Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that same-sex attractions are similar to alcoholism?
Yes 8 8.70%
No 79 85.87%
Not sure 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
From the book, On My Honor by Rick Perry, 2008:

Rick Perry Compared Homosexuality To Alcoholism, Condemned ‘Radical Gays’ For Promoting ‘Gay Lifestyle’ | ThinkProgress

I'm not sure whether to think of his statement as ignorant or bizarre - or both.

If anyone here agrees with him, please explain why. I'm sure it will lead to an intellectually stimulating discussion. (Ha.)
Sounds like he speaks from personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
From the book, On My Honor by Rick Perry, 2008:

Rick Perry Compared Homosexuality To Alcoholism, Condemned ‘Radical Gays’ For Promoting ‘Gay Lifestyle’ | ThinkProgress

I'm not sure whether to think of his statement as ignorant or bizarre - or both.

If anyone here agrees with him, please explain why. I'm sure it will lead to an intellectually stimulating discussion. (Ha.)
Well, yes...you do choose to act on it. Just like you choose to act on anything you desire to do, including eating food, driving to work, etc. You have the inherent impulse and you choose to either do it or not.

The question is whether or not that is harmful to yourself or society. In the one (alcoholism), the answer is yes. In the other, the answer is no. That, I believe is where the debate will begin.

However, what he implies here is that you're born homosexual...that should satisfy a lot of people who are tired of the 'do you choose to BE gay?' debate. Obviously not. You only choose to have gay sex. Just like you don't choose to be a heterosexual. You only choose to have sex with the opposite gender.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:17 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Now you're gonna make me hijack the thread, thanks. lol I never understood why someone who hasn't had a drop of alcohol in over twenty years still refers to themselves as an "alcoholic" yet you never hear someone who quit smoking years ago call themselves a "smoker" despite nicotine being the harder habit to kick.
I pretty much agree with you that continuing to call oneself an "alcoholic" after decades of sobriety is not necessarily a good thing because the word itself carries a stigma. I think that after 20 years one can reasonably say, "I was an alcoholic 20 years ago but haven't touched a drop since then."

Getting back to Perry--he is a politician and a conservative Christian, not a psychologist or a scientist. Had gay activists not forced the issue into the political arena, it would not now be a political issue. Just saying........

Old 08-26-2011, 09:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Getting back to Perry--he is a politician and a conservative Christian, not a psychologist or a scientist. Had gay activists not forced the issue into the political arena, it would not now be a political issue. Just saying........
Had they been afforded basic human treatment and rights, they wouldn't have had to take it to the political arena.

Darn all those mistreated people who take it to the political arena so they can stop being treated as second-class citizens!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
How can you call gay unions "unnational unions" when there are plenty of examples in the animal kingdom of same sex sexual encounters? Who's pushing the so-called "gay agenda" in the world of dolphins, orangutans, and zebras?

Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate

Homosexual behavior in animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So.... packs of gay wolves, or gay mallards mated for life? Or are you trying to say gay men are nothing better then animals, when it comes to pleasuring themselves?

No. I'm saying that a certain percentage of humans and members of the animal kingdom are wired to be homosexual rather than heterosexual. It's not a "choice" when it's a natural occurrence in nature. For mankind to continue to label homosexuality as "a sin" is archaic.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:42 AM

332 posts, read 532,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How can you call gay unions "unnational unions" when there are plenty of examples in the animal kingdom of same sex sexual encounters? Who's pushing the so-called "gay agenda" in the world of dolphins, orangutans, and zebras?

Homosexual Activity Among Animals Stirs Debate

Homosexual behavior in animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So.... packs of gay wolves, or gay mallards mated for life? Or are you trying to say gay men are nothing better then animals, when it comes to pleasuring themselves?
I think what they are trying to state is that same sex attraction is natural since it happens in the natural world without human intervention.
Same sex activities in animals is NOT geared only towards procreation. It is used for dominance, friendship, etc. Thats why animals still have sex with infertile species like Mules, since they dont link sexual activites with procreation only. Thats is not how the animal kingdom works, us included.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:58 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Had they been afforded basic human treatment and rights, they wouldn't have had to take it to the political arena.

Darn all those mistreated people who take it to the political arena so they can stop being treated as second-class citizens!
"Basic human treatment and rights" lolololololololo

Gays are treated better in this country than almost any "group." They are put on a pedestal and given special treatment such as "protected class." They profess to want to be treated equally, but if you ever criticize a gay person, just as you might criticize anyone else, you're immediately labeled a bigot. Gays are glorified on television, movies and the media. It is hip and trendy to be gay in this country, and the gay community is untouchable.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:

Gays are treated better in this country than almost any "group." They are put on a pedestal and given special treatment such as "protected class." They profess to want to be treated equally, but if you ever criticize a gay person, just as you might criticize anyone else, you're immediately labeled a bigot. Gays are glorified on television, movies and the media. It is hip and trendy to be gay in this country, and the gay community is untouchable.
What a load of crap. Special treatment...what "special treatment"...?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM

332 posts, read 532,582 times
Quote:

Gay community being untouchable huh?

How about all those hate crimes. Or about some of those obvious hate crimes not labeled as such in court. Tell that statement to the parents of Mr. Broussard, Mr. Shepherd, etc. I think that statement is kind of out of place. I do agree with you on the criticizing a gay person and be labeld a bigot, just as I do not like people being called racist when only "criticizing" ethnic minorities. But only criticizing ok, beyond that I am definitely not ok with it. There is a difference.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:09 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
What a load of crap. Special treatment...what "special treatment"...?
Have you never heard of the term "hate crimes?" or "protected status?" Why should any group get preferential treatment over another group? Gays are glorified and untouchable in this country. It is great to be gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections