reason the GOP establishment won't nominate him is because of the same reasons

Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,786,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
His support for ending programs that help out the poor, the elderly, and students still wouldn't fly with Democrats.
Exactly and that's the point as being a libertarian, he doesn't fit as a democrat, the same way he doesn't fit as a republican for the reasons I listed. Given his stances were exactly the same and all that changed was the letter next to his name, I wonder how that would change the way people would then view him

Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,506,894 times
He'd still have MY support

Old 08-16-2011, 02:26 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,398,975 times
He is a true Republican (which is very Libertarian but has since slid into the sorry excuse they have become). However, if he was a Democrat (although he would be equally rejected by them as well), I would support him. The truth is the truth and I don't care if it comes from a man or woman; black or white; young or old. He is the halogen light shining in America's closet and exposing our shame and neglect. Let it shine!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,420,118 times
Quote:
This was hard to judge, I put he wouldn't get the attention, but I am not sure. There are many democrats that might be behind him. In fact some liberals who are pissed with Obama and can't support a true Republican might like some of what he stands for (war issues, pot, etc) and support him. Of course if it were today, he wouldn't get the attention because he would probably would not be running against Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections