Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 AM

498 posts, read 1,448,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
IMO, people are really brainwashed in this country because it's actually the two parties that are extremely radical. Not Ron Paul. A few examples are: Letting millions of illegals (including terrorists and drug cartels) cross our borders and not making them go back, instead making us Americans pay to support them with welfare, prison, education, healthcare, social security, and to boot they take our jobs, it's all bizzare to say the least. Government spending trillions in borrowed funds from China while we are quite bankrupt and the dollar is fallling. All the overboard mid east wars that are not necessary and has the world not liking us, calling us terrorists, even Canada.
Ron Paul goes against conventions and the status quo. That alone is enough to make him appear to be a radical candidate to the average voter. Whether or not the two parties represent corruption and inefficiency is not really the question as it pertains to 'radicalism.' The fact remains that the two parties represent the status quo, whereas Ron Paul represents drastic change, which is exactly what a radical is. That is why he is considered by many to be a fringe candidate, and why you either love him or you don't take him seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 11:51 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,118,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Well he certainly didn't do very well in Iowa. He ended up in 7th place and he went out there and spent money and campaigned... even though he wasn't there the day everyone voted. I don't think you can trust a lot of the polls that say he is a "front-runner". I think Romney had his chance in the last election. He's like stale bread. He has no great message and lots of apologize for.

He did not even participate in the straw poll. In other words, he didn't pay and bus people in to vote for him. He chose to use the money more wisely. The winner of this straw poll rarely wins the nomination anyway. It was not a big indicator of anything except how much money you threw away getting the people there to vote for you.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
Ive honestly never met one person who likes mitt romney, and im from the northeast and have friends in mass. *scratches head*

That might be because you don't know many Republicans???

Old 08-22-2011, 12:18 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,263,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
IMO, people are really brainwashed in this country because it's actually the two parties that are extremely radical. Not Ron Paul. A few examples are: Letting millions of illegals (including terrorists and drug cartels) cross our borders and not making them go back, instead making us Americans pay to support them with welfare, prison, education, healthcare, social security, and to boot they take our jobs, it's all bizzare to say the least. Government spending trillions in borrowed funds from China while we are quite bankrupt and the dollar is fallling. All the overboard mid east wars that are not necessary and has the world not liking us, calling us terrorists, even Canada.
Good post. I have to LOL too when I hear people call Ron Paul a radical... if spending within your means is "radical" then I guess I and most financially stable Americans are radicals...

Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,435,118 times
Northeastern bluebloods perhaps. He probably has the most muted base since these folks probably have no interest in lowering themselves to becoming cheerleaders.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Northeastern bluebloods perhaps. He probably has the most muted base since these folks probably have no interest in lowering themselves to becoming cheerleaders.

In your dreams...lol.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Pray tell dixie, who are the Northeastern bluebloods supporting for the GOP nomination? Bachmann? Perry? Ron Paul?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM

I'm still waiting for an answer!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,785,542 times
I don't know any Republicans who are big supporters of Romney. They don't dislike him, and would definitely vote for him in the general election over Obama... but he's just not their preference. Given a viable option who doesn't have a healthcare or abortion issue problem, they'll vote for the other option instead.

Basically, I think Romney's "base" was undecided Republicans who didn't want to check "undecided" in an opinion poll. They were essentially parking their support on "default generic GOP candidate", and that's who Romney is.

Now, Romney's support comes mostly from GOP-leaning independents and ex democrats rather than Republicans. And the media has an assumption he's still a viable contender, simply because they can't fathom that the GOP would abandon someone so "moderate".

The reality is that Romney has no where to go but down. He's already got the total support of the small contingent of moderates in the party; the rest of the support out there is NOT moderate. Bachmann, Paul, Gingrich, Santorum, Cain, etc... when they drop out those supporters won't go to a moderate candidate like Romney. So Romney *might* stay around 25%, but if it comes down to 2 competitors, the other one will have the consolidated conservative support from all the other candidate's former supporters.

It's almost to the point where the ethical thing for Romney to do would be to stop taking donations, and just try to drive the other candidates into more moderate stances -- if that's what he truly believes the GOP needs.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM

485 posts, read 1,451,388 times
Most all of the independents and some of the Republicans I know are Romney supporters, and I live in the bible belt. I would have no trouble voting for Romney, although I still like Perry because I lived in TX for a number of years and like what the economy is doing there. I know one Republican who supports Paul and of course all the democrats back Obama. I would say that independents are solidly behind Romney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections