Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,138,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I saw my first 2008 Presidential Race sign today on the road. It was a small blue and white sign that said "Ron Paul For President" and it was in Tennessee. It made me wonder why I haven't seen more Presidential candidates' signs.
Glad you saw it :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
It is not a "trivial issue" and telling me an issue I'm concerned about is trivial and unimportant isn't the way to get my vote.

Like I said, I haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, that doesn't mean I won't. Frankly on Ron Paul's own site his position comes across much stronger then you all make it out to be.

So I appreciate the clarification. I am pro-choice but like most think abortion is a horrible choice for anyone to make and not one I would personally endorse. My stance is still that abortions WILL happen regardless of law and I think a safe, legal process beats back-ally coat-hangers any day.

I agree that Ron Paul about states rights. In fact, I agree with Ron Paul on EVERY other issue which is why (despite our disagreement on abortion) he is at the top of my list right now... by far.
Sporin, there are a few issues I disagree with Ron Paul over, and the one you pointed out is one of the best. Although I personally consider these type issues to be more side dishes than the main course, I also understand why many people vote according to a single issue they feel so strongly about. I would just hate to see an issue like gay marriage or abortion for instance, become injected into the Presidential race as a means to detract from the main course.

We are in the middle of a brutal war, our government is behaving like some shadow organization wrought with paranoia and fear, our taxation system is clearly in need of some serious overhaul and out health care in America is dismal when looking at most other westernized nations. We have national borders that are as porous as a sponge, our foreign policy makes as much sense as the tax code and cost twice as much, and then for kicks we will all go nuts over whether or not the 10 commandments are in the county courthouse... makes no sense to me.

I realize there will be many who disagree but my main point is that the issues I am concerned with most of all are issues that effect EVERY American, not just gays, or women, or some special interest group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,558,619 times
Great post,TnHilltopper. I myself was a single issue voter in '04, and have since realized that choosing the lesser of two evils still leaves one making a bad choice. I pray hard that Ron Paul will be the nominee, as I don't see anyone able to beat him on the Democrat side. Anyone else would be more of the same, and probably lose to Hillary. We'd be hard pressed to find any candidate that will meet our specifications as perfect, but my opinion is that Ron Paul, agree with him or not, is THE Champion of the Constitution, and will be the only one who makes any attempt to return the US to a constitutional republic.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,535,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I realize there will be many who disagree but my main point is that the issues I am concerned with most of all are issues that effect EVERY American, not just gays, or women, or some special interest group.
I agree and am determined not to be a 1-issue-voter this election, the economic & foreign policy stakes are just to high right now to "fall for" hot button social issues that won't actually be dealt with anyway.

It's a sham really. The RNC & DNC get "us" to focus on the small stuff while ignoring the big stuff. It takes a concious effort to ignore the static.

That is why Ron Paul, despite our differences on Roe v. Wade, is still at the top of my list.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 AM

49,955 posts, read 63,265,686 times
Although I approve of most of what he says, I just saw him on CSPAN in NH and he was so low key and lacking in energy and charisma, I fear he is doomed to fail. I'd rather hitch my wagon to someone who has a possibility of winning.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,535,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Although I approve of most of what he says, I just saw him on CSPAN in NH and he was so low key and lacking in energy and charisma, I fear he is doomed to fail. I'd rather hitch my wagon to someone who has a possibility of winning.
that is, unfortunately, the reason the current system will be never change.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,756,993 times
Quote:
Although I approve of most of what he says, I just saw him on CSPAN in NH and he was so low key and lacking in energy and charisma, I fear he is doomed to fail.
That's my real reason for believing his chances are nil. In order for someone to carry his exciting, independent message all the way to the top, they have to be able to captivate the imagination of an audience. Ron Paul is good at putting people to sleep, and he always looks unhappy.

Barak Obama would be a great character to deliver Ron Paul's message because of the charisma factor. But alas... I think we're stuck with a Rudy-Hillary election and a third party candidate who will be the spoiler throwing the election to one of those two mainstream androids.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:18 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,309,993 times
Quote:
from now on I vote my conscience,I will not let the mainstream media dictated to me who is "winable" or not.

Look at the support for RP on this forum alone,seems to me he is quite winable.

It has become quite apparent these days that mainstream media in general force feeds us nominees,while they may mention all candidates,they repeat over and over again their "selection",much like a radio station plays a song over and over till it sticks in your mind.

I ain't playing that game,I have a mind of my own,I know overall the "top nominees " of both parties are not a step in the right direction,while RP is.

You can fool some of the people,but not all the people.I'm not a sheep,and I don't need to be herded.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,309,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
That's my real reason for believing his chances are nil. In order for someone to carry his exciting, independent message all the way to the top, they have to be able to captivate the imagination of an audience. Ron Paul is good at putting people to sleep, and he always looks unhappy.

Barak Obama would be a great character to deliver Ron Paul's message because of the charisma factor. But alas... I think we're stuck with a Rudy-Hillary election and a third party candidate who will be the spoiler throwing the election to one of those two mainstream androids.
first of all Clinton,Obama,Gulliani and many of theother candidates records speak for themselves.Now they will smile at me,change their tune and I'm suppose to be inspired?

What inspires me is sincerity,something sorely lacking these days which RP has whether he is smiling or not.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,558,619 times
Quote:
Well gentlearts, the only thing I can tell you is to believe that Ron can win. If more folks like us will stand on our convictions and take the hollywood attributes out of the picture, I'm convinced that there would be a landslide of support for Ron Paul. He is beating the daylights out of his competitors in the debates, and look at the polls in comparison to the money spent on campaigning. Is there really any reason for the "frontrunners" to not be there? Hell they've spent a fortune already on making promises. Promises they intend to keep by using our tax dollars to buy those votes.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,138,054 times
I read these post and I must laugh to myself as I picture the board rooms of CNN, Fox, RNC the DNC and like institutions all sitting at big tables scratching their heads wondering how to deal with this Ron Paul guy.

I am seeing Democrats who disagree with Ron Paul's stance on social issues, I am seeing Republicans who disagree with Ron Paul's anti-war or non intervention policies all putting aside their various concerns and meeting in the middle for the purpose of cleaning the house. When we as a nation take care of some serious festering core issues here at home, then we can return to fighting for the nuances of differences between political philosophies.

I certainly don't know whether or not Ron Paul will get elected but it is quite clear that both sides of the political spectrum see the need for change and this election cycle will be voting for something different. I believe he is electable and does have a good chance, but I am stuck as the idealistic optimist, even at my age when most of my peers are steeped with a jaded outlook.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can not, you are usually right"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections