Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBpa View Post
Excuse me? Did you not read the sentence where I include my mother as a middle-aged secular Jew? I myself am a proud, secular Jew. I am also a Zionist, though a liberal Zionist; I do not support Likud. Regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, I would position myself somewhere between AIPAC and JStreet.

And please, do tell me how Obama is an anti-Semite. What has he done that is so anti-Semitic? Criticized Netanyahu? Please.

Also, I think somebody else brought up the numbers about the pro-gay marriage Weiner against Bob Turner, so that wasn't the deciding factor in the race. Ed Koch's idiotic endorsement of the Republican was.
so your'e a kappo (did you ever hear the expression Jews are the biggest anti Semites) (saying that Orthodox Jews are nutjob racist sound real anti semetic to me (and how come Alan West got the Orthodox vote))

it was gay marriage look how many Orthodox Jews have you spoke to about this race?
look at any Orthodox Jewish media and you'll see what the major issue was.
The Yeshiva World YWN MAILBAG: Only A Few Hours Left For NY-9 « » Frum Jewish News

in regards to Wiener and marriage
1. ever since the law passed we're way more upset about it and the many jews who thought it would never happen even if they support such a candidate for other reasons woke up.
2. Many Jews frontrunner
3. most Orthodox Jews never heard of DOMA (we're for the most part not politically involved) (though they would support it strongly if they did)
4. Weprin's "Orthodox" and that makes what he did even worse.
5. Weprin's speech was way beyond the pale.
6. Weiner lost the Orthodox vote. (slightly it looks like Weiner was in the high 40's last time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:54 AM

141 posts, read 381,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
so your'e a kappo (did you ever hear the expression Jews are the biggest anti Semites) (saying that Orthodox Jews are nutjob racist sound real anti semetic to me (and how come Alan West got the Orthodox vote))

it was gay marriage look how many Orthodox Jews have you spoke to about this race?
look at any Orthodox Jewish media and you'll see what the major issue was.
The Yeshiva World YWN MAILBAG: Only A Few Hours Left For NY-9 « » Frum Jewish News

in regards to Wiener and marriage
1. ever since the law passed we're way more upset about it and the many jews who thought it would never happen even if they support such a candidate for other reasons woke up.
2. Many Jews frontrunner
3. most Orthodox Jews never heard of DOMA (we're for the most part not politically involved) (though they would support it strongly if they did)
4. Weprin's "Orthodox" and that makes what he did even worse.
5. Weprin's speech was way beyond the pale.
6. Weiner lost the Orthodox vote. (slightly it looks like Weiner was in the high 40's last time)
A "kappo" would not proudly identify as a Jew and a Zionist. If you wanna look at "kappos," people like Noam Chomsky and Norman Finkelstein do not identify as Zionists. That's an extremely disgusting and rude thing to call me. Just because someone disagrees with YOUR view of Zionism does not make him a "kappo." It actually disturbs me how loosely you're willing to throw around that term. BTW, bigotry is not only against blacks. I suppose I should've said "bigots" rather than "racists," but I think you get my point.

Second of all, I'm clearly not saying that all Orthodox Jews are nutjob racists. Case in point: candidate David Weprin himself. Though it appears that the plurality of Orthodox Jews in that district are indeed nutjobs and bigots. Don't twist my words around. Believing that voting for David Weprin is a sin because of his stance on gay marriage qualifies as nutty in my book. Of course, there are nutjobs of all religions, but probably not in the congressional district in question. In addition, the angry reaction at Weprin's support for Park 51 is blatant bigotry. Though I'm just talking about these Orthodox Jews in this district, from my experience, Orthodox Jews often tend to be nutjobs and/or bigots, at least compared to moderate/secular Jews.

And so you say that Weiner had lost the support of the Orthodox community. The Orthodox community does not make up that entire district. As I understand it, there are many gentiles and many non-Orthodox Jews in that district (like Weiner). I would bet that Ed Koch's decision to endorse Turner played a large factor in swaying enough of the secular Jewish community to the Republicans. That's what I've been saying this whole time.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:23 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
And to think: two weeks ago the NYT was crowing its little gray head off....

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/02/ny...ouse-seat.html

Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
While this is just one special election, the implications are huge. When looking at the demographics a few weeks ago it would have seemed hopeless for Turner. There is another special election coming up, and that is in Oregon to replace resigned David Wu. Primary in November, general in January.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Wow. Just wow.

Back in the whole "weinergate" thread I made the comment that Democrats weren't going to rally around him because they *knew* they'd just replace him with another Dem and not lose the seat.

Or at least that is what we all thought.

This is INDEED bad news for Obama\Dems in that it shows that his Israel policies and war continuation may very well cost him a lot of moderate democrat votes as well as independents. Granted, it remains to be seen whom the republicans would be running in opposition and the tides can always turn quickly.

Please note, I'm not taking a dem or rep side in this....I'm just shocked that weiners seat went republican and this paints a potentially scary picture for the dems IMO.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
I love the spin the Dems are putting on this:

Quote:
Democratic party leaders insisted the loss wasn’t a harbinger of things to come. “It’s a very difficult district for Democrats,” said Democratic National Committee chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, noting its Democratic margins there tend to be the second lowest of all the districts in New York City.
Saying a district in NYC is difficult for Democrats because the margins there are the second lowest in the city is like saying Moe was the smartest stooge.

Ridiculous NY-09 spin: “It’s a very difficult district for Democrats” « Hot Air

Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Believing that voting for David Weprin is a sin because of his stance on gay marriage qualifies as nutty in my book. Of course, there are nutjobs of all religions, but probably not in the congressional district in question.
fact this was won in the Orthodox community primarily on gay marriage. (everyone in Flatbush or Kew Garden Hills knows it)
fact to call us nutjobs based on this would make you a perfect kappo.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Saying a district in NYC is difficult for Democrats because the margins there are the second lowest in the city is like saying Moe was the smartest stooge.
yes but in a district that is a religious ethnic blue collar district you don't put up a pro gay marriage, candidate especially in a year when most people there are already mad at the president about Isreal, and the economy.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It was his stance on Israel. Believe me, Brooklyn and Queens will never be Teanut boroughs. Brooklyn has a large pockets of orthodox Jews.
Exactly. And that is the thing which deep down is worrying the *******s and Obamabots. Where despite their best efforts for the past year or so to pigeon hole all people who speak out about Obama's policies as "crazy tea party" people, THIS absolutely proves there's a much broader resentment against the current administration than the 'tards and the 'bots try to paint it.

The general public does not need MSNBC nor C-D to tell them things are bad and still getting worse, they can see that for themselves based directly on what politicians DO, not what they SAY.

I'm telling you, this is back to the future from 1980. It's Reagan Democrats all over again. See you in 2012.

Last edited by jkbatca; 09-14-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Exactly. And that is the thing which deep down is worrying the *******s and Obamabots. Where despite their best efforts for the past year or so to pigeon hole all people who speak out about Obama's policies as "crazy tea party" people, THIS absolutely proves there's a much broader resentment against the current administration than the 'tards and the 'bots try to paint it.

The general public does not need MSNBC nor C-D to tell them things are bad and still getting worse, they can see that for themselves based directly on what politicians DO, not what they SAY.

I'm telling you, this is back to the future from 1980. It's Reagan Democrats all over again. See you in 2012.
Does this mean we get to call Brooklyn racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections