Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Can't believe there's another thread kicking this dead horse. Scientific theory, as has been pointed out ad nauseum in multiple threads right here on c-d, is not the same as the common definition of a "theory" and anyone who believes that it is, is just plain ignorant. Read for yourself: Theory (Scientific vs layman’s definition) | Thinking Critically

Wanna bet the same topic will come up again and the same posters will have not changed their ignorant, obstinate, impermeable minds? Combine stupidity with undying political support, and throw in the fact that evolution (facts) scare some religious, you have this result of denial of scientific facts. I dont mind people wallowing in their ignroance, but then these people vote and elect another proud ignroant idiot.

World is becoming more competitive. We need leaders who understand at least basic science. Perry is not one of them. Huntsman is the only R candidate who believes in evolution, but he is so far out for many Rs that he has no hope of even being listened to.

Last edited by calmdude; 08-19-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Creationism is easier to believe than evolution. "First there was nothing, then nothing exploded and the universe came into being..." Sure.
Yet you are fine believing that a magical sky being that came from nothing created the universe by clapping their hands or farting or who knows what. This is called irony. Besides, evolution does not attempt to explain the origins of the universe, only how species changed over time. It seems to me that you are confusing the two. Not a surprise.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Perry left it for the boy to decide...

In Texas we believe in letting the individual decide on their own. We don't force what we believe down their throats... This is why we teach both in our schools.

Perry never said to the little boy that evolution is "out there." Perry specifically said that evolution "has gas" and told the little boy he is smart enough to decide on his own. What is wrong with that?

I will tell you... Democrats indoctrinate their young; Republicans present them with the current facts from each and let them decide for themselves.
Science is not a popularity contest, nor is education about giving 1000 different answers and having 999 wrong ones and then letting people decide which one they like best anyway. That is not education, nor is it science.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Evolution is as much a fact as the boiling point of water at sea level.
No its not. There is lots of evidence to support evolution, but NONE to make it a FACT
Quote:
You really don't understand the difference between a demonstrable fact and a theory, do you?

I blame it on the failure of public education. It's not your fault.
I'm banging my head here trying to figure out where most of these people went to school and how on gods earth they graduated.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
You actually only pointed out that adaptation occurs. The Theory of Evolution can't be consider a fact until it can be proven, and it can't. Neither can the Theory of Intelligent Design.
It has been proven. Over and over again. Look, I get it. You are threatened by reality, but the fact is that evolution is not in contradiction to religion and never was. You can still believe in your god, and you can believe that that god guided evolutionary process. Not that I think that is a wise thing to do, but again, evolution and religion are not completely incompatible.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
No problem, I'm suspect we wouldn't have much common ground upon which to have a meaningful conversation.

BTW, fairies aren't mentioned in the Bible, so why would I believe in them?
Neither are computers. What are you using right now??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Just because you and Perry share the same confusion on how science works does not mean that evolution is not an accepted reality with overwhelming supportive evidence.
Just because Rick Perry and I happen to be more educated than the average poster here, doesnt make him wrong. Evolution IS a theory, and CAN NOT BE PROVEN. THAT IS A FACT and I challenge you to prove it wrong. I'l wait patiently while those who are "ignorant" (your word) embarass themself over not knowing this FACT.

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post

Wanna bet the same topic will come up again and the same posters will have not changed their ignorant, obstinate, impermeable minds? Combine stupidity with undying political support, and throw in the fact that evolution (facts) scare some religious, you have this result of denial of scientific facts.

World is becoming more competitive. We need leaders who understand at least basic science. Perry is not one of them. Huntsman is the only R candidate who believes in evolution, but he is so far out for many Rs that he has no hope of even being listened to.
An apt description.

Huntsman is pro-life and has actually signed anti-abortion legislation into law.
Quote:
Fortunately Governor Huntsman, a life-long, no flip flops pro-lifer, has actually signed anti-abortion legislation into law -http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/167673-huntsman-wont-sign-taxes-abortion-pledges
That, plus the strange tenets of the Mormon faith, makes him a no-go for me.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It has been proven. Over and over again. Look, I get it. You are threatened by reality, but the fact is that evolution is not in contradiction to religion and never was. You can still believe in your god, and you can believe that that god guided evolutionary process. Not that I think that is a wise thing to do, but again, evolution and religion are not completely incompatible.
IT HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN. There has been lots of supporting evidence to support the THEORY, but they have NOT proven it.

Why on gods earth do you people, who claim to be old enough to be posting here, not know this?

Old 08-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Just like the liberals presenting this thread.

They have no problem making children into tools..
Does believing in stupid generalizations make you feel better? You haven't proven your argument, so you can step off your mini pedestal any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections