Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The man has more class than any of the other candidates. He has solid credentials both at the state level and internationally. If I were looking at Resumes for persons qualified to fill the position, it would be hard to argue that his resume should not be at the top of the list.
Yes, on the Democrat ticket. I agree he's more qualified than the former congressmen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yes, on the Democrat ticket. I agree he's more qualified than the former congressmen.
Huntsman may be a whole lot more moderate on social issues than the average Republican, but he is definitely a fiscal conservative -- with a proven track record in that area.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,089 times
as i've said before, i like huntsman more than perry or romney by far, but i don't yet think that i could vote for him. he still seems to deflect when asked about his actual plans. instead of talking about point by point what he intends to do, he gives vague answers of the ultimate goal, nothing more.

i still have time to research him, and he still has time to sit down and actually start answering questions, but as of now, he doesn't have a chance of getting my vote.

that is one of the reasons why i like ron paul––he has very straightforward answers about how he intends to accomplish his presidential goals.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
as i've said before, i like huntsman more than perry or romney by far, but i don't yet think that i could vote for him. he still seems to deflect when asked about his actual plans. instead of talking about point by point what he intends to do, he gives vague answers of the ultimate goal, nothing more.

i still have time to research him, and he still has time to sit down and actually start answering questions, but as of now, he doesn't have a chance of getting my vote.

that is one of the reasons why i like ron paul––he has very straightforward answers about how he intends to accomplish his presidential goals.
Vague answers are the norm for politicians. The good thing with Huntsman is that you actually have a record to go by. As far as paul, he is blunt about what he believes, which is why there is very little gray area as far as support with little chance to sway voters. You either like him now or you will never like him. AIPAC hates Paul, which is one of the reasons that I like him, but I don't think he is electable.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Vague answers are the norm for politicians. The good thing with Huntsman is that you actually have a record to go by. As far as paul, he is blunt about what he believes, which is why there is very little gray area as far as support with little chance to sway voters. You either like him now or you will never like him. AIPAC hates Paul, which is one of the reasons that I like him, but I don't think he is electable.
think back to your debate class if you ever had one: vague answers are the norm for people that don't actually know what they are doing, don't have a tenable platform, and just want to hoodwink as many people as possible. the problem is that we, the people, have decided to be ok with these vague answers and unfulfilled promises. we're comfortable with knowing that none of our hopes are going to be realized and none of a candidate's words mean anything.

in that sense, political elections have more to do with theater than they do politics.

i like ron paul because he wants to get rid of the same government problems that i do, and because he is ridiculously honest.

just the honesty thing alone would be enough to buy my vote when compared to the last decade or so of "electable" candidates.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
think back to your debate class if you ever had one: vague answers are the norm for people that don't actually know what they are doing, don't have a tenable platform, and just want to hoodwink as many people as possible. the problem is that we, the people, have decided to be ok with these vague answers and unfulfilled promises. we're comfortable with knowing that none of our hopes are going to be realized and none of a candidate's words mean anything.

in that sense, political elections have more to do with theater than they do politics.

i like ron paul because he wants to get rid of the same government problems that i do, and because he is ridiculously honest.

just the honesty thing alone would be enough to buy my vote when compared to the last decade or so of "electable" candidates.
Political debates are not the same as real debates. They should be, but they are not. Political debates are nothing more than spewing of talking points and one liners. I compliment Paul for his honesty; however, a lot of people don't like some of his honest answers on his positions. That is why he is unelectable. He will confront hard issues, but the answers to some of these questions leave a bad taste in the mouths of many.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:04 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
I actually like Huntsman----I find him down to earth, logical, practical, intelligent, and eager to tackle problems. Which is exactly why he has no shot of winning the GOP nominaton.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Political debates are not the same as real debates. They should be, but they are not. Political debates are nothing more than spewing of talking points and one liners.
that is my point, and the point that i lament.

Quote:
I compliment Paul for his honesty; however, a lot of people don't like some of his honest answers on his positions. That is why he is unelectable. He will confront hard issues, but the answers to some of these questions leave a bad taste in the mouths of many.
i am not going to pretend that everything he says is golden, or that i value every one of his political stances or presidential goals. but he has real answers to real problems that we are facing as a nation.

i'll take his abrasive honesty and problem solving over the substance-less and theatrical hanky panky practiced by the other candidates.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
that is my point, and the point that i lament.

i am not going to pretend that everything he says is golden, or that i value every one of his political stances or presidential goals. but he has real answers to real problems that we are facing as a nation.

i'll take his abrasive honesty and problem solving over the substance-less and theatrical hanky panky practiced by the other candidates.
Well that is why I like Kucinich. I wish he was running. Maybe Paul could be his VP.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
'Intimidation', and 'scared' are two of the fringe right's favorite buzz words. They've neglected to update them and after two years it has become laughable and cliche.
they don't have access to a thesaurus. Maybe why they like palin. you betcha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections