Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Obama will be reelected?
Yes, by a big margin 15 19.74%
Yes, but it will be close 28 36.84%
No 33 43.42%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
He will coast to a 2nd term IMHO.
They are not "falling apart"...they are being assassinated by the lefty media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:07 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
A 'regular' Christian...as opposed to an 'irregular' Christian? I think you either are a Christian or you are not, but I think I know what you meant. I am beginning to think a lot of the anti-Romney crowd do have an underlying anti-Mormon sentiment that is the basis.
Should Lutherans rebaptize former Mormons who are joining the congregation? - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Quote:
The last statement moves us beyond issues about the liturgical rite and points us to consider the teaching of the church and its faith in a trinitarian God. Although Mormons may use water — and lots of it — and while they may say "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit," their teaching about the nature of God is substantially different from that of orthodox, creedal Christianity. Because the Mormon understanding of the Word of God is not the same as the Christian understanding, it is correct to say that Christian Baptism has not taken place. A former Mormon joining an ELCA congregation may be offered Christian Baptism (not rebaptism).
Calendar Item Text: | General Conference 2000
United Methodists adopt guidelines for Mormons joining church

Quote:
The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, by self-definition,does not fit within the bounds of the historic, apostolic tradition of Christian faith. This conclusion is supported by the fact that the LDS Church itself, while calling itself Christian, explicitly professes a distinction and separateness from the ecumenical community and is intentional about clarifying significant differences in doctrine. As United Methodists we agree with their assessment that the LDS Church is not a part of the historic, apostolic tradition of the Christian faith."
http://www.pcusa.org/media/uploads/i...rdaysaints.pdf

Quote:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, like the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), declares allegiance to Jesus. Latter-day Saints and Presbyterians share use of the Bible as scripture, and members of both churches use common theological terms. Nevertheless, Mormonism is a new and emerging religious tradition distinct from the historic apostolic tradition of the Christian Church, of which Presbyterians are a part.

Response on the validity of baptism conferred by «mormons»

Quote:
Question: Wheter the baptism conferred by the community «The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints», called «Mormons» in the vernacular, is valid.

Response: Negative.

The Supreme Pontiff John Paul II, in the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect, approved the present Response, decided in the Sessione Ordinaria of this Congregation, and ordered it published.

From the Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, 5 June 2001.

Buncha anti-mormon kooks those guys right there...

Old 11-03-2011, 02:31 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
I'm waiting for a Native American that practices his/her own religion to get elected

Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm waiting for a Native American that practices his/her own religion to get elected
If it's one of the ones with ritual peyote/ayahuasca count me in!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The "lefty media" is not making them insert their foot into their mouth, they are doing a geat job of committing suicide all on their own, shades of Palin.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:18 PM

458 posts, read 776,749 times
Quote:
No excuse for the way the Cain campaign has handled this situation. They had 10 days to get it right. If Cain had just a news conference and said "Over a decade ago, two different women accused me of sexual harassment. They took my innocent comments and took it out of context for financial gain. My legal council decided it was best for the association and myself to settle instead of engaging in a costly and public court case. If I had to do it over again, I would gone to court against these women and proven my innocence. I understand some might assume a settlement package is some admission to guilt, but I assure you nothing is further from the truth, I never harassed these women, or any other woman".

"For my family's sake, this is the one and only time I will comment on this matter."

Old 11-03-2011, 03:30 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,987,536 times
Quote:
Funny, Herman Cain's campaign is accusing the Perry camp of being behind these revelations!

'pretzelogik' indeed...

Old 11-03-2011, 04:00 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I wanted to believe these people are not really still that ignorant, but I am starting to think many are. Some recent studies on the issue indicate that there is a bias for those that use terms like 'flip flopping Mormon' and compare Romney to Obama when in reality there isn't a lot of a comparison, their issues with him may be based on anti-Mormonism. At least, you are honest about your prejudice and ignorance.
Bigotry really is alive and well in America, dixiegirl. A huge reason behind all of the anti-Mormon sentiment so prevalent today is ignorance. People think they know a whole lot more about the religion than they really do. It's unfortunate, but ignorance breeds fear, and fear breeds hatred.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:06 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
It doesn't both me in the slightest that Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians and Baptists rebaptize individuals who are converting to those churches from Mormonism. If someone converts from one of those churches to Mormonism, we rebaptize. And at the end of the day, none of this is pertinent in any way to the election of our next President.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It doesn't both me in the slightest that Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians and Baptists rebaptize individuals who are converting to those churches from Mormonism. If someone converts from one of those churches to Mormonism, we rebaptize. And at the end of the day, none of this is pertinent in any way to the election of our next President.
Well no duh but I was responding to the other poster's allegation of anti-mormon bigotry when no major mainline denomination which still accounts for the majority of self-professed christians in america recognize mormons as legitimate christians. We've been over this before, but regardless of whether you agree with it or not, the fact remains that even among non-lunatic christians it's a point of contention, to the point of every major denomination establishing official doctrine on the subject.

Fair or not, you can't just go and set up a burger stand called McKatzpur's and sell a chicken sandwich and call it a Big Mac.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 11-03-2011 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections