Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Why? I'm seriously curious what the problem is with him. Because he served as an ambassador in the Obama administration? Those positions have crossed party lines lots of times in the past, and that's not exactly rolling up your sleeves in the D's domestic issues. It looks like it was a "keep your enemies closer" move by the D's because they know Huntsman could be a real threat in terms of the independent vote, and even some conservative/moderate D's.
Because he's sane, moderate, and professional. The tea party infiltration and the way fox has brainwashed many on the right make someone like Huntsman the enemy. They want that extreme right, insult throwing, catch phrases using candidate. I saw a segment on the other day with one of the tea party leaders from freedomworks and when asked who they support he responded they are not sure yet, but definitely not Huntsman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Because he's sane, moderate, and professional. The tea party infiltration and the way fox has brainwashed many on the right make someone like Huntsman the enemy. They want that extreme right, insult throwing, catch phrases using candidate. I saw a segment on the other day with one of the tea party leaders from freedomworks and when asked who they support he responded they are not sure yet, but definitely not Huntsman.
So we don't want to nominate someone who'll be a great president--we want to nominate the guy most likely to scream at the ref at a hockey game? Is it really down to that?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I agree that Huntsman is too logical and analytical to be a serious candidate. He doesnt use slogans and is not a six shooter-----he doesnt brandish outrageous comparisons----he doesnt even go after the flavor of the month voting blocs----he will never do.

He has no shot----why would an organized and methodical problem solver who is not a flamethrower have a shot???

Old 10-27-2011, 12:37 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
So we don't want to nominate someone who'll be a great president--we want to nominate the guy most likely to scream at the ref at a hockey game? Is it really down to that?
To those on the right, yes.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
I think Republicans as a whole would prefer to "go down with the ship" rather than nominate Huntsman. After the McCain loss, the predominant calls were to go harder right and ultra-conservative, and reject the type of Republicanism Huntsman represents.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I think Republicans as a whole would prefer to "go down with the ship" rather than nominate Huntsman. After the McCain loss, the predominant calls were to go harder right and ultra-conservative, and reject the type of Republicanism Huntsman represents.
The GOP is in a Catch 22 of their own making. They want to nominate a person who can win, but no one they want to nominate CAN win. This is a result of right-wing ultra-conservatives taking over the party.

The Dems used to be in a similar boat. From 1968 to 1992, the party's Left Wing called the shots, and ultimately alienated American voters with their excesses. It took Clinton and the moderate Democratic Leadership Conference to bring the Dems back into national power.

Maybe, after losing two or three presidential elections in a row, the GOP will get control of it's RW, and swing back toward moderation too.

Time will tell.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I understand the tack hard right, but to the extent where you throw it all away? Where is the "practical conservatism" in that? I know some of you really like Romney, but he's done more than change his mind--he's been all over the place--and I think it's going to really hurt him in terms of character questions. Huntsman and Romney aren't far apart on policy issues--I still don't get why Romney is acceptable, and Huntsman isn't, unless the entire thing comes down to a short stint working under a D without having anything to do with D domestic policy. It blows me away.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
I understand the tack hard right, but to the extent where you throw it all away? Where is the "practical conservatism" in that?
Practicality is anathema to ideologues. It implies the verbotten compromise.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
It is not about his being sane or logical or intelligent or any of those things...please don't be so condescending because it waters down your whole argument.

It is about several things. First of all, he is relatively unknown and that doesn't help, but so was Herman Cain and even though people might have known Rick Perry's name...they obviously didn't 'know' him...so it is not just that.

Having worked for Obama and having praised him is not a positive either, although as has been pointed out, others have done similar and gotten away with it...so that's no totally it either.

However, if you take the issues that Romney has with the far right and the Tea Party and multiply them by 3, you have a big chunk of Huntsman's problems. He is a Mormon, he's moderate, and so on.

But, it still isn't all of that alone, Huntsman doesn't have a personality that comes across as likeable. Even though he is intelligent, he comes across as a know-it-all and sort of odd. He is sort of the kid in high school that isn't cool even though he has the money and the car, he still is trying to make it to cool. In the debates, he makes these corny little jokes and digs that really just fall flat are not timed well. He has to tell you he speaks Chinese and things like that. That just doesn't play well. He might grow on people over time...sort of like a wart, but he isn't there yet.

Dont' shoot the messenger, you asked and I answered.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It is not about his being sane or logical or intelligent or any of those things...please don't be so condescending because it waters down your whole argument.

It is about several things. First of all, he is relatively unknown and that doesn't help, but so was Herman Cain and even though people might have known Rick Perry's name...they obviously didn't 'know' him...so it is not just that.

Having worked for Obama and having praised him is not a positive either, although as has been pointed out, others have done similar and gotten away with it...so that's no totally it either.

However, if you take the issues that Romney has with the far right and the Tea Party and multiply them by 3, you have a big chunk of Huntsman's problems. He is a Mormon, he's moderate, and so on.

But, it still isn't all of that alone, Huntsman doesn't have a personality that comes across as likeable. Even though he is intelligent, he comes across as a know-it-all and sort of odd. He is sort of the kid in high school that isn't cool even though he has the money and the car, he still is trying to make it to cool. In the debates, he makes these corny little jokes and digs that really just fall flat are not timed well. He has to tell you he speaks Chinese and things like that. That just doesn't play well. He might grow on people over time...sort of like a wart, but he isn't there yet.

Dont' shoot the messenger, you asked and I answered.
First off--if you think expressing my opinion is condescending, then you need to develop a little tougher skin. If you would have bothered to actually read my questions before you worked yourself into a snit, you'd see that I wondered if it was an issue of working with Obama vs. his qualifications. You're right--it's happened before, and it shouldn't be the end of the world. We do have a problem with extremist candidates in the primary, and it's pretty obvious that that's what a chunk of the base really wants, vs. substance. Nothing condescending there--just the truth. Unfortunately, the truth isn't always pretty.

You may not like Huntsman, and that's fine, but he won his second term as governor with over 70% of the vote--they loved him in Utah. As far as the rest--his stand on issues isn't dramatically different from Romney's, without all the flip flopping. Romney has about as much personality as a dead fish, and you never know what he actually thinks or believes because he seems to change direction daily. Both are mormons. Huntsman doesn't stand up in a debate well where winning is the best one liner or slam--I'll give you that--but I don't think he's odd. You're entitled to your opinions, but don't start crying foul when the D's go on a full scale attack--you know Romney has major flaws that he's going to have to overcome in the general, and I don't know if he can do it. We'll have to see.

Last edited by mb1547; 10-27-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections