U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 02:15 PM

599 posts, read 601,014 times

Advertisements

If nothing else, Ron Paul's presence in the race is educating the public just as he's always done. He's certainly educating the GOP in these debates. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 02:49 PM

19,683 posts, read 9,990,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
If nothing else, Ron Paul's presence in the race is educating the public just as he's always done. He's certainly educating the GOP in these debates. I love it!
Educate? In what, the hypocrisy of championing personal freedoms and the government off of the individual, except when it comes to a woman's right to choose? Educate the public about the silly gold standard? The Fed is your enemy crap? All regulations are bad? How the Civil Rights Act infringes on the freedom of businesses to discriminate on the basis of race?

We really don't want Ron Paul's world, a world in the past, where the masses had no protection from the powerful and there was no social safety net.

Last edited by MTAtech; 09-28-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 PM

9,897 posts, read 6,138,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
emily and polly - If you are confident that a 78 year old man has the stamina - both mental and physical - to handle the very demanding job of POTUS, then you go right ahead and support Ron Paul.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you will find yourselves very much in the minority.

A reply that is definitely worthy of you....
^^^I actually believe our earlier Presidents had it harder than they do
today

LAKE JACKSON, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In a new Harris Poll, 2012 Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul beats President Obama 51 percent to 49 percent in a general election race.

Ron Paul Bests Obama*in Latest Poll - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ron-Paul-Bests-Obama-in-bw-3821734650.html?x=0 - broken link)

Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM

19,683 posts, read 9,990,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
^^^I actually believe our earlier Presidents had it harder than they do
today

LAKE JACKSON, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- In a new Harris Poll, 2012 Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul beats President Obama 51 percent to 49 percent in a general election race.

Ron Paul Bests Obama*in Latest Poll - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ron-Paul-Bests-Obama-in-bw-3821734650.html?x=0 - broken link)
Considering that most voters have no idea at this point who Ron Paul is, this poll is pretty much worthless.

This eas the headline in 2008:
Exit poll favors Romney's prospects - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 PM

2,618 posts, read 4,960,713 times
Quote:
And they were in their 30s, 40s, 50s - thinking they knew it all - when they cast those votes.
I seriously doubt you're all that much more the wiser than you were when you were 30, 40, 50 years old. Take responsibility for your mistakes.

Quote:
Yet you think a 78 year old man would be a competent first time POTUS.
I'm pretty sure almost every president at some point had a "first time" in office.

Quote:
I'll match my technological and mass communication skills against yours any day...
I have a degree in Management Information Systems and I have 5+ years experience and training in providing high end networking and unified communication solutions and services.

Winning. Next.

Quote:
Where did I ever say that I was worried about him dying in office? My concern is about him living in office - he's just too damn old to be able to keep up with the pace of the presidency - both physically and mentally.
You think Obama has done a bad job - your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't happen to agree with you.
Unemployment has stayed above 9% since he took office and has only gone even higher. His attempts to further drive his citizens into a lifetime of generational debt and devalued their currency by almost 100% have succeeded.

He's not doing a good job.

Quote:
The arrogance of youth never ceases to amaze me. Just because I am in the 6th decade of my life, does not mean that I no longer care about what's going on around me. I have children and grand children, so I am well invested in the future. The difference between you and me is that I have been hearing doom and gloom prophecies for the past 60 years, so I don't take them quite as seriously as you might. I know that those who wish to manipulate us have a vested interest in keeping us afraid. Every generation has its 'fear factor' - and its professed saviors.
So you've been hearing for 60 years that things will go bad, and now they are worse than they ever have been in 60 years (the numbers indicate in some areas worse than the Great Depression) and you're saying they were wrong?

Also, "spending beyond your means" culture pre-21st century would indicate that many people did NOT believe in the doom and gloom that was soon to come, and now they have an unreal amount of debt and they've lost their homes. Foreclosure rate in America continues to rise.

Quote:
As for your "bright future," based on your post...not so sure about that...
This nation has every possibility of a bright future, and I believe I do as well. You're in no position to judge anyone's future on this forum, particularly because you have none.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-29-2011 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM

6,916 posts, read 4,867,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I have a degree in Management Information Systems and I have 5+ years experience and training in providing high end networking and unified communication solutions and services.

Winning. Next.
I have an MS in computer science and 30+ years experience in teaching math/computer programming.

I'm not really interested in winning - been there, done that. But, I understand why it's so important to you....

Next.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM

841 posts, read 750,599 times
Quote:
It's the way people in their 60's have voted the last 40 years which has gotten us into this mess.

I've found older people to be the ones most out of touch with society as they have a tough time adapting to the new technological and mass communication era.

You make things sound like if Ron Paul were to die in presidency the world would end....how many presidents have died in office in the past? Then tell us how many times the world ended. Give us a history lesson old wise one....

Well there's a 50 year old in office now and he's clearly not able to efficiently and effectively handle the 24/7 demands of the Presidency either. I don't think age has anything to do with it.

I just think this is so ironic that a 60 year old is discriminating someone based on old age. This is like that Dave Chappelle skit where he's a blind black man who joined the KKK.

Maybe you don't have any consequences to face by maintaining the status quo since you'll be gone in a decade or two anyway, but for those of us who are younger and have bright futures ahead of us we would like to find a way to set this nation back on the right track instead of the inevitable derailment that is soon to follow.
Very often, people who do not feel up to par will think it's just that they are getting older, when actually they have some type of health issue(s) going on, either disease, medications, diet, exercise, lifestlye, are not being addressed appropriately. Also to add to this, it's actually disease processes that people die of, they do not die of old age ever, there is the chronological age and there is the biological age, two very different things. So look at biological age of candidates.

Actually, someone 60 who is taking very good care of themselves (if they know how) will have three to even four decades of life left. Actually, it's among the older people who do possess wisdom........where the most wisdom can be found, they have used their good minds for a lifetime of learning and experience to guide them in discernment to make good decisions.

Last edited by clsicmovies; 09-28-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Considering that most voters have no idea at this point who Ron Paul is, this poll is pretty much worthless.
Whether you think folks don't know who Ron Paul is, I know who Ron Paul is, and I'm voting for him, so there.

Sure, anyone can discount ANY Poll they don't like the
outcome of ....

Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM

81,431 posts, read 92,543,336 times
Quote:
Not at all - the 1798 president had it much harder
Surely you jest! How many states were there in 1798? How big was the US population? HOw many foreign governments were we dealing with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Ron Paul is not your average 78 year old man. He is probably healthier than a lot of 45 year olds! I bet he doesn't take any prescription drugs. He obviously isn't overweight in the least. He loves making a difference which he has been doing noticably on a daily basis since the last election when people started to realize they were wrong about Obama and all Ron Paul's predictions came true. He LOVES the rock star welcomes and energized support he gets from young people. Why deny our country and the world an opportunity to be led by such a gifted and trustworthy and honest person?
Obviously, you don't know much about the aging process or you wouldn't make such a ridiculous statement. EVERYONE who makes it to 78 has some health problems, including the ones who aren't obviously sick. And it just keeps on getting worse as the years go on.

Quote:
I seriously doubt you're all that much more the wiser than you were when you were 30, 40, 50 years old. Take responsibility for your mistakes.

Personal attack.

I'm pretty sure almost every president at some point had a "first time" in office.

Winning. Next.

Big whoop! 5+ years experience? So you're what, 30 at most? Ah the arrogance of youth!

Unemployment has stayed above 9% since he took office and has only gone even higher. His attempts to further drive his citizens into a lifetime of generational debt and devalued their currency by almost 100% have succeeded.

He's not doing a good job.

So you're arguing for your own incompetence to justify your statement that old people are incompetent?

Based on this logic, it actually does make sense. I never realized stupid people actually KNEW they were stupid.

Extreme personal attack; totally uncalled for. Another example of the arrogance of youth.

So you've been hearing for 60 years that things will go bad, and now they are worse than they ever have been in 60 years (the numbers indicate in some areas worse than the Great Depression) and you're saying they were wrong?

Also, "spending beyond your means" culture pre-21st century would indicate that many people did NOT believe in the doom and gloom that was soon to come, and now they have an unreal amount of debt and they've lost their homes. Foreclosure rate in America continues to rise.

This nation has every possibility of a bright future, and I believe I do as well. You're in no position to judge anyone's future on this forum, particularly because you have none.
More arrogance of youth speaking. Someone who is 60 (which includes me as well) has at least 20 years to live, statistically.

Quote:
My 96 year old grandfather would agree with you, in that notion too -
you are being arrogant.

If your talking "that old" in your 60's... I'm afraid my friend, your
missing out on a lot of years of "life"...

- Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. ~Henry Ford

Funny - Ford retired and then he died

DETROIT, April 7, 1947 Henry Ford, noted automotive pioneer, died at 11:40 tonight at the age of 83. He had retired a little more than a year and a half ago from active direction of the great industrial empire he founded in 1903.

When he retired Mr. Ford was in excellent health, but turned over the management of the vast empire to his grandson. Henry Ford 2d, because, he said, he wanted to devote more time to personal interests.

There were many reports that the elder Ford had given up his leadership of the Ford interests at the insistence of other members of his family...

He died of a cerebral hemorrhage.
So retirement causes cerebral hemmorhage now? Or maybe he just didn't feel as good as he used to, knew it was time to retire.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
emily and polly - If you are confident that a 78 year old man has the stamina ... go right ahead and support Ron Paul.

Fortunately for the rest of us, you will find yourselves very much in the minority.
The minority is quickly expanding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections