Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:52 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times

Advertisements

If republicans nominate Rick Perry as the GOP, Obama will win a second term for sure. Perry's stand on Social Security will kill the GOP's hope for winning the White House in 2012. The key is looking at the electoral map. Senior citizens make up a good portion of one key state and that Florida. All Obama needs to do to win is hold on to the states Kerry won in 2004 (wont be a problem at all because they are liberal strongholds) and win Florida. If senior citizens in Florida are scared of what Perry and the GOP might do to social security, they will vote for Obama. Senior citizens are the most reliable voters and its not so much about jobs to them because they are already retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
If republicans nominate Rick Perry as the GOP, Obama will win a second term for sure. Perry's stand on Social Security will kill the GOP's hope for winning the White House in 2012. The key is looking at the electoral map. Senior citizens make up a good portion of one key state and that Florida. All Obama needs to do to win is hold on to the states Kerry won in 2004 (wont be a problem at all because they are liberal strongholds) and win Florida. If senior citizens in Florida are scared of what Perry and the GOP might do to social security, they will vote for Obama. Senior citizens are the most reliable voters and its not so much about jobs to them because they are already retired.

I would agree that Obama could probably beat Perry in a game of 1 on 1 or a foot race, but not in a presidential election.

Who, in their right mind, actually thinks that ANY president could be re-elected with unemployment at 9.1% and adding $7 trillion to the national debt in four years?

Obama will lose every state in the US, sans the northeast, west coast, and Michigan. With the economy the way it is, all the swing states will turn against him. It was independents who put Obama in office, and unlike the liberals, they are no longer in line for the kool-aid. Most rational citizens want results, and Obama is incompetent and incapable of achieving any results.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Personally, I hope that Rick Perry is not the nominee, however I do think he would have a very good chance of defeating Obama. If you think Rick Perry would be easy to defeat, ask Kay Bailey Hutchinson. She tried to unseat him as governor and is a very popular senator from Texas.. He beat her handily... With a little luck perhaps Cain will get some footing and be the nominee.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Perry has no shot at winning, and I did not vote for Obama in '08, and dislike his performance. Romney would win with ease. Swing states are the whole race. Last I checked, Texas does not have 270 electoral votes, and is a solid red state every single race. Not Ohio, not Colorado, or any other swing state.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Perhaps I'm wrong, but Romney to me seems like Obama light. He doesn't impress me much. Then again neither does Perry.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Keep in mind, anyone can beat anyone else depending on tricks played.

Remember George W Bush had a 4 point lead over Gore and almost lost when Gore's operatives revealed some 15 year old ticket Bush had of driving real slow while drunk before he gave up booze.
That swung enough last minute votes so that Gore almost won.

So based on that and Kennedy stealing the election with the mob from Nixon, I believe anything could happen.

That ticket was revealed like three days before the election and the Democrat press ran 24-7 with it.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I would agree that Obama could probably beat Perry in a game of 1 on 1 or a foot race, but not in a presidential election.

Who, in their right mind, actually thinks that ANY president could be re-elected with unemployment at 9.1% and adding $7 trillion to the national debt in four years?

Obama will lose every state in the US, sans the northeast, west coast, and Michigan. With the economy the way it is, all the swing states will turn against him. It was independents who put Obama in office, and unlike the liberals, they are no longer in line for the kool-aid. Most rational citizens want results, and Obama is incompetent and incapable of achieving any results.
They want instant results but it will be a while before they get them. They probably wont feel any direct results until the end of the NEXT term, no matter who is president. Those results will be because of what the current administration is doing now.

Only time will tell.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Obama could easily beat anyone in the GOP field besides Paul or Huntsman, though neither of them could ever get the nom.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I agree with you. I think Obama will beat Perry in Florida. Perry leads Obama in Florida now, but Obama hasn't spent one dime there yet on educating Flordians on Perry's plans for Social Security. It would be a close election, and a historically unprecendted one because the economy does suggest it's time to try someone new, but Obama would win.

Why the Republic Party does not just coronate Romney and call it a day, I do not know. I think Romney would beat Obama fairly easily. He would win all of the Republic stronghold states who don't necessarily like him or his background but aren't going to vote for the muslim communist. He would also make some in-roads in the liberal states that don't necessarily like his ideology, but they feel comfortable enough with his "style" to give a guy from the other side a shot in a bad economy.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Add to the fact that Perry keeps saying something foolish every week and the election is over a year a way. One year is an eternity in politics. If the GOP is to win in 2012, another dark horse needs to emerge as the front runner. I just don't see the current candidates beating Obama even with a tough economy. Romney might have the best hope but even still I just don't know. Besides who knows what might happen with the economy a year from now. Things may start to improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections