Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would certainly hope that obama isn't keeping them there to "help the economy" because that would mean he is clueless. we are building the infrastructures of other countries (and rebuilding every time they get bombed), and none of that money comes back here.

our fuel prices are up because we pay too much for fuel and electricity over there (google how much we spend to air condition tents in afghanistan) it's the law of supply and demand. we also waste a lot of fuel with transportation costs. we would have lower fuel prices if not for the wars.

our soldiers have to eat and sleep there, which doesn't benefit us.

bring them home and put them on the border.

that would slow down some of the economic job bleeding that we are experiencing right now. the money those soldiers spend then will be on OUR infrastructure, food, businesses, clothing, housing, etc.

an automatic transfer of wealth back to the US in 2 different directions-who could be against that?

plus, families could be reunited and that's better for everyone.
Right! Thank-you. It shouldn't be that difficult to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 06:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What impact will ending all wars and decreasing the Defense budget have on President Ron Paul's economy? Has he ever talked about it?

You know, there are a lot of people, employed in the private sector, who make things for and/or provide services for our troops on the ground, in the air and on the sea. Think of all those private sector people out of work, some of those private sector businesses going down entirely plus all of those soldiers, when the military size is cut, out on the street looking for work.

In fact, although he's never mentioned it, I kind of think President Obama isn't so gung ho at ending the wars now because his advisors have probably told him it will make the Obama economy a lot worse than what it is, despite his ideological desires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He will have to enforce the illegal alien laws!

Just like they did after WW-I & WW-II & Vietnam

I guess no one took me seriously.

200,000 troops without a job, but still collecting a small check from the government.

Now we have a low estimate of 11 million illegals, doing many many construction jobs. Yes, jobs good `ol Americans will gladly do.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:49 AM

37,798 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would certainly hope that obama isn't keeping them there to "help the economy" because that would mean he is clueless. we are building the infrastructures of other countries (and rebuilding every time they get bombed), and none of that money comes back here.

our fuel prices are up because we pay too much for fuel and electricity over there (google how much we spend to air condition tents in afghanistan) it's the law of supply and demand. we also waste a lot of fuel with transportation costs. we would have lower fuel prices if not for the wars.

our soldiers have to eat and sleep there, which doesn't benefit us.

bring them home and put them on the border.

that would slow down some of the economic job bleeding that we are experiencing right now. the money those soldiers spend then will be on OUR infrastructure, food, businesses, clothing, housing, etc.

an automatic transfer of wealth back to the US in 2 different directions-who could be against that?

plus, families could be reunited and that's better for everyone.
I also think we could put soldiers on the border but not all of them. I would really be surprised to find out that no economic study has been done for ending all wars and military presence in foreign countries and its impact on the defense industry private sector as it relates to the economy and employment. I just don't see or hear anyone talking about it, not even in the media. My assumption would be Ron Paul has thought out what it would mean in current economic times. But Ron Paul has no executive experience. Does he really know how it will play out (have the data to back it up) or is he just guessing/projecting/thinking ideallistically? I'm still betting President Obama's team HAS thought it out, they have done an impact study, and that's why we still have the military all over the place despite his ideology. He can't afford to have that unemployment rate go a lot higher before the next election and more private industry companies go down.

After the next election, however, if more people go on the dole, he figures that will eventually benefit Democrats since they will rely on Democrats for entitlements. That's why he's really pushing food stamps now, isn't it? Make more people dependent on Democrats?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,863 times
Quote:
I also think we could put soldiers on the border but not all of them. I would really be surprised to find out that no economic study has been done for ending all wars and military presence in foreign countries and its impact on the defense industry private sector as it relates to the economy and employment. I just don't see or hear anyone talking about it, not even in the media. My assumption would be Ron Paul has thought out what it would mean in current economic times. But Ron Paul has no executive experience. Does he really know how it will play out (have the data to back it up) or is he just guessing/projecting/thinking ideallistically? I'm still betting President Obama's team HAS thought it out, they have done an impact study, and that's why we still have the military all over the place despite his ideology. He can't afford to have that unemployment rate go a lot higher before the next election and more private industry companies go down.

After the next election, however, if more people go on the dole, he figures that will eventually benefit Democrats since they will rely on Democrats for entitlements. That's why he's really pushing food stamps now, isn't it? Make more people dependent on Democrats?
After WWII, once most of our soldiers had come home-- between 1951 and 1953 we had some of the lowest unemployment ever in this country (2.5 - 3%)

Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
After WWII, once most of our soldiers had come home-- between 1951 and 1953 we had some of the lowest unemployment ever in this country (2.5 - 3%)

Operation W.E.T.B.A.C.K, President IKE implemented, had a very big effect on those numbers.

How Eisenhower solved illegal border crossings from Mexico

Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,974,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Wasn't that in large part due to us ramping up manufacturing to replace all the stuff blown up and destroyed during the war?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
What impact will ending all wars and decreasing the Defense budget have on President Ron Paul's economy? Has he ever talked about it?

You know, there are a lot of people, employed in the private sector, who make things for and/or provide services for our troops on the ground, in the air and on the sea. Think of all those private sector people out of work, some of those private sector businesses going down entirely plus all of those soldiers, when the military size is cut, out on the street looking for work.

In fact, although he's never mentioned it, I kind of think President Obama isn't so gung ho at ending the wars now because his advisors have probably told him it will make the Obama economy a lot worse than what it is, despite his ideological desires.
Isn't it sad when one thinks we need to kill or maim our
fellow citizens in the name of the economy...

What President Paul can do with our troops when they
come home is put some of them at our borders
protecting our citizens at home. Having them at our ports as well would be nice.
I am sure private industry will be motivated
to HIRE any ex military that has served their country as
well as first in line for franchises with reduced fees.

And, if you'd really like to boost the economy - lift the prohibition on industrial hemp
the saving grace for our economy
and end dependence on the Middle East for oil or politics or to produce excessive Weapons/Arms.

Sometimes a society has to recreate "what" they produce
to compete

Hemp - Could Save America

Daily Kos: Industrial Hemp can save America

Understanding the Hemp Plant and its 50,000 Uses and Benefits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections