Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,163,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
True, but my father (quite conservative, I should add unlike me) is concerned about how that would effect voting across the rest of the country. And if it's a Romney/Christie ticket, both could lose their states.

I thought it was an interesting point.

Personally, I don't think it would affect it. Northeastern coastal states and west coast states are expected to go Democratic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Very interesting. Despite all the hand wringing about his faith and so called liberal views, this indicates they'll come around and support Romney after all..

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/perry-watch/hea...
Republicans will vote for whomever the GOP Leadership says will be their candidate and the Democrats will vote for Obama. The Independent voters will wait and see who the GOP candidate is then descide, if it is ANYONE other than Paul the vast majority of Indes will support Obama, and that will be that.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,235 times
It's family fun game time!

Which Mitt? | Get To Know Your Darling Mitt Romney

Old 10-14-2011, 09:28 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Republicans will vote for whomever the GOP Leadership says will be their candidate and the Democrats will vote for Obama. The Independent voters will wait and see who the GOP candidate is then descide, if it is ANYONE other than Paul the vast majority of Indes will support Obama, and that will be that.
I doubt it. According to Gallup Obama's overall approval rating for the month of Sept. among those who consider themselves "pure independents" was 30%..

Old 10-14-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I doubt it. According to Gallup Obama's overall approval rating for the month of Sept. among those who consider themselves "pure independents" was 30%..
And that means what? Too often people mistake the fact that someone may not be 100% behind a politician to mean that those people will back someone else, Nothing could be further from the truth

Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
And that means what? Too often people mistake the fact that someone may not be 100% behind a politician to mean that those people will back someone else, Nothing could be further from the truth
It means that stating a 30% approval rating for Obama among independents somehow translates into a "vast majority" will be supporting him, is not only a real reach..but it's straight up nonsense..

Now, if you have some numbers to back up your assertion, fine.. lets see them...

Old 10-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It means that stating a 30% approval rating for Obama among independents somehow translates into a "vast majority" will be supporting him, is not only a real reach..but it's straight up nonsense..

Now, if you have some numbers to back up your assertion, fine.. lets see them...
Numbers, what on earth are you talking about? Look at voting records if you have to have numbers, Dems vote for Dems, Repubs vote for Repubs, Indes make the difference and they will not make any choices until they know who the candidates are, only the drones don't care who is running but only which Party.
You might want to go back and re-read my post then lok at your reply before getting back to me on this.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Numbers, what on earth are you talking about? Look at voting records if you have to have numbers, Dems vote for Dems, Repubs vote for Repubs, Indes make the difference and they will not make any choices until they know who the candidates are, only the drones don't care who is running but only which Party.
You might want to go back and re-read my post then lok at your reply before getting back to me on this.
Okay, lets go back and look at your post:

Quote:
I could care less about people who vote only for party labels. And sure independents make the difference. I'm taking issue with the statement I highlighted in your post..

Which seems to be saying..if Paul isn't the GOP nominee, the "vast majority" of independents will then turn to Obama..

Exit polls from 2008, only show Obama garnering a little over 50% of the independent vote. To suggest he then is going to receive a "vast majority" of those same voters this time around, is laughable at best.

You do know what the term "vast majority" means don't you?

Exit Polls - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,059,788 times
Agree. They are being pragmatic, as we who want Mr Obama to be defeated should also be. Mr Romney is not as conservative as I'd like, but I'll vote for him nonetheless, if he is the candidate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Fox News is pretty solidly behind Romney.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Okay, lets go back and look at your post:

I could care less about people who vote only for party labels. And sure independents make the difference. I'm taking issue with the statement I highlighted in your post..

Which seems to be saying..if Paul isn't the GOP nominee, the "vast majority" of independents will then turn to Obama..

Exit polls from 2008, only show Obama garnering a little over 50% of the independent vote. To suggest he then is going to receive a "vast majority" of those same voters this time around, is laughable at best.

You do know what the term "vast majority" means don't you?

Exit Polls - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times
One more time, because they disagree with Obama on some or even many issues does not mean they will back whomever the GOP trots out. Paul has the attention of many Indes, myself included. Romney on the other hand is nothing more than a neo-conservative and Indes for the most part will not back another Bush, if you believe they will you are in for a nasty surprise in 2012. Paul has some good ideas, what has Romney got, in fact he and Obama are not even that far apart on the issues, so why change one horse for another just like him? It wont happen. Yes, some Dems may not vote because of their disagreeent with Obama, but the same can be said of Repubs, heck a lot of them here say they would vote for Paul even if he does not get the GOP nomination, which he probably won't, what do you think that is going to do to the GOP chances? Welcome to reality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections