U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM
 
4,814 posts, read 3,658,429 times
Reputation: 1114

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
We can certainly see why Perry didn't debate. He is coming out with a flat tax plan now...it should be interesting to see him try to explain that one.
His handlers have said, "With all due respect to the media, Perry's campaign will unfold on our own timetable."

Good for them! I'm tired of the media telling us what we need to do, how we need to think and who we need to vote for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM
 
8,754 posts, read 9,694,123 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
His handlers have said, "With all due respect to the media, Perry's campaign will unfold on our own timetable."

Good for them! I'm tired of the media telling us what we need to do, how we need to think and who we need to vote for.


It's probably going to take them a while to break it down for Perry so he can talk about it without faltering.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 01:13 PM
 
8,754 posts, read 9,694,123 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
There aren't any hard or fast rules you can apply to EOs. They encompass a myriad of governmental and social issues and have to be taken on a case by case basis. I don't see an issue with any of the EO's cited. On that matter, unless an EO is constitutionally based, Congress can directly affect a presidential action by either amending, nullifying, repealing revoking, or terminating the authority on which it was founded.

On the issue of Gardasil, which I think is your stickler for bringing up an EO, the stats were showing that Texas has among the highest prevalence rates of cervical cancer in the United States. CDC - Cervical Cancer Rates by State

Gov. Perry signed an EO to put the HPV on the vaccine schedule in order to bring the cost down for those that didn't want to "opt out". The whole thing was overblown.

Shouting that young girls were being forced is a lie. No one was forced to take the HPV. Another reason the age group is cited is because the vaccine would be more effective in that age group than in an older age group. It's just that simple.

Texas doesn't force vaccines on any resident.


It wouldn't be quite as simple to 'opt out' as you are making it seem. What about an 'opt in' instead?


About That Gardasil Mandate “Opt-Out” Perry Is Touting | A Time For Choosing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 01:54 PM
 
4,814 posts, read 3,658,429 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It wouldn't be quite as simple to 'opt out' as you are making it seem. What about an 'opt in' instead?


About That Gardasil Mandate “Opt-Out” Perry Is Touting | A Time For Choosing
Yes, it is quite that simple. And if you want a play on words - if you want the vaccine you, in essence, participated in an "Opt in", because it's not mandatory.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM
 
8,754 posts, read 9,694,123 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Yes, it is quite that simple. And if you want a play on words - if you want the vaccine you, in essence, participated in an "Opt in", because it's not mandatory.


It's not now, but it would have been under Perry's executive order. You had to opt out under that order. That is the point that was at issue.
So .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 PM
 
4,814 posts, read 3,658,429 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It's not now, but it would have been under Perry's executive order. You had to opt out under that order. That is the point that was at issue.
So .
No, it was never going to be a mandate without an Opt out. All vaccines in Texas offer an opt out. If you are saying it would have not included an opt out, that is false information. False from the get go.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
36,919 posts, read 38,377,401 times
Reputation: 58812
How do you know who is illegal and who is a Mexican-American?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM
 
8,754 posts, read 9,694,123 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
No, it was never going to be a mandate without an Opt out. All vaccines in Texas offer an opt out. If you are saying it would have not included an opt out, that is false information. False from the get go.

What I said was that it would not be simple to just opt out...meaning it was complicated. If you had read the link I provided, you would have understood that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
 
8,754 posts, read 9,694,123 times
Reputation: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How do you know who is illegal and who is a Mexican-American?
That's a great question and one that I am sure Rick Perry understands when it comes to contracting a lawn service company and not really knowing just by looking who is working for them or who the hired to work for them. Just like we don't know when we eat at that Mexican restaurant which servers or cooks are legal and illegal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 AM
 
4,814 posts, read 3,658,429 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
What I said was that it would not be simple to just opt out...meaning it was complicated. If you had read the link I provided, you would have understood that.
I live here, I know what it entails. It is not hard.
Quote:
Affidavit Request for Exemption from Immunizations for Reasons of Conscience


https://webds.dshs.state.tx.us/immco/affidavit.shtm
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top