Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,250,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Romney/Cain

The campaign theme could be "Amerca is open for business!"

A better one would be "Flip and Flop".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:46 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,112,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think this wall street protest is going to take off bigger than you think. If the election was today, you're right--the D base wouldn't turn out and Obama would lose by a landslide. The problem is that a year is a lifetime in politics. You forget--the D base is ticked at Obama for being too conservative, and for catering to corporations. If he starts moving left toward his base, if he goes back into campaign mode, and if he's able to tap into the growing youth movement, I think you could see a very different outcome a year from now--especially if the R's run someone who's either far right or a corporate guy like Romney.

Plus--I don't see the Ron Paul or Bachmann camps exactly inspired to work their backsides off on a Romney campaign...

The Wall Street protests??? You have to be kidding. That is not going to affect anything. I doubt the Paul supporters will support anyone else, however, Bachmann will throw her support behind Romney and so will her supporters.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,404,881 times
Lightbulb Romney is going to win the nomination

It's still up in the air and there's plenty of time for an unexpected turn of events.

But it sure looks like the GOP nod is Romney's to lose.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,132,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
IMO Romney is going to win the nomination. Not because of what he has said or his political stance on issues, but because he has been vague and ambiguous.

He is the only candidate that has no definable position on just about anything, and that is the way to go when the current Republican platform is so extreme. He has done a very good job of not alienating people.

The other candidates have simply shown how extreme they are or how moderate they are. Either is a no win situation in the chaos that is republican land.

This is bad for democrats because he is the one with the best chance of beating Obama.

Actually ole mitt wont win the nomination. most republicans i know just wont vote for a rino as it is not what the country needs.

I see someone else getting the nomination, as the republican party would like the WH back and with mitt they wont get it, too many republicans wont vote for him.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,180,327 times
Sadly, Romney would have had the nod hands down if he was not a mormon. Were Romney an evangelical, they would have just given him the leadership of the party.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,165,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Actually ole mitt wont win the nomination. most republicans i know just wont vote for a rino as it is not what the country needs.

I see someone else getting the nomination, as the republican party would like the WH back and with mitt they wont get it, too many republicans wont vote for him.
That's my point--if Romney gets the nomination, I think the far right end of the party could possibly stay home or go third party. If we nominate a far right candidate, I don't think they can win the general. We're between a rock and a hard place.

Romney is competitive with Obama now, but he hasn't really been challenged yet--that's going to get ugly when it happens.

I just wish someone like Romney, without his personal baggage, had a chance. Beyond the things that far right conservatives don't like about him, Romney's biggest obstacle in the general is going to be his own track record and the constant major flipflopping on just about every values issue. Independents cross party lines and tend to vote on personality, and they don't like phoneys. Regardless of some of you wanting to brush it off, I also think think lots of people on both sides are upset with corruption in BOTH the D and R parties. Independents tend to be distrustful of parties to begin with. Whether you like it or not, we're a year away from the general, and in the meantime there's going to be a big push (I don't know if it will be successful or not) to get special interests out of funding elections. Romney's "corporations are people too" line is going to kill him with independents and probably some of the conservative base as well.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:53 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,174,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Exactly right! And there is no reason to hide it, take a christian who actually lives according to their faith, has high moral standards and lives family first, and there you have it......a mormon, its not so scary.
Except the primary religious text of mormonism violates a big no-no from the bible. For devout christians who actually know a thing about their faith, it's a hurdle that can't be overcome, which is why Romney can't get beyond mid-teens in rural and southern states.

His campaign is well aware of that and their strategy consists of counting on New Hampshire and Nevada and to a lesser extent Florida in the early contests, and hoping that'll carry him through Super Tuesday.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,112,087 times
Thankfully for Mitt Romney, people in the south are not quite as bigoted and ignorant as some of you think. People who don't want to vote for a 'Mormon' more than likely think that Obama is a 'Muslim'...you figure out the lesser of the two evils for people that stupid.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM

27,857 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Except the primary religious text of mormonism violates a big no-no from the bible.
Revelation 22:18-19, right? Good grief. The ignorance of the average Christian is simply mind-boggling.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Revelation 22:18-19, right? Good grief. The ignorance of the average Christian is simply mind-boggling.
Please don't think the average Chrisian thinks this way, if is just a handful of very outspoken ones.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections