Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times

Advertisements

Romney probably has the best chance of winning the Republican nomination, but if he is actually elected what will he actually be a liberal, a moderate, or a conservative?

When he was running for senate in mass - he made himself out to be a liberal Republican. When he was running for governor - he made himself out to be a moderate, and now running for President - he is suddenly a conservative.

Nobody knows what this guy really believes or how he will govern. I don't see him being that different than Obama based on his record in Mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Obama campaigned as a moderate liberal. He's governing like the radical statist Bush was with some corporate fascism thrown in, just like his predecessor. Romney will govern the same way no matter what his campaign style is like. At the end of the day, talk is cheap. Your voting record is what matters, and Romney voted like a typical big government stooge who will do just more of the same. If Republicans nominate Romney, I can promise you now that he's going to break most, if not all, his campaign promises just like Obama did.

Romney is Hope and Change RC2

Old 11-19-2011, 06:16 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Who knows? Isn't that why he's stuck on 20 something percent?

Not too long ago I read (either George Will or Michael Barone, I think, can't remember which one) that Romney being all over the place on everything is actually viewed as a positive by some Repubblican establishment types in his corner. They claim the Democrats can't sink their teeth into anything because no one knows what he stands for (only what he stands for today). I think they even had a euphemism for it: versatility of conviction.

I still say if you want to know how a candidate will act in a job look at how he acted in his previous positions and forget about what they are promising now. In Romney's case, look at how he governed Massachusetts. I don't know too much about that beyond Romneycare and not much job creation.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 AM

74 posts, read 141,275 times
Romney is a "i need to please whoever i need to please, to win an election" politician. It would be silly to call him a true Conservative, but it would also be silly to call him a Liberal, in my opinion. Which is why i think he's stuck in the polls while others surge and fall.........Republicans are looking for another option to Romney, because they don't view him as a true Conservative, and subsequently don't trust him on true conservative issues. Me, as an Independent, i don't like Romney for the simple fact that he is a typical establishment-politician, who just says what he thinks people want to hear........that pisses me off to be frank. But at the end of the day, i too think he's going to be the Nominee.......and VP will be a battle between Gingrich and Cain. Rubio isn't running, and neither are Ryan. Those are two honorable men who want to do their jobs, like they were elected to.......both have said they didn't become congressmen as a political stepping stone to the vice presidency, and i beleive them completely.......so they leaves us with Gingrich and Cain........perhaps Palin, but as much as i LOVEEEEEEEE her, i think that would be a bad idea for the ticket.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope & Love! View Post
Romney is a "i need to please whoever i need to please, to win an election" politician. It would be silly to call him a true Conservative, but it would also be silly to call him a Liberal, in my opinion. Which is why i think he's stuck in the polls while others surge and fall.........Republicans are looking for another option to Romney, because they don't view him as a true Conservative, and subsequently don't trust him on true conservative issues. Me, as an Independent, i don't like Romney for the simple fact that he is a typical establishment-politician, who just says what he thinks people want to hear........that pisses me off to be frank. But at the end of the day, i too think he's going to be the Nominee.......and VP will be a battle between Gingrich and Cain. Rubio isn't running, and neither are Ryan. Those are two honorable men who want to do their jobs, like they were elected to.......both have said they didn't become congressmen as a political stepping stone to the vice presidency, and i beleive them completely.......so they leaves us with Gingrich and Cain........perhaps Palin, but as much as i LOVEEEEEEEE her, i think that would be a bad idea for the ticket.

Reading your post ...makes one (me) realize what a BIG STINKING mess this coming 2012 nominee's and election...IS going to be!! Scary, it strongly appears America, AGAIN, is the BIG LOSER, regardless of 'who' is the next POTUSA.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Reading your post ...makes one (me) realize what a BIG STINKING mess this coming 2012 nominee's and election...IS going to be!! Scary, it strongly appears America, AGAIN, is the BIG LOSER, regardless of 'who' is the next POTUSA.
I'm shocked you're just now figuring that gem out, this nominee process is already a mess, and sadly, the 2012 elections is going to be one big fat dirty nasty partisan mess. It's pathetic, yes, but it's the current state of politics......which "hell in a hand basket" doesn't nearly describe well enough.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Romney is a "i need to please whoever i need to please, to win an election" politician.
You got that right! And since his staff wiped clean all computer records from his stint as Massachusetts governor which would undoubtedly paint him as a liberal, he's also an evasive liar.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
You got that right! And since his staff wiped clean all computer records from his stint as Massachusetts governor which would undoubtedly paint him as a liberal, he's also an evasive liar.
Exactly! He really stinks of "typical politician".....which is why in my heart of hearts, i'm hoping Republicans can win without him as the nominee!!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Exactly! He really stinks of "typical politician".....which is why in my heart of hearts, i'm hoping Republicans can win without him as the nominee!!
Who would you like to see as the GOP nominee?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Is Romney a liberal, a moderate, or a conservative?

I think he is whatever you want him to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections