Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
What is your proof that it is "just not true?" Financially speaking, there is this:

Wow! Is that 71 percent supports or supports and donates? I knew he had more supporters from the military than anyone else by a lot. I didn't know it was that much though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
Until I read your post I never equated Ron Paul with Texas as I did Perry, strange huh? Anyway, I have to agree that after Bush and the Patriot Act, Homeland Security etc. I had a prejudice against Texas as well. I would never vote for Perry and I could not understand his front runner status when he first announced OR the fact the media said he was a Tea Party favorite. The more the public learns about Perry, the more his polling numbers have gone down. That said, I love what Ron Paul stands for, liberty. We must get our country back on track. I voted for him in 2008 and will vote for him again in 2012.

Maybe that is because Ron Paul is orignally from Pittsburg, PA and he doesn't have a Texas accent because he grew up in PA.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
ron paul has a history of trying to help veterans out, like this legislation:

Congressman Ron Paul Cosponsors "Combat Veterans Debt Elimination Act"

Congressman Ron Paul has signed on as a cosponsor of legislation that would prohibit the Secretary of Veterans Affairs from collecting certain debts owed to the United States by members of the Armed Forces and veterans who die as a result of an injury incurred or aggravated on active duty in a combat zone.

If a service member dies in combat and has received Montgomery GI benefits, his or her surviving family members are required to repay those loans.

So far the VA has attempted to recover over $56,000 from the families of 22 deceased service members, with the bulk of the money owed in the form of college loans.

"This practice is an outrage and adds insult to injury to our fallen war heroes. They have given their lives in service to their country and they deserve better than this," stated Congressman Paul.

how outrageous is it that the government would try and collect student loans from the families of soldiers who died in combat?

i guess giving your life isn't enough.
Wow! I didn't know that. I thought part of the deal when you enter the military is that if you serve x amount of time they pay for a college education for you. It used to be that way. It is really below the belt if the government tries to go after the survivors to pay their tuition.

A college education is a rip-off these days anyway. As long as the government stays like it is, the same way doctors are forced to take a lower reimbursement rate for seniors through Medicare, colleges should be forced to take no more than they used to charge in 1980 for tuition for students in the military. After all, the quality of education has only gone DOWN since then. Why would anyone want to pay more for it?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I do not like Ron Paul's anti-military and isolationist voting record.

If a politician votes to send the military to war, then that politician better provide the funding and equipment necessary for the military to the job they were sent to do. A politician that refuses to support the military after voting to send to them to war is the worst kind of anti-military scum in my book.

The Ron Paul fanatics claim that he voted only to send our military into Afghanistan, but that is a lie. There was no mention of Afghanistan anywhere in the bill Ron Paul supported. Ron Paul voted to give President Bush a blank check to use military force against any "person, organization, or nation" that was involved in the 09/11/01 attacks. I have no problem with Ron Paul's vote to send the military to war. However, I have a very serious problem when Ron Paul refuses to support that military while they fight Ron Paul's war.

I expect that kind of despicable anti-military behavior from Democrats. I do not expect it from Republicans, or in Ron Paul's case, a Republican pretender.

Ron Paul also has a 30-year history of voting against every free trade agreement ever introduced into the House without offering any legislation of his own concerning free trade. If Ron Paul, or any politician, truly supported free trade and they felt none of the legislation being introduced was about free trade, then they would be sponsoring their own legislation that expressed their idea of free trade. Ron Paul has not done this, but continues to vote against all free-trade agreements. Coupled with the fact that Ron Paul wants all US troops based overseas to be brought back to the US and all foreign bases shut down, makes him a hardcore isolationist, without any doubt.

I think Ron Paul has completely lost touch with reality, and that is only going by his voting record.
People that think Ron Paul is isolationist or doesn't support the economy have not done their homework and are very naive to trust the major media with their OBVIOUS bias towars the status quo.

Have you READ ANY OF THE so-called "free- trade" BILLS? They have NOTHING to do with free trade. They are about having corporations base their mfg operations overseas and sending jobs over-seas. Is that what you want for our country?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
In other words: $25K in campaign donations is NOT equal to "the military overwhelmingly supports RP." This is exactly the kind of hyperbole used by RP's supporters ad nauseum. It's very offputting.

Not every topic is about Ron Paul. Not everyone who disagrees with Ron Paul is an idiot.
It is all relative. Proportionately it still is FAR more support than the other candidates get.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
By t206's logic, Obama raised $70M in the 2nd quarter, so he is "overwhelmingly" popular with the
America people. It's nonsense.
If you subtract out the corporate donations given to Obama you'll probably end up with $200,000 from the die-hard grass roots supporters. Ron Paul's donations are all from the grass roots! $30 Million to Ron Paul represents a heck of a lot more supporters than $70 Million for Obama.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:49 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default When will he disappear?

I don't like Ron Paul because his ideology has more in common with that of the Klan than it does not. He's a Republican and I find that Republicans follow a bigoted ideology. "Conservative" is another term for being a bigot. The policies, beliefs, ideas that follow from this segment are not something that works for this country and certainly not something worthy of my respect. Thumbs down on Paul.

I especially don't need any Ron Paul supporters telling me what Ron Paul is "really like." He's a repulsive political figure, which is why he was soundly rejected in '07 and is currently losing ground. If he left the race, few would care.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Paul would be better than Obama, but so would Gumby. I do agree with him on some points, but that's lost in the din of his zealots demanding 100% fealty and ideological purity.

There is no room in the Ron Paul camp for a center right conservative like me; his supporters have made that clear.
Do you not believe in FREEDOM? If you want FREEDOM, as it stands right now, Ron Paul is your only choice. None of the other candidates seem to support it.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I don't like Ron Paul because his ideology has more in common with that of the Klan than it does not. He's a Republican and I find that Republicans follow a bigoted ideology. "Conservative" is another term for being a bigot. The policies, beliefs, ideas that follow from this segment are not something that works for this country and certainly not something worthy of my respect. Thumbs down on Paul.

I especially don't need any Ron Paul supporters telling me what Ron Paul is "really like." He's a repulsive political figure, which is why he was soundly rejected in '07 and is currently losing ground. If he left the race, few would care.

I really feel sorry for people who don't care what the truth is. They only end up hurting themselves -- especially with sour attitudes like that.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

You don't understand because you are ignorant to the meaning of freedom and liberty.

The klan doesn't believe in freedom and liberty.
Freedom and Liberty do not give or deny special favors to groups. They treat everyone the same.

The man who cites MLK, Rosa Parks, and Ghandi as is heros is repulsive and bigoted? The man who wants to end the war on drugs which unfairly targets inner city minorities and destroys their lives and families is repulsive and bigoted? I know what Ron Paul stands for and after reading your posts I got a good idea what you are "really like".

One thing about the klan, you know exactly what they stand for. The ones to look out for are the deceitful ones whose actions differ from their voice.

btw the latest Reuters poll has him third. Not that the truth means anything to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections