Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We will have more firsts in elections in the next 25 years than ever before. We're not as closed-minded as we once were. BO could not have won in 1968, not even in 1988. Two women have been VP candidates, again not possible pre GF.
No Democrat could have won in 1968. The violent liberal freaks were bombing their own Democrat National Convention in Chicago and rioting in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
I agree, but even w/o that, someone not 100% Caucasian was a sure loser even in 88, let alone 68. Thank God that ended.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
No Democrat could have won in 1968. The violent liberal freaks were bombing their own Democrat National Convention in Chicago and rioting in the streets.
Democratic party in the 1960's were not the liberal party.

Ignorance is bliss.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I agree, but even w/o that, someone not 100% Caucasian was a sure loser even in 88, let alone 68. Thank God that ended.
I do not think one should be "thankful" for electing someone solely upon the color of their skin or their gender. It seems to me to be a very superficial way, and entirely disingenuous means, of determining a leader.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:51 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I think not.

Not looking to good for Newt or Christie.
Why don't you pick up a history book and read it sometime.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Dohh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I think he is saying Taft was elected in 1908 and thus not elected in the past 100 years.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
If Chris Christie is smart he will stay out of this whole thing like he has said repeatedly he would. I don't think you should coerce people into something like this. As far as his girth, he is representative of a large percenatage of the population in America. Unfortunately, we do live in a society where lookism is pervasive even if people try to deny it. It does effect how people perceive you, whether that is right or wrong.

Look at the eight in the race right now. Is it a coincidence that Romney and Perry are both very good looking men and they are the front runners? Not to discount their other factors that make them front runners, but they do 'look' like someone that should or could be president.

I like Chris Christie fine, but he is not ready for this. He knows he is not ready for this. He is just being used if he gets in.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
If Chris Christie is smart he will stay out of this whole thing like he has said repeatedly he would. I don't think you should coerce people into something like this. As far as his girth, he is representative of a large percenatage of the population in America. Unfortunately, we do live in a society where lookism is pervasive even if people try to deny it. It does effect how people perceive you, whether that is right or wrong.

Look at the eight in the race right now. Is it a coincidence that Romney and Perry are both very good looking men and they are the front runners? Not to discount their other factors that make them front runners, but they do 'look' like someone that should or could be president.

I like Chris Christie fine, but he is not ready for this. He knows he is not ready for this. He is just being used if he gets in.

I think this is bonafide proof...American politics is so frivolous! So, no wonder we end up with 'air heads' running the country.

Good grief, Palin and Bachmann are 'very good lookin' women. Memo to the men, they make a great ticket paired...because they look like they could/should be president. - Got that? Okay...carry on!

As someone said...Women rule politics, and the men involved. Now we know who to blame for Obama!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
I think this is bonafide proof...American politics is so frivolous! So, no wonder we end up with 'air heads' running the country.

Good grief, Palin and Bachmann are 'very good lookin' women. Memo to the men, they make a great ticket paired...because they look like they could/should be president. - Got that? Okay...carry on!

As someone said...Women rule politics, and the men involved. Now we know who to blame for Obama!

It is not just in politics, it's in most things. The better looking person gets the job or the sale. Sometimes good looks can hurt you also. In Christie's case, he will probably get more male voters due to the fact that he is not as good looking as Romney and Perry. Some men are threatened by that on some level.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
This thread reminds me of how many dudes (even fat dudes) who say they would never be seen with a heavy person( woman) that jump at the chance when it's there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections