Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 12:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
That is quite odd then, every single person i know of their health insurance has sky rocketed, and they each have different insurance .

Premiums have been raised on almost every person i know of. When all of our troops our home, i will believe it. The economy is tanked because of him. When the sixteen people i know of who lost their jobs and some homes because of Obama, are all on their feet once again, i will be happy.
You cannot tell me in this economy people can save a dime, that is not true.

Lets see if all you hard working servicemen and women, find Jobs. Because personally i know plenty who cannot? Jobs, the high unemployment rate has

skyrocketed under Obama. Don't get me wrong, i want you all too, but this is the real world, and jobs are not out there for anyone. Not talking holiday temp jobs either.

The joke will be on you when you graduate, and can't find a job.
I could debate the pros and cons of the health care reform, and how Bush ruined the economy and Obama actually ended the recession in 2009 and how the GDP has been increasing slowly ever since, and also point out the fact that you seem to want the troops to come home but you voted for McCain who vowed to keep the troops in Iraq for "100 years" if necessary, but this thread isn't about that. It's about the Republican polls which show that candidates who are the most conservative, like Paul and Newt, don't do well, while liberals like Romney and tax hikers like Cain do really well. If you have a response as to why you guys don't vote for your truly conservative candidates, we'd like to hear it. Otherwise, keep your Obama arguments in another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I'm confused, conservatives do nothing but bash Obama and all of his policies yet the candidate doing best in Republican poles, Romney, is the one who is most similar to Obama? He has established a similar health care program in his state, emissions caps on businesses in his state, and clearly stated he doesn't plan on doing anything significant with the tax code.

The leading conservative cause is supposedly lowering taxes, and the candidate that does second best in Republican poles, Cain, has proposed a tax plan that will not only implement a NEW tax (that will most certainly be increased in the future), but that even the conservative Wall Street Journal said will "raise taxes on most American households." Cain's 9-9-9 Plan, Flat and VAT and Shifting Burdens — Letters to the Editor - WSJ.com

The candidate who was doing third best (until recently), Perry, has lenient immigration and amnesty policies in his state and passed something similar to the dream act. He is apparently so unconcerned with reducing the size of government he can't even remember what federal agencies he would get rid of.

Hell, we can even look back to 2008, when you guys nominated McCain? The most liberal "mavrerick" on the ballot, who agreed with the bailout and campaigned on putting regulations back on Wall Street?

Yet ironically, the candidate with the most conservative voting record in congress, Paul, and who is probably the only candidate that would take significant steps to cut spending, lower taxes and reform the tax code, and reduce the size of government, doesn't do well in your polls? I'm honestly baffled and confused. Why don't your voting habits reflect your supposed ideology?
There are varying levels of conservatism to start with and there are social conservatives, fiscal conservatives and mixtures. From time to time a person has to either re-consider how they stand or learn to compromise. We can't have it our way all the time; some fights are worth fighting, some not. The idea candidate does not exist unless you have your head in the sand..

Nita

Old 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
I'm confused, conservatives do nothing but bash Obama and all of his policies yet the candidate doing best in Republican poles, Romney, is the one who is most similar to Obama? He has established a similar health care program in his state, emissions caps on businesses in his state, and clearly stated he doesn't plan on doing anything significant with the tax code.

The leading conservative cause is supposedly lowering taxes, and the candidate that does second best in Republican poles, Cain, has proposed a tax plan that will not only implement a NEW tax (that will most certainly be increased in the future), but that even the conservative Wall Street Journal said will "raise taxes on most American households." Cain's 9-9-9 Plan, Flat and VAT and Shifting Burdens — Letters to the Editor - WSJ.com

The candidate who was doing third best (until recently), Perry, has lenient immigration and amnesty policies in his state and passed something similar to the dream act. He is apparently so unconcerned with reducing the size of government he can't even remember what federal agencies he would get rid of.

Hell, we can even look back to 2008, when you guys nominated McCain? The most liberal "mavrerick" on the ballot, who agreed with the bailout and campaigned on putting regulations back on Wall Street?

Yet ironically, the candidate with the most conservative voting record in congress, Paul, and who is probably the only candidate that would take significant steps to cut spending, lower taxes and reform the tax code, and reduce the size of government, doesn't do well in your polls? I'm honestly baffled and confused. Why don't your voting habits reflect your supposed ideology?

Answer:

Communist spectrum

Obama> Romney>Perry>Gingrich>Cain>Paul

It would be like voting for Kerry or Gore, simply because Bush was a liberal republican. Who in thier right mind would have voted for Gore or Kerry?

Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Answer:

Communist spectrum

Obama> Romney>Perry>Gingrich>Cain>Paul

It would be like voting for Kerry or Gore, simply because Bush was a liberal republican. Who in thier right mind would have voted for Gore or Kerry?
You do realize in my initial post, which you probably didn't even read, I'm talking about the GOP primary elections right? Geez, the lack of reading comprehension on this forum is frightening.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
There are no perfect candidates. Some of us conservatives are fiscal only, some socially, some both. Personally, I just want someone that can exhibit real leadership. If that is Romney, who I agree is a RINO, so be it. I can put aside policy differences with Obama, but the man is simply not leadership material. The most important aspect of curing our economic woes is confidence. Obama is not towing that line, actually he is eroding confidence in business by attacking its core. I think Newt would make the best President out of the group simply because he has shown the ability to work with both sides of aisle, and I believe he is the only speaker to have balanced the budget in my lifetime.
So are voting for Newt in the primaries?

On another note, why haven't any conservatives provided a good answer yet? Most of the post respond with they vote that way because anyone is better than Obama, but I'm talking about the GOP primary elections.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:11 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,400 times
Just look at how well Cain has done for an example of this. It's proof that all you need to to is put a label in front of a name (Tea Party in his case) and people will rally behind it regardless of the persons actual ideology. Cain, like Perry, was Democrat at one point. He supported TARP, completely failed to see the housing crisis coming, has sent mixed signals on abortion, gun rights, and taxes and at one point seemed to think he could restrict the rights of Muslims in America.

Nothing about him is really conservative, but with blabber-mouth neo-con media and the right "labels" on him, Cain and people like him can gain a lot of support. The whole "let's beat Obama!!!" thing is going to hurt the GOP in the end especially if they nominate the wrong person and Ron Paul/Gary Johnson supporters it it out.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:18 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,305 times
Quote:

It's because a segmentation of the GOP base are fickle when it comes to the field of GOP candidates we have today. They are also hypocrites.

The sane GOP voters I know are constructively criticizing the current field of GOP candidates without bringing Obama into the equation. They just aren't hanging out on Internet forums like this one.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Quote:
So are voting for Newt in the primaries?

On another note, why haven't any conservatives provided a good answer yet? Most of the post respond with they vote that way because anyone is better than Obama, but I'm talking about the GOP primary elections.
That is difficult to say. Our primary is much later in the season so I do not know who will be available to vote for. By the time we voted in primaries in 2008, it was down to just 3 people IIRC. If Newt is still hanging in there, he will probably get my vote. Personally I hope Bachmann, Santorum, and Perry have left the building by then.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
When you say things like Romney is the same as Obama and other such silliness, it completely makes everything else you say not credible. Mitt Romney is being painted in that light to try to discredit him, but I will guarantee that if he gets the nomination, suddenly the same liberals will say he is too far to the right. Obama has not governed in the way he campaigned for the most part. Why? Because he made promises that in the real world he could not keep. The same as a few of the candidates in the Republican race now are doing. It sounds so impressive to say you will do this or that when running, but when you take office and don't, then you look like liar and lose credibility.
Well to be fair sometimes Mitt Romney is "to the left of Ted Kennedy," sometimes like last night at the debate he loves free markets and makes Barry Goldwater seem like a moderate. It's hard to say what Romney really believes because it's so ever changing. I will say that I believe he has one true core conviction and that is that he really wants to President.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
That is difficult to say. Our primary is much later in the season so I do not know who will be available to vote for. By the time we voted in primaries in 2008, it was down to just 3 people IIRC. If Newt is still hanging in there, he will probably get my vote. Personally I hope Bachmann, Santorum, and Perry have left the building by then.
What about Cain? Shouldn't he be the first one you hope leaves the building? Bipartisan analyst have asserted that his tax plan would increase taxes for most Americans. Isn't contemporary conservative ideology centered around lowering taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections