U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Central Illinois -
21,403 posts, read 14,296,716 times
Reputation: 14526

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So you know more than a jury of his peers? Perry did nothing more than head a state that adhered to the laws of that state. He executed nobody.

Wonder why the audience applauded when capital punishment was discussed? Not because conservatives are a bunch of evil killers. It was because we're sick of murderers getting away with killing children, law enforcement and innocent americans. If they get the death penalty, after a trial, appeals, and yet more appeals, the law says they will be put to death. Keeping them alive is a slap in the face to the INNOCENT victims of those crimes. I'm so sick of liberals coming out to defend murderers based on "feelings".
Outrage people feel over murdering people unjustly convicted is based on "facts", not "feelings".

Get your story straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM
 
26,295 posts, read 17,225,929 times
Reputation: 10277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Actually no you are wrong. The state executed him.
Here's the deal so that you can stop playing word games and semantics...

Quote:
Meanwhile, the San Antonio Express-News weighed in yesterday with an editorial headlined, "DNA test needed in Skinner case." The editorial concluded: "The governor should stay Skinner's execution until the physical evidence can be tested to determine if indeed he committed the crime for which he has been sentenced to death."
Editorials Throughout Texas Call for a Reprieve and DNA Testing in Skinner case | Medill Innocence Project

Perry has the power to "stay" an execution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Status: "On The Lookout" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,404 posts, read 61,862,013 times
Reputation: 31984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Rick Perry did not execute anyone....
A jury of 12 did...
Try to keep the facts straight.
In sequence:
The trial process (jury in this case) "finds" a person guilty... and imposes a sentence.
(sometimes the person is actually guilty)
The Governor signs the actual execution order (or doesn't).

hth


Ron White Texas Death Penalty - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:27 AM
 
5,331 posts, read 6,126,167 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"[P]eople all across the country have been set free from Death Row." Really?

Casey Anthony was guilty as sin and everybody knows it. She wasn't convicted, and she should have been.
Yes, really.

And the guilt or innocence of people on death row has zero to do with what a jury decided about Casey Anthony, what a non sequitur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Central Illinois -
21,403 posts, read 14,296,716 times
Reputation: 14526
More info. on this case:

Cameron Todd Willingham – Innocent and Executed » Statement of Sam Bassett on Forensic Science Commission’s Report on Todd Willingham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Texas
26,629 posts, read 11,160,696 times
Reputation: 6106
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Don't take my word for it, look at the facts surrounding the fire. The investigators who concluded he was guilty were wrong, and they made serious errors. Thats what Brian Williams was asking Perry about at the debate, whether the chance existed he executed someone wrongfully. Perry, of course, said no, which is crazy, considering how many people all across the country have been set free from Death Row.

Cameron Todd Willingham had no reason to set fire to his house and kill his children, maintaining innocence till the end. After reading his story, I have to agree with him.

Cameron Todd Willingham, Texas, and the death penalty : The New Yorker
Bad enough when a guilty man gets executed. The government doesn't own your body. No one has the right to take anothers life except in self defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 AM
 
26,295 posts, read 17,225,929 times
Reputation: 10277
Quote:
It is clear that the State Fire Marshal’s Office should have done more to keep pace with science and inform fire investigators throughout Texas once NFPA 921 was published. If they had done so, perhaps Mr. Willingham would have had a new trial at which the jury would have had the benefit of an investigation based upon good science. Instead, those who could have done something to shed scientific light on the case did nothing and Mr. Willingham was executed.
Sadly, science has very little value to Rick Perry. He has proven this on issues concerning climate science and evolutiuion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,724 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Reputation: 41564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
But he could have pardoned him and thus enabled further investigation, right?

Americans always seem to look for simple solutions, like killing convicts, deporting the unemployed to other countries, etc.
you need to look up the meaning of pardon. Pardon means to release and remove the guilt. It is total forgiveness.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,724 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Reputation: 41564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, who did screw up when that guy was innocent? Someone must have screwed up...
Is there at least some sort of financial compensation paid to the ones left behind?
what makes you think this guy was innocent, because someone said he was? This has been hashed over and over. He was found guilty by 12 jurors, everything that could have been done was, it God Forbid he was innocent this is a tragedy, but it is not Perry's fault.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2011, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,724 posts, read 83,359,825 times
Reputation: 41564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"[P]eople all across the country have been set free from Death Row." Really?

Casey Anthony was guilty as sin and everybody knows it. She wasn't convicted, and she should have been.

I wonder if you know the facts about this man you claim was wrongfully executed? You are just assuming. And it wasn't Rick Perry who executed him anyway.

You get another from me.
Maybe some of these people including the OP have been reading too many John Grisham books and don't know the difference between fiction and reality.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top