Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Nobody is saying Ron Paul isn't intelligent. He was smart enough to get through Med school. That doesn't mean he's right, which he isn't.

Anyone that says that the government has no role in regulating food, drugs, safety, health, pollution, etc. is ignoring history. There was a public cry to regulate these areas precisely because the private market did not self-regulate.

In the 1960s, there was no voluntary move to add seat-belts, padded dashboards or laminated safety glass to cars; people were dying because of unsanitary foods; birth defects were caused by untested drugs; the air in LA was unbreathable and Lake Erie caught fire from the amount of flammable waste dumped into it.

Ron Paul intentionally ignores the lessons of history because history conflicts with his ideology.
Auto manufacturers, were installing seat belts before it was a law to do so. It was optional equipment. People had a choice.
Padded dashes were a design and fashion statement in luxury cars for a long time before the government decided all cars must have one, increasing the cost of the baseline econo auto purchase.

Foods and drugs, people were being held liable and jailed for knowingly committing manslaughter. Now no one is held accountable. A easy fine, and the Government lets you stay in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Auto manufacturers, were installing seat belts before it was a law to do so. It was optional equipment. People had a choice.
Padded dashes were a design and fashion statement in luxury cars for a long time before the government decided all cars must have one, increasing the cost of the baseline econo auto purchase.

Foods and drugs, people were being held liable and jailed for knowingly committing manslaughter. Now no one is held accountable. A easy fine, and the Government lets you stay in business.
First, Ford tried to install seatbelts and GM ran ads implying that Fords were unsafe. There was no widespread effort to offer seatbelts, especially in small, cheap cars -- where they were needed. The government mandate saved millions of lives.

Second, the remedy to stop food and drug companies from producing dangerous products is not the legal system, it's pre-testing. That's what the regulations mandate and are a far more effective method of keeping bad products off the market. I could care less that the executive who approved making a defective infant seat went to jail if my infant died in that seat.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
If not for the Federal Reserve, a loaf of bread would still be a nickle.
Gas would be .14¢ a gallon today.

Need me to explain how?
So, we should have the same amount of money in circulation regardless of population? Besides, your claim isn't even true. The Fed was formed in 1914. The economic history prior the Fed was littered with periods of wild inflation and deflation, not stable prices.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:26 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
If not for the Federal Reserve, a loaf of bread would still be a nickle.
Gas would be .14¢ a gallon today.

Need me to explain how?
Yes. Actually I would enjoy reading a detailed explanation of this theory.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes. Actually I would enjoy reading a detailed explanation of this theory.

Take a dollar and cut it in half and call each half a dollar.(print more money)
Now it takes 2 dollars to buy the same thing one dollar bought before.

Do that over and over for 100 years.....

Our dollar has .04¢ buying power compared to when the federal reserve was created, according to the latest finance committee

This thing, says a nickle
http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

$100.00 in 2011 had the same buying power as $4.56 in 1914.
Annual inflation over this period was 3.23%.

Last edited by BentBow; 09-09-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Are your wages rising as commodities are? Why?

Keep the printing presses going and everyone will be in the poor house, by the hand of the hidden tax of monetary easing, printing money when you need to pay off a debt.

I wish I could do that, but they would put me in prison for counterfeiting.
you're in the wrong line of Bidness. You need to work for the Feds. Didn't your mother teach you that government doesn't like stealing because they are afraid of the competition?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Nobody is saying Ron Paul isn't intelligent. He was smart enough to get through Med school. That doesn't mean he's right, which he isn't.

Anyone that says that the government has no role in regulating food, drugs, safety, health, pollution, etc. is ignoring history. There was a public cry to regulate these areas precisely because the private market did not self-regulate.

In the 1960s, there was no voluntary move to add seat-belts, padded dashboards or laminated safety glass to cars; people were dying because of unsanitary foods; birth defects were caused by untested drugs; the air in LA was unbreathable and Lake Erie caught fire from the amount of flammable waste dumped into it.

Ron Paul intentionally ignores the lessons of history because history conflicts with his ideology.
You mean the very same government that turned their heads when people tried to sue those companies for polluting? Rules are for suckers.
People were dying because they could not make informed decisions. That's the role of government right? Run peoples lives.
Mercedes was putting seat belts in cars for years. People had the option of putting in seat belts themselves. But people are stupid I guess, right?
I know maybe the federal government should invest everyones money for them so they can retire wealthy.

In this day and age with the wealth of information there is little need for the nanny state to look after us anymore.

When was the last time you walked into a restaurant and asked to see their health code paperwork?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
So, we should have the same amount of money in circulation regardless of population? Besides, your claim isn't even true. The Fed was formed in 1914. The economic history prior the Fed was littered with periods of wild inflation and deflation, not stable prices.
No it wasn't. Those periods were much shorter and caused less harm than the Great Depression which government orchestrated.
AND the main reason for those bad times was the very same government manipulation that caused our crisis today.

With competing currency the free market makes the call. Hold on to a dollar from 1965 and you cannot buy a gallon of gas today but if you held onto a silver dime from then, now you can buy it.

We must allow people to practice the very ideals we were founded on. Liberty and freedom. It's all about choices and NOT using force on people to make that choice. Force and coercion is not how society advances.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 AM

$1.00 in 2011 had the same buying power as $0.35 in 1980.Annual inflation over this period was 3.45%.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:33 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Well, I will tell you this much. When you go to Venezuela, your average unleaded gasoline is $.05 cents a liter which would be a bit over $0.17 cents a gallon here in the U.S. With that said, extraction and refinery costs are at par of that of any U.S. operation facility.

My wife was flabbergasted when she learned how much we paid to fill up the tank on a SUV on a trip we recently made. So, I don't think you can get gas as cheap as you would find it in Venezuela. However, I have always felt that gas could be on the vecinity of $1.00 if corruption among politicians and greed from big oil companies could be somehow contained. In a nutshell, I think Ron Paul's assessment is not far off.......!
There's a huuuuuge difference between the economics of oil in Venezuela and the U.S. Chavez has basically nationalized the oil of his own country and redistributed it on a controlled market. It's also worth pointing out that he's planning to raise the price of oil. Chavez has essentially encouraged wasteful use of a natural resource, which is unsustainable and he knows it.

The U.S. also consumes one hell of a lot more gas than Venezuela does. Moreover, the rolling blackouts and failures of power grids that occur with regularity down in Venezuela would not be tolerated here. Consequently, the U.S. is having to import a lot of its oil, and that oil is on the open market. The price of energy here is influenced by the laws of supply and demand more directly than they are in Venezuela, although even there, they will eventually have to confront the laws of supply and demand as well.

Ron Paul is true to his ideological form, but he's wrong if he thinks the U.S. can just set its own price for gas. The only way the U.S. will succeed in lowering the price of gas is to create devices which significantly slow the rate of consumption. More likely, though, the U.S. consumer will have to be more selective about what and how much it consumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections