U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 01:09 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,787,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and that is really pretty sad: it is hard for me to beleive anyone is so narrow minded as to actually say they wouldn't believe a word someone said..Oh well, there is no changing you and you certainly have a right to your views.

Nita
If you've followed Rick Perry and what he's done vs. what he claims he's done, then take his public statements over the last 4 years and how he's flipped over time, then that would surely have something to do with my assessment of him.
He reminds me of the snake in Chinese mythology right after he bit the hand that fed him. "You knew I was a snake all along." I for one will be very wary of him and see him for what he really is right up front.

As far as being narrowminded, I've lost count of just the posters on this board who don't believe a word President Obama says. I guess the door swings both ways on that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM

11,166 posts, read 11,212,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Perry is a "doosh", but he is correct on this one.
He is NOT correct on this one. If they would just raise the cap on wages from 108K to 198K the program could be funded easily until the baby boomers died off and the retiree numbers returned to normal.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM

7,181 posts, read 16,247,704 times
FYI, noting the fact that Social Security is a Ponzi scheme has been a standard part of the GOP platform for many years. It's not in any way radical or new, and whatever elderly voters that might have scared off would have left the GOP years ago.

Everyone's favorite "moderate" Republican, John McCain, has been saying the exact same thing since at least back in 2008:

McCain On Social Security: ‘It’s A Ponzi Scheme That Bernie Madoff Would Be Proud Of’ | ThinkProgress

44 - McCain Sparks Controversy with Social Security 'Disgrace' Comments

Old 08-29-2011, 01:48 PM

51,736 posts, read 41,660,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
This certainly won't help Perry with elderly voters, who are the most reliable voters btw

Rick Perry says Social Security is a "Ponzi scheme" and a "monstrous lie" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
It doesn't help with independents like myself either that recognize that a paygo system is NOT a ponzi scheme.

There is about a 20 page paper you have to read and know on these types of plans (and how they differ from a ponzi scheme) if you want to be an actuary.

Perry is DOA once a real candidate like Romney throws his hat in the ring. If not, this will be an easy win for a vulnerable Obama in 2012. (Kinda like when the dems ran Kerry the pathetic against a vulnerable Bush in 2004.)

Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM

51,736 posts, read 41,660,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
He is NOT correct on this one. If they would just raise the cap on wages from 108K to 198K the program could be funded easily until the baby boomers died off and the retiree numbers returned to normal.
^^^The irony is that a lot of people that would get hit hard by that are actually east and west coast blue staters that already hate the AMTI. Look at all the people out in DC, Virginia etc. where you need 2 incomes totalling 200k+ in order to afford those "average" 600k homes.

Could you provide a link to a source crunching the numbers and showing the above?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,849,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If you've followed Rick Perry and what he's done vs. what he claims he's done, then take his public statements over the last 4 years and how he's flipped over time, then that would surely have something to do with my assessment of him.
He reminds me of the snake in Chinese mythology right after he bit the hand that fed him. "You knew I was a snake all along." I for one will be very wary of him and see him for what he really is right up front.

As far as being narrowminded, I've lost count of just the posters on this board who don't believe a word President Obama says. I guess the door swings both ways on that issue.

I, for one don't trust Obama or Perry, actually though I don't trust any politician so I guess I don't count...lol. I am not entirely sure why, but Perry bothers me.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 PM

7,181 posts, read 16,247,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I, for one don't trust Obama or Perry, actually though I don't trust any politician so I guess I don't count...lol. I am not entirely sure why, but Perry bothers me.
I wonder if he has an image problem with women in general? In the latest CNN poll, while he leads in every category, the differential in men/women is significant. 32% of male Republicans favor him, while only 23% of females do. Romney has a much more balanced distribution, with 14% of males and 15% of females supporting him.

So, there is something for Rick Perry to work on there, definitely.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,849,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I wonder if he has an image problem with women in general? In the latest CNN poll, while he leads in every category, the differential in men/women is significant. 32% of male Republicans favor him, while only 23% of females do. Romney has a much more balanced distribution, with 14% of males and 15% of females supporting him.

So, there is something for Rick Perry to work on there, definitely.

Not sure about the gender difference. I see a lot of posters who are women on this site and others who seem to be gaga over him. He just doesn't do it for me for some reason yet.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM

12,439 posts, read 10,290,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Not sure about the gender difference. I see a lot of posters who are women on this site and others who seem to be gaga over him. He just doesn't do it for me for some reason yet.
Maybe your gaydar is working.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 PM

20,978 posts, read 16,229,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So long as there is a cap on taxable income the fund will be insecure. Apply the tax to all income from all sources and cap the benefits to the lower 80% of wage earners and the system will be solvent forever. The "baby boom" problem has been created by the fact that most of the wealth created by the baby boomers has not been subject to the SS tax.

Senator Sanders (D-VT) has proposed a bill to rectify this glaring deficiency in funding social Security.

Gov. Perry's claims are a bogus as his background.
Those who don't or won't need it should be able to opt out. Afterall, it's NOT a welfare program now is it?

You want to means test something that is promised to you and taken from you against your will?

As far as bogus backgrounds, look at the idiot in the White House!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or