U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:26 PM

2,829 posts, read 4,000,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I agree with the man on almost everything...except a woman's right to kill her unborn child. I'm a Christian and I personally think abortion is wrong...but I don't think it is my business to stop other people from doing it.

If they can live with the guilt etc, then it is between them and God... Sheesh...we have bigger fish to fry than Roe V Wade. Am I wrong?
Yep, yep! My thoughts exactly. I think it's dead wrong but who am I to judge? That's God's place not mine.

Whatever the crap you want to do to your body is YOUR business.

Just be ready with your "well, what had happened was...." speech when you get to the gates.

MUCH bigger fish to fry than Roe v. Wade and whether or not two men or two women are doing each other and want to get married
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM

30,513 posts, read 33,327,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Well, the Constitution enshrines life as an inalienable right. Do you disagree with that?
That only works if you can shove the constitution up a womans...

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM

6,966 posts, read 5,403,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You are missing a HUGE point though. Although he personally believes that abortion is wrong, he is also a huge proponent of stats rights, which is where this falls for him. As president, he would not see himself as the correct person to make the decision on abortion at the FEDERAL level, so he would never try to pass any laws regarding it.
Really? From his website:

Quote:
Dr. Paul’s experience in science and medicine only reinforced his belief that life begins at conception, and he believes it would be inconsistent for him to champion personal liberty and a free society if he didn’t also advocate respecting the God-given right to life—for those born and unborn.

After being forced to witness an abortion being performed during his time in medical school, he knew from that moment on that his practice would focus on protecting life. And during his years in medicine, never once did he find an abortion necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman.

As a physician, Ron Paul consistently put his beliefs into practice and saved lives by helping women seek options other than abortion, including adoption. And as President, Ron Paul will continue to fight for the same pro-life solutions he has upheld in Congress, including:
* Immediately saving lives by effectively repealing Roe v. Wade and preventing activist judges from interfering with state decisions on life by removing abortion from federal court jurisdiction through legislation modeled after his “We the People Act.”
* Defining life as beginning at conception by passing a “Sanctity of Life Act.”
So much for "states rights"

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,172,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Well, the Constitution enshrines life as an inalienable right. Do you disagree with that?
Actually, the US Constitution says no such thing. You are thinking of the Declaration of Independence, not the US Constitution.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,558,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That only works if you can shove the constitution up a womans...
Women can do whatever they want IMO, but when it affects the life of another human being, the government steps in, that's its proper role: to protect your rights.

I'm not one to go on pro-life marches and I respect it as the law of the land, the only thing I ask is that the pro-choicers call a spade a spade and quit sugar coating it: you are murdering your unborn children.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM

9,038 posts, read 14,283,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I agree with the man on almost everything...except a woman's right to kill her unborn child. I'm a Christian and I personally think abortion is wrong...but I don't think it is my business to stop other people from doing it.

If they can live with the guilt etc, then it is between them and God... Sheesh...we have bigger fish to fry than Roe V Wade. Am I wrong?
No. You aren't wrong if you feel that way. Good News! You can still support Ron Paul because that issue would be left up to the states. Besides, as you say there are bigger fish to fry and Ron Paul has filleted dressed and is ready to fry them all. So no need to make a mistake and vote for another candidate who would screw things up even more by not knowing how (in the least) how to fry all the OTHER fish.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM

6,966 posts, read 5,403,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
No. You aren't wrong if you feel that way. Good News! You can still support Ron Paul because that issue would be left up to the states.
No, it would not. See post #33.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,899,308 times
Quote:
No. You aren't wrong if you feel that way. Good News! You can still support Ron Paul because that issue would be left up to the states.
Emily, read the information on his website. It sounded like he was going to "do something" about abortions. But my mind is already made up. We Libertarians may lose again, but I'm voting my conscience (yet again). I'm sure we'll end up with another *******...but it won't be my fault.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:40 PM

28,396 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
No. You aren't wrong if you feel that way. Good News!
You can still support Ron Paul because that issue would be left up to the states.
It is at about this point in the discussions when conversation veers to the topic of secession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert_Humphrey_in_1948
My friends, to those who say that we are rushing this issue of civil rights, I say to them we are 172 years late. To those who say that this civil-rights program is an infringement on states’ rights, I say this: The time has arrived in America for the Democratic Party to get out of the shadow of states' rights and to walk forthrightly into the bright sunshine of human rights. People -- human beings -- this is the issue of the 20th century. People of all kinds -- all sorts of people -- and these people are looking to America for leadership, and they’re looking to America for precept and example.
It wasn't long after this that the grandparents of the teapartiers chose to split off (as their grandparents had about 90 years before).
Ahh progress!

Last edited by MrRational; 09-08-2011 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: fixed spelling error

Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM

17,850 posts, read 20,172,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
No, it would not. See post #33.
Normally I pay absolutely no attention to anything any politician has to say, but since you posted part of his web site, specificially:
"Ron Paul will continue to fight for the same pro-life solutions he has upheld in Congress"
I do know enough about Ron Paul's voting record to know that this statement is indeed accurate. Every chance Ron Paul gets, he votes against abortion issues.

Source: Project Vote Smart - Representative Ronald E. 'Ron' Paul - Voting Record
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or