U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM

547 posts, read 436,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Koch has endorsed other Republicans before that is nothing new. Keep in mind this is a district Obama won by 4 points more than his national margin, so I don't think losing a district 4 points more Dem than the nation on the Presidential level is reason for paic.
If you're a Democrat and you don't think that losing a congressional seat in Brooklyn/Queens to a Republican is reason to panic, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 AM

547 posts, read 436,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I think you all are making too much of this. I tend to think this is a good article. It points out correctly that this is a rather unique district with issues that are not likely to be of great importance nationwide.

Election Forecasts - FiveThirtyEight Blog - NYTimes.com
Making too much out of this? You mean a heavily Jewish, Democratic district in New York City voting against the Jewish Democratic candidate and for the conservative Republican candidate is not that big of a deal?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:45 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,605,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
If you're a Democrat and you don't think that losing a congressional seat in Brooklyn/Queens to a Republican is reason to panic, then I have a bridge to sell you.
Actually, let them sit there in their echo chamber, where they only talk to each other, and let them continue to think this is not an issue. Then when the elections in Nov 2012 come, they will be even more spinning when they lose.

Deep down, they probably know this is a big problem, they just don't want let others catch on.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 PM

10,783 posts, read 11,813,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wow. Just wow.

Back in the whole "weinergate" thread I made the comment that Democrats weren't going to rally around him because they *knew* they'd just replace him with another Dem and not lose the seat.

Or at least that is what we all thought.

This is INDEED bad news for Obama\Dems in that it shows that his Israel policies and war continuation may very well cost him a lot of moderate democrat votes as well as independents. Granted, it remains to be seen whom the republicans would be running in opposition and the tides can always turn quickly.

Please note, I'm not taking a dem or rep side in this....I'm just shocked that weiners seat went republican and this paints a potentially scary picture for the dems IMO.
Not really, the seat is up for election next year anyhow. This vote was clearly trying to send a message to Obama to stop being a sell out to the republicans, wall street, and to stand up for what's right.
Obama has incredibly let down the base and they have been making it clear as of late. Though there is no way in hell the democrat supporters would switch their support over to a GOP candidate.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,008,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Not really, the seat is up for election next year anyhow. This vote was clearly trying to send a message to Obama to stop being a sell out to the republicans, wall street, and to stand up for what's right.
Obama has incredibly let down the base and they have been making it clear as of late. Though there is no way in hell the democrat supporters would switch their support over to a GOP candidate.
by any chance do you live anywhere near this district many democratic prescients had very high turnout

Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Deep down, they probably know this is a big problem, they just don't want let others catch on.
more then one actually.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Heard Around Town, Sept. 14, 2011 (http://www.cityhallnews.com/2011/09/heard-around-town-sept-14-2011/ - broken link)

Old 09-14-2011, 06:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 15,428,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
NY-9 4 points more Democratic on the Presidential level than the nation, won by the GOP in a Special Election.

NY-26 13 points more Republican on the Presidential level than the nation, won by the Democrats in a Special Election

Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Poll: Same-Sex Marriage Played Role in NY City Congressional Upset | CNSnews.com

Old 09-15-2011, 01:31 AM

Behind Turner’s Win: Jewish Voters Opposed to Gay Marriage - Metropolis - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or