U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,283,838 times
Reputation: 3137

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I wonder how this will be spun. The AP is discussing how orthodox Jews were angry at Weprin for voting for gay marriage. I suspect this will get heavy play.
GAY Marriage. That is not the issue with largely orthodox Jewish population in that district. It is Weprins support of a Muslim Mosque at ground zero and his perceived softness on Israel. Zionist like NeoCon Republicans. No big surprise here. Eventhough Weprin was Jewish, he was not Zionist enough for the orthodox Jews in that district. No spin. That is just the way that it is.

Fortunately, most of the conservative orthodox Jewish population is concentrated in that part of the country. It would be even better if they just moved to Israel and leave us the rest of us alone. Of course, they probably have dual citizenship, which in my mind should prevent them from voting in the U.S., because of conflict of interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,511,206 times
Reputation: 7107
3-1 dem district. turner made it all about obama, his stance against Israel, his fiscal policies.

Republican wins New York Democratic House seat - politics - msnbc.com

Quote:
“President Obama needs to hear from us. He needs to get the message that Jewish Democrats have had it with how he’s treating Israel.”
Well, he didn't seem to get the message from 2010, so I don't know if he'll get this one either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM
 
Location: NY
12,263 posts, read 9,414,349 times
Reputation: 8028
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
GAY Marriage. That is not the issue with largely orthodox Jewish population in that district. It is Weprins support of a Muslim Mosque at ground zero and his perceived softness on Israel. Zionist like NeoCon Republicans. No big surprise here. Eventhough Weprin was Jewish, he was not Zionist enough for the orthodox Jews in that district. No spin. That is just the way that it is.

Fortunately, most of the conservative orthodox Jewish population is concentrated in that part of the country. It would be even better if they just moved to Israel and leave us the rest of us alone. Of course, they probably have dual citizenship, which in my mind should prevent them from voting in the U.S., because of conflict of interest.
The only reason I mentioned the gay marriage angle is this is the second time I've read or heard it brought up today. Democrats are going to be looking to spin this loss, and bashing Orthodox Jews for their "unenlightened views" would certainly be a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,283,838 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The only reason I mentioned the gay marriage angle is this is the second time I've read or heard it brought up today. Democrats are going to be looking to spin this loss, and bashing Orthodox Jews for their "unenlightened views" would certainly be a possibility.
Who said "unenlightened views". That is not the term that I would use. I would say for their Zionist views. I don't have a problem with people supporting Israel; however, when that support is more important than this country, then I have a problem. I think there is a major problem when the primary reason for voting against a candidate is whether they are not pro israel and anti-muslim enough.

Also, I would strongly urge you to visit Brooklyn in one of these heavily dense Orthodox Jewish areas and talk about Jesus, and see how far your freedom of speech and Religion get you. Friend, you are in for a rude awakening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,511,206 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
Also, I would strongly urge you to visit Brooklyn in one of these heavily dense Orthodox Jewish areas and talk about Jesus, and see how far your freedom of speech and Religion get you. Friend, you are in for a rude awakening.
You know that Turner is a Catholic, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,283,838 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You know that Turner is a Catholic, right?
Yes, I know he is Catholic. They threw a Jewish Person under the bus. It is not whether a person is Jewish or Catholic. It is their stance on Israel that is more important. You do understand that not all Jewish people believe the same things don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 39,511,206 times
Reputation: 7107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yes, I know he is Catholic. They threw a Jewish Person under the bus. It is not whether a person is Jewish or Catholic. It is their stance on Israel that is more important. You do understand that not all Jewish people believe the same things don't you?
You said this;

Quote:
Also, I would strongly urge you to visit Brooklyn in one of these heavily dense Orthodox Jewish areas and talk about Jesus, and see how far your freedom of speech and Religion get you. Friend, you are in for a rude awakening.
Obviously, you are wrong, since they voted for a man who talks about and believes in Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,283,838 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You said this;



Obviously, you are wrong, since they voted for a man who talks about and believes in Jesus.
Surely you are not that dense. They are not inviting him into their home to talk about Jesus. They are electing him to the house to vote for Israel. Have you never heard of the saying the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Please make an intellectual argument. I am getting bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 PM
 
Location: NC
10,005 posts, read 8,996,488 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
3-1 dem district. turner made it all about obama, his stance against Israel, his fiscal policies.
Outside of the South this district had the highest number of Democratic crossover voters for McCain in 2008. Democratic Party registration in this district means about as much as Democratic party registration in the state of Kentucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2011, 11:23 PM
 
Location: NY
12,263 posts, read 9,414,349 times
Reputation: 8028
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Who said "unenlightened views". That is not the term that I would use. I would say for their Zionist views. I don't have a problem with people supporting Israel; however, when that support is more important than this country, then I have a problem. I think there is a major problem when the primary reason for voting against a candidate is whether they are not pro israel and anti-muslim enough.

Also, I would strongly urge you to visit Brooklyn in one of these heavily dense Orthodox Jewish areas and talk about Jesus, and see how far your freedom of speech and Religion get you. Friend, you are in for a rude awakening.
Goodness, someone has their knickers in a sharp twist tonight. I'm very familiar area with the area and that has nothing to do with Jesus or freedom of whatever.

This is about the media and how they are going to find talking points, or spin, to explain this election. Don't be surprised to hear the gay marriage angle come up, especially here in NYC. They won't want to blame Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top