Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the general election?
Obama 15 57.69%
Perry or Romney 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,438,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
See, this is the problem with Ron Paul supporters.

They don't truly support his issues.
generalize much?

Quote:
And he has no control over his supporters, he's just riding a wave of internet popularity and crazy conspiracy theorists.
insult much? not at all obvious that you've got a bias here. but you can keep trying to hide it behind a thin veneer of pseudo-intellectualism and thoughtfulness.

Quote:
Heck, most of his supporters are surprised to learn he's against abortion even in cases of rape and incest.
you have a source for that?

Quote:
Do you think Ron Paul would want or advise any of his supporters to vote for Obama? Of course not. Would voting for Obama violate EVERY SINGLE ITEM on Paul's platform? YES.
so will voting for ANY of the other republican candidates.

Quote:
But his mixed up supporters will do it anyway -- just goes to show they really could care less about his platform and issues.

Keep in mind, I don't blame Ron Paul for his supporters. It's not his fault.
to the contrary, the biggest reason i support paul, and the biggest reason the people i know that support paul is his policy. not because he's so cool, or because the internet says he's cool.

it is the constitutional doctrines that he supports that specifically draw most of the paul supporters that i know.

you're batting average is pretty low at the moment. might want to try aiming a little higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Policy like low taxes, low regulation, and a no-compromises pro life platform?

I agree with voting for policy. But it doesn't seem like the majority of Ron Paul supporters do (note the poll results).
not sure if you noticed amidst your generalizations and insults, but there were only two poll options. i am pretty sure that like myself, many of the paul supporters that checked this thread out didn't pick either one of the options because they both suck.

and yes, there are people that agree wholeheartedly with his stance on those three platforms.

i don't agree with a no-compromises pro-life stance, but i certainly agree with more of paul's stances than with any other candidate that i have ever voted for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Anyone who supports Ron Paul and ends up voting for Obama (if RP doesn't get the republican nomination) is a giant hypocrite.
only as much as voting for one of the other republican candidates would also make that person a hypocrite––using your logic.

but there are a couple of facts that poke holes in your logic.

i think you are forgetting that a fair number of paul's supporters are liberals who would default to the left, not the right, if paul doesn't get the nomination.

and that would not make them any more hypocritical than any other voter who has ever voted for a candidate that they agree with on some or most points, but not on all of them.

Quote:
Whether Paul's supporters believe it or not-- Paul's platform has a lot more in common with the Republican platform than it does with the Democrats.

If it didn't, Ron Paul would be part of the Democratic party wouldn't he?
bull crap. the current republican party is just as ridiculous, corrupt, pro-big-government, and ineffective as is the current democratic party. it has a little more in common, not a lot.

and again, that doesn't invalidate the liberal voters that have sided with paul.

EDIT: now, if you were talking about traditional republican values, then yes, you would be right. but i understood you to be talking about the current republican party's direction, which is entirely not in line with paul or traditional republican values.

Quote:
Obama is the exact opposite of Ron Paul on almost every issue... especially government spending, inflation, auditing the fed, and Keynesian economics.
and which of the other republican candidates is on paul's side of that debate? that would be none of them. they all side with obama there.

Quote:
Ron Paul would have a heart attack if he realized his former supporters were voting for a man who wants to increase government handouts and continue printing and pumping fiat money into the economy.
similar to the bush administration's bailouts, you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Depends on the State. Independents can't vote in FL primaries.
same in utah. that is why, much as i hate leaving an independent status, i just registered as a republican so that i could vote for paul in the primaries. soon as that is done, i'm independent again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,263,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
and which of the other republican candidates is on paul's side of that debate? that would be none of them. they all side with obama there.
Ok hear me out on this...

Their rhetoric points to them being on Paul's side of a lot of issues:
including smaller government, cutting spending, auditing the fed, lowering taxes, pro-life...list goes on and on... But whether or not they will fulfill these promises is anyone's guess. They might... or they might not (like W, who ended up being a huge neocon).

However, with Obama, you are guaranteed more spending, bigger government, more taxes, Keynesian economics. You are guaranteed the opposite of what Ron Paul stands for.

It just depends on what you want... do you want a candidate (Obama) who guarantees the opposite of Ron Paul? Or do you want to take a chance (republican) with a candidate who may end up doing some of what Ron Paul wants?

I am a huge Ron Paul supporter and really hope he gets the nomination this time. I've donated a lot to his campaign. But if he doesn't get the nod-- I'll take the "chance" (republican) over the "guarantee" (Obama)

Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
EDIT: now, if you were talking about traditional republican values, then yes, you would be right. but i understood you to be talking about the current republican party's direction, which is entirely not in line with paul or traditional republican values.
I was talking about traditional republican values

Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 AM

24,323 posts, read 26,701,005 times
Quote:
I was talking about traditional republican values
Traditional Republican values no longer exist in the Republican Party. I guess they still push for low taxes, but they want a huge empire, so it discredits the entire way low taxes work. You can only have low taxes if you have a small government. Republicans want low taxes and a large international empire, which is just unrealistic and mathematically impossible.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 AM

888 posts, read 879,322 times
Quote:
Anyone who supports Ron Paul and ends up voting for Obama (if RP doesn't get the republican nomination) is a giant hypocrite.

Whether Paul's supporters believe it or not-- Paul's platform has a lot more in common with the Republican platform than it does with the Democrats. If it didn't, Ron Paul would be part of the Democratic party wouldn't he?

Obama is the exact opposite of Ron Paul on almost every issue... especially government spending, inflation, auditing the fed, and Keynesian economics. Ron Paul would have a heart attack if he realized his former supporters were voting for a man who wants to increase government handouts and continue printing and pumping fiat money into the economy.
A hypocrite is a person who acts in contradiction to his/her stated feelings or beliefs.
My feelings and beliefs are personal (and not always stated publicly, therefore the public does not really know all of my feelings and beliefs, therefore, it would be theoretically impossible for the public to optimally judge me). If I aggregate my feelings and beliefs together, there is no evidence that I am a hypocrite for favoring Obama over the other candidates if RPaul does not run against him.

People are making this overcomplicated. It is really very simple. It is RPaul vs. the rest. To me there is not a heck of a lot of difference between RPerry and BO. We have a pool of candidates. I plan to vote no matter what. If RPaul does not face off against BO, I favor BO.

It might be hard for some conservatives to fathom, but RPaul to me can be so far right that he is left - and that really appeals to me. If I cannot have him as prez, more than likely I will hold my nose and vote Democrat.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Traditional Republican values no longer exist in the Republican Party. I guess they still push for low taxes, but they want a huge empire, so it discredits the entire way low taxes work. You can only have low taxes if you have a small government. Republicans want low taxes and a large international empire, which is just unrealistic and mathematically impossible.
They may, or they may not. W campaigned on less interventionism in 2000... he ended up lying about this... but because of one bad apple I don't think we can paint with a large brush

We don't really know what we will get with Perry or Romney... but we are certain what we will get with Obama.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,387,270 times
Neither. I will never vote for either one of the big parties, unless Ron Paul wins the Republican nomination. I will vote Libertarian.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:47 AM

24,323 posts, read 26,701,005 times
Quote:
They may, or they may not. W campaigned on less interventionism in 2000... he ended up lying about this... but because of one bad apple I don't think we can paint with a large brush

We don't really know what we will get with Perry or Romney... but we are certain what we will get with Obama.
Every Republican candidate said they would use force if need be to prevent Iran from developing A nuclear weapon. Ron Paul was the only one who didn't vote yes and was mocked by the Fox News commentators and other Republican candidates. Every Republican candidate believes we should support Israel unconditionally with money and military. Ron Paul was the only one who didn't agree with this. At least Obama recommended to Israel to change their borders with Palestine back to the 1967. Obama was the first president to make such a suggestion, a suggestion that was condemned and ridiculed by every Republican candidate besides Ron Paul. Every Republican candidate ridiculed Obama for "leading from the back" on Libya. Go look up the news story when Obama made that decision. Every candidate said it was a mistake to make it a NATO operation instead of an American operation. Many prominent Republican leaders said we should send in ground troops to take out Gaddafi. So while, Obama still intervenes, at least he doesn't make it a massive American led cluster *&ck.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:48 AM

76,829 posts, read 47,156,824 times
Quote:
Taxes are low already (except corporate taxes). It is the Republican war mongering which turns people off. Perry made a speech yesterday which could have been written my Cheney himself. It sounded like 2002 and the "build a case for Iraq" speeches all over again.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:48 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,860,638 times
Quote:
I like many others on CD wish Ron Paul would be in the general election. However, reality is he will not win the Republican nomination and I'd say 95% chance it will be Obama vs Romney or Perry. I'm curious how Ron Paul supporters will vote in that scenario. I will vote for Obama.
I will vote for Ron Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections