Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:12 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

The GOP is trying to get Chris Christie into the race because there does not seem to be anyone that is currently running that has a chance to beat Obama. Maybe it is not the candidates that are the problem, maybe it is the new GOP ideas that are the problem.

Hulu - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Indecision 2012: The Great Right Hope - GOP Calls for Chris Christie to Run (http://www.hulu.com/watch/283075/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-indecision-2012-the-great-right-hope---gop-calls-for-chris-christie-to-run - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The GOP is trying to get Chris Christie into the race because there does not seem to be anyone that is currently running that has a chance to beat Obama. Maybe it is not the candidates that are the problem, maybe it is the new GOP ideas that are the problem.

Hulu - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart: Indecision 2012: The Great Right Hope - GOP Calls for Chris Christie to Run (http://www.hulu.com/watch/283075/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-indecision-2012-the-great-right-hope---gop-calls-for-chris-christie-to-run - broken link)
What is wrong with encouraging another candidate? You know you are seeing the left hand side of things and dreaming don't you? There are a couple of GOP candidates that, if they were to get the nod could beat Obama. I will also ask, what difference does this make to you< we know your politics, we know you are not going to vote for any of them and if you are so sure Obama will win, I would think you would be thrilled to see one more Republican in the field, unless, of course, you are afraid he might be a bigger threat?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What is wrong with encouraging another candidate? You know you are seeing the left hand side of things and dreaming don't you? There are a couple of GOP candidates that, if they were to get the nod could beat Obama. I will also ask, what difference does this make to you< we know your politics, we know you are not going to vote for any of them and if you are so sure Obama will win, I would think you would be thrilled to see one more Republican in the field, unless, of course, you are afraid he might be a bigger threat?
You are missing the point. It is not about Chris Christie, although you really need to watch the video it is funny, it may not be the candidates that are the problem it may be the GOP message that people are having a problem with.

You know, Kill Social Security, Kill the environment, protect the rich. This is not a really popular message that they are putting out.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Who's the one who's "dreaming" here? When even your own party can't get behind any of them, what's that say about their ability to "beat Obama"?!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Many sane Republicans will not run because of the extreme right.

Look how well science-loving Huntsman is doing.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Many sane Republicans will not run because of the extreme right.

Look how well science-loving Huntsman is doing.
You mean voodoo-science-global-warming-loving Huntsman?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You mean voodoo-science-global-warming-loving Huntsman?

Cue in extreme right: Thank you very much. I think you have made his point.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:40 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
There are a couple of GOP candidates that, if they were to get the nod could beat Obama.
If that was true, then why is the GOP begging Christie to enter the race? I will tell you why, they are very dissatisfied with the current crop of candidates and believe that none of the them have a chance against Obama and only Christie does.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:51 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Quote:
Cue in extreme right: Thank you very much. I think you have made his point.
LOL. You evolution-believing elitist nutcase you.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:

No the urban elite Republicans, especially the ones in the NY/DC media and Wall Street are trying to get Chris Christie to run. They are trying to convice the rubes (that's us in the rest of the country) that our candidates are unelectable and then they go out of their way to make sure it comes to fruition.

It's in their own best interest to pick our candidate for us. They need to convince someone who works in the NY to DC area, and with whom they deal with regularly, to run because their own power and influence are tied to those people. A few years ago they were telling us that person was George Allen (VA). His face was everywhere. They fell all over themselves to give him publicity. He imploded. Then they told us to shut up, quit complaining and get in line behind John McCain. You may remember that brouhaha, don't you? Then very early this political season they floated the trial balloon for, of all people, rich Nanny Bloomberg in NYC. When that went over like a lead balloon, they fixated on Paul Ryan, a man with zero executive experience, a shared approval rating much lower than Obama's and an ad with his double pushing granny off a cliff. He had the good sense to say "no." Around the same time, George Pataki, a man barely known out of NY also had his name floated. No one noticed because when the conservative voters in the rest of the country are looking for someone to be their candidate, they always think of someone from a heavily taxed state with an out of control cost of living to be their candidate. I have no idea if they were also behind the push for Donald Trump but suddenly his face was all over the Republican media.

I doubt George W Bush would have gotten any attention if his dad had not been President and VP under Ronald Reagan. He was a man they knew.

Now they are glomming on to Chris Christie. I happen to like Chris Christie but I see what's going on here. If he says "yes" they will fall all over themselves to promote him, denigrate the other candidates and persuade us rubes that he's the most electable...sort of like John McCain in 2008.

Last edited by LauraC; 09-27-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections