Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City-Data Straw Poll 8-23/8-30
Rudy Giuliani 10 10.87%
Hillary Clinton 11 11.96%
John McCain 1 1.09%
Barack Obama 10 10.87%
Mitt Romney 6 6.52%
John Edwards 2 2.17%
Ron Paul 22 23.91%
Dennis Kucinich 8 8.70%
Tom Tancredo 3 3.26%
Mike Gravel 0 0%
Sam Brownback 0 0%
Joe Biden 3 3.26%
Christopher Dodd 0 0%
Bill Richardson 1 1.09%
Mike Huckabee 3 3.26%
Duncan Hunter 4 4.35%
Other 8 8.70%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:49 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,142,889 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see what kind of line up we would have if we polled this forum. This place is pretty diverse in its demographic make up, so here goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 12:14 AM

989 posts, read 2,755,529 times
Default I personally support Hillary

But I could live with most of the Democrats, Ron Paul, or Mitt Romney (the one who ran Massachusetts, not the one currently sucking up to the right).

There is a lot of hatred towards Hillary (I know, I used to be one of them in the 90's) but one of the reasons that I think she is a good candidate is that she has proven herself to exceptionally competent. In fact, I think that it proves how capable she is every time a Republican brings out one of the tired old accusations from the Clinton administration (Whitewater, Vince Foster, etc) which were thoroughly investigated and yielded no charges, rather than something from within the past 3 years.

Last edited by Evlevo; 08-24-2007 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,142,889 times
Evlevo, well I have no hatred towards Hillary, I just think she is kind of cold, calculating, and opportunistic. However I will give you the fact that she knows her way around politics. I'm looking for something a little more fresh in Washington.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:17 AM

24,453 posts, read 33,130,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
In fact, I think that it proves how capable she is every time a Republican brings out one of the tired old accusations from the Clinton administration (Whitewater, Vince Foster, etc) which were thoroughly investigated and yielded no charges, rather than something from within the past 3 years.
What are you talking about?
Ken Starr got convictions against 14 of Clinton's business associates (pretty impressive for a guy who "came up empty" in the Whitewater investigation!).
Among those convicted were former Associate Attorney General of the United States Webster Hubble, the Governor of Arkansas Jim Guy Tucker, and the Clinton's close personal friends Jim and Susan McDougal.

Either the Clinton's were very slick (which they were: remember the shredding of documents?) because everyone else around them got nailed while they wiggled free, or they were very dumb because everyone around them was up to their ears in shady deals, and the Clinton's were completely "clueless" about all of this. I think the first scenario is more likely.

Bill Clinton didn't get away completely, though.
He became only the second President in U.S. history to be impeached. He became the first President to be found in contempt of court, and fined, by a Federal Judge (the judge was a Democrat, btw).

Clinton was forced to surrender his law license to the State of Arkansas as a result of his wrong doing.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 AM

308 posts, read 709,779 times
I support Duncan Hunter.

The Official Site of Duncan Hunter for US President in 2008 (http://www.gohunter08.com/index.asp - broken link)

Duncan Hunter is a man of convictions. He served in the Vietnam War in the 173rd Airborne Brigade and the 75th Ranger Regiment.

In 1994, Hunter legislatively mandated the construction of 14 miles of security fencing on the international land border separating San Diego County and Tijuana, Mexico and it worked!!
Border Security And The Border Fence

His son is a U.S. Marine and Duncan Hunter's personal support of the new security strategy or the "Surge" in Iraq has sent his own son back to Iraq for his third deployment!

Wow. Talk about putting your heart where your mouth is.

Hunter's son headed back to Iraq North County Times - North San Diego and Southwest Riverside County News (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/04/10/news/top_stories/7_04_904_9_07.txt - broken link)

He is articlulate and honorable. He also understands the threats we face.

Duncan Hunter on the border fence, to protect Americans, which is something Bush refuses to do.

YouTube - Duncan Hunter on the Border Fence

Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,372,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What are you talking about?
Ken Starr got convictions against 14 of Clinton's business associates (pretty impressive for a guy who "came up empty" in the Whitewater investigation!).
Among those convicted were former Associate Attorney General of the United States Webster Hubble, the Governor of Arkansas Jim Guy Tucker, and the Clinton's close personal friends Jim and Susan McDougal.
Well, let's see what sort of big fish we actually got for our money from Mr Starr. Here is the complete list of the fourteen people he eventually managed to convict of something or other...

Webster Hubbell: By pawing through his books, Starr's investigators uncovered the fact that via some creative bookkeeping, he had over the years bilked his clients (and his law partners) out of about $400,000.

James McDougal: As owner of an S&L, he had improperly issued federally-backed loans to finance real estate investment deals.

Robert Palmer: A real estate appraiser, he had filed false papers in connection with said real estate investment deals.

Larry Kuca: Guilty of misdemeanor charges related to assisting in the fraudulent lending practices of McDougal.

Susan McDougal: Participated in a scheme to obtain fraudulent loans from the Small Business Administration through a firm operated by David Hale.

David Hale: Used his firm to obtain fraudulent loans from the Small Business Administration.

Eugene Fitzhugh: Tried to bribe Hale in connection with obtaining more fraudulent loans from the SBA.

Charles Mathews: Misdemeanor charges related to participating with Fitzhugh in trying to bribe Hale in order to obtain more fraudulent loans from the SBA.

Stephen Smith: Lied about the particulars of a loan he had personally obtained from Hale.

Jim Guy Tucker: Deliberately misstated the facts on papers related to a cable-TV system bankruptcy filing.

William Marks: Participated with Tucker in the cable-TV bankruptcy filings.

Christopher Wade: Participated with Tucker in the cable-TV bankruptcy filings.

John Haley: Failed to provide correct information to the government relating to the cable-TV bankruptcy filings.

Neal Ainley: Improperly concealed cash contributions to the Clinton campaign.

So, that's it. Those are the fourteen. In his five years and with upwards of $40 million, Starr plowed into the personal and financial affairs of just about everyone the Clinton's had ever known in Little Rock, and found that one of them had overbilled his clients, one had used his position to divert funds into real estate deals, another had found an illegal way to get favorable loans from the government, one had not been entirely forthcoming about finances involved in a bankruptcy filing, and one had not properly revealed a campaign contribution. In something of a shocking oversight by Starr, we did not learn how many parking tickets each of these individuals had been issued over the years.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:36 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,635,658 times
I am all for Duncan Hunter too. He seems to be the best candidate of the bunch. Hillary is unelectable as she is just simply so divisive, Obama and Kucinich are extremist whackos. I do see Hillary trying to become a moderate now in order to try to get herself elected but as stated previously by another poster, it just proves she is an opportunist. I don't mind Mitt Romney and his RINO tendencies but he seems like he could unite the people which is what this country sorely needs.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,590,209 times
I'm assuming that some of the "other" votes are because Fred Thompson is not listed?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:50 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,109,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I'm assuming that some of the "other" votes are because Fred Thompson is not listed?
Yup, I'm sure they are.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,372,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
I don't mind Mitt Romney and his RINO tendencies but he seems like he could unite the people which is what this country sorely needs.
The Iraqi people are likely to be united sooner than Americans, and there are some parallels between the two situations. The right-wingers here are like the Shiites in some ways. They don't want to be united with liberals. They'd as soon see liberals exterminated. Liberals are a bit like the Sunnis. Not very happy over all these Shia attempts to shut them out of everything. And the intellectuals and independents are then cast as the Kurds, wishing a pox on both the other houses and wishing to go their own separate way. Good luck with creating any unity out of that. Mitt Romney? Sheesh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections