Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times

Advertisements

At first I addressed this question to Republicans because it is particularly relevant this election cycle but the same thing happens when that are multiple candidates in the Democratic race.

Anyway,

Considering how Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are being treated in the debates raises the question, why do the political parties allow candidates to be excluded from the debates simply because their poll numbers haven't reached some predetermined level. It makes for a Catch 22, if a candidate is not well known and as a t can't get known because they are either excluded or marginalized by the debate host and their broadcaster?

What do ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,904,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
At first I addressed this question to Republicans because it is particularly relevant this election cycle but the same thing happens when that are multiple candidates in the Democratic race.

Anyway,

Considering how Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are being treated in the debates raises the question, why do the political parties allow candidates to be excluded from the debates simply because their poll numbers haven't reached some predetermined level. It makes for a Catch 22, if a candidate is not well known and as a t can't get known because they are either excluded or marginalized by the debate host and their broadcaster?

What do ya think?
Actually, and this will surprise some here, I agree. If they are candidates then they should get equal time when all the candidates are involved in a debate. Fair is fair. Now, where I do have some issue is that these debates are controlled by the GOP, and if they wanted to they could change it, why is they do not.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:

Anyway,

What do ya think?

They want the keys to the internet, don't they.

Guess why!

The FCC was created for the sole purpose of restricting 1st amendment rights.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:40 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,649,798 times
Quote:

Anyway,

What do ya think?
This is why you hear people saying things like, "The media is telling you what to think and who to vote for".

Most people do not educate themselves very well, if at all, when it comes to politics. They simply follow what the t.v. tells them to do.

"Gee, that sounded good, he must be a good guy."

"Ooh, that sounded bad, he must be a bad guy."

That is the extent of "research" far too many people do when it comes to politicians.

The media, "both sides", Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, etc are making it pretty darn clear who they want to win the Republican primary. They control the airwaves but thus far, they cannot control the internet. The word has to get out through the internet, through face to face contact, over the phone, whatever because the media has decided who will win.

Like was said, they like to pretend and let us believe we actually have a choice.

I want Ron Paul to win. I'm hesitant to get excited BECAUSE the media does its job of blocking out or smearing so well. But as time approaches, we'll see if what another said was right, it's going to be Mitt, Mitt, Mitt because that's what the media has told us to do or if there is a snowball's chance in hell that maybe this one time, maybe, we could actually get someone in there who will do so much better for this country and the media can get the **** out of the way.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,874,201 times
Quote:

Anyway,

What do ya think?
I do agree 100%. This happened in 2008 in the Democratic primaries when Mike Gravel and Dennis Kucinich were getting the same treatment Ron Paul and Gary Johnson are getting today in 2011, and I'll tell ya. I was pulling for Mike Gravel in 2008, but he dropped out before the PA primaries started. I voted for Obama because I fell for the media influence that Obama was going to make everything rosy and ok, and McCain was Bush III.

2010 was when I fully woke up and found out that it didn't matter who won the general election. Both were going to continue the same policies was Bush Jr. I had a subconscious feeling that Obama was going to fool us if he won (which is why I was going for Gravel), but in the end at the voting booth, my mind said "It's ok, vote for Obama he's sorta like Gravel".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections