Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,262,791 times

Advertisements

People do not realize that hemp use to be legal until lobbyist for the paper companies mainly R. Hearst and the chemical giant Dupont pressured the bought politicans to make it illegal. Now those same corporations along with the liquor/tabacco industries are fighting to keep it illegal by using the religious right and the uniformed about it's uses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 02:40 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,262,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
We don't have social programs for folks who are addicted to cigarettes why would need one for folks addicted to pot?
Did you know that alot of our military men and women did some sort of illegal drug prior to enlisting and have replace their drug of chioce with alcohol?

Old 11-23-2011, 02:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,153,114 times
I suspect they drank plenty of alcohol before they joined too.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,846,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Oh I did not mention the rest of my "thoughts"
Hemp can be used for clothing, thus creating more jobs in the garment industry. Ford has proven that it can be used to make plastic as well as a cheap fuel source (plastics/alternative fuel industry). Hempseeds are a execellent form of protein (food industry). It is also a better choice to use then killing trees since it takes up less space to cultivate (pulp industry) (sorry koch brothers). To top it all off the farmers in states that are growing illegally anyway such as california, north carolina, tennesse and kentucky could see legal revenue.
Quote:
People do not realize that hemp use to be legal until lobbyist for the paper companies mainly R. Hearst and the chemical giant Dupont pressured the bought politicans to make it illegal. Now those same corporations along with the liquor/tabacco industries are fighting to keep it illegal by using the religious right and the uniformed about it's uses.

Keep on preaching! You are destroying any possible argument for the continuation of marijuana prohibition. It is insane at this point and so many people do not understand the underlying reasons for it being outlawed in the first place.

I forget who said it on here, it might of been you, but it is so true.
"Money doesn't grow on trees, but Marijuana does"

Old 11-23-2011, 03:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,514,821 times
Quote:
I always believed that hemp should be made legal and taxed, the revenue should be used in the "war" on the more harmful ones such as cocaine, herione and meth. The revenue can also be used fund addiction treatment facilities. Now just think of the millions of tax dollars that would be trimmed from the budget!
I don't understand this line of thinking. Why look at a product as another source of revenue to grow gov''t? I look at products like hemp as useful for many purposes to benefit people. We will buy the products and pay the state tax for that purchase. The people that grow it, and refine it for products, will grow rich. Capitalism at it's finest. The money is not yours, or the govt's, so I wish people would quit trying to figure out ways to spend profits of a private enterprize.
You don't smoke or get high off of hemp, so it has nothing to do with this farce we call the war on drugs.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 PM

22,230 posts, read 17,777,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
guy i know at work is a huge ron paul fan. huge, voted for him in 08 and will again. knows that both parties are the same, and doesn't buy into the republican vs. democrat deal.

he is a unique guy. doesn't own a tv in his home and is planning on home schooling his kids. when asked on why he doesnt own a tv he said he went on about the power of tv and how it gets people to think certain ways, manipulation etc.

he also said he would only allow his kids to watch shows he approved of, and hated how tv depicts family these days. he said he would've been fine with shows like the cosby show, family matters, full house, shows that have a positive message, families with strong husbands, and united families.

i actually agree with him for the most part.

the cosby show would be off the air in a week in todays society, even though it had positive messages, strong husband and a united family. that message doesnt sell anymore, too bad actually.
How do they come off? Like a Deer frozen in headlights.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I don't understand this line of thinking. Why look at a product as another source of revenue to grow gov''t? I look at products like hemp as useful for many purposes to benefit people. We will buy the products and pay the state tax for that purchase. The people that grow it, and refine it for products, will grow rich. Capitalism at it's finest. The money is not yours, or the govt's, so I wish people would quit trying to figure out ways to spend profits of a private enterprize.
You don't smoke or get high off of hemp, so it has nothing to do with this farce we call the war on drugs.
Yes, indeed, claudhopper.
Commercial hemp varieties are specifically bred to have a super low cannibanol content for one excellent reason: the plant uses it's energy to either grow or to produce cannibanol. Cultivated pot plants would be useless for hemp, as the fibers are very weak. Cultivated hemp is completely opposite- it is cultivated for maximum fiber strength.
A person could try to smoke 50 pounds of commercial hemp and still not get high.

Hemp could be an immensely valuable fiber crop. It could replace the use of trees for paper, can be spun into clothing fiber, and it's properties as a rope and cordage product can't be duplicated for it's lack of stretch and strength by any other product, natural or chemical. All the others lack one or the other.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,514,821 times
I"m with you mike. This article is from 2005, a perfect example of the idiocy of our gov't.

Quote:
Led by Monson, North Dakota's Legislature has passed laws to make hemp farming legal — if the U.S. government ever allows it. The laws would require hemp growers to undergo criminal background checks and agree to subject their plants to tests for THC.
Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Montana and West Virginia also have passed hemp-farming bills. U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, introduced such a bill in Congress in June, but it hasn't advanced in the face of opposition by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the White House's anti-drug office.
Growing hemp used to be legal in the USA. During World War II, the government urged farmers to grow it for much-needed rope and textiles. But in 1970, Congress designated hemp — along with marijuana and heroin — as a "Schedule 1" drug under the Controlled Substances Act, making it illegal to grow hemp without a license from the DEA.
Today, the USA is the only developed nation that has not established hemp as a crop, the Congressional Research Service says. Great Britain lifted its ban in 1993; Germany did so in 1996 and Canada followed two years later. The European Union has subsidized hemp production since the 1990s.
USATODAY.com - 'Industrial' hemp support takes root

JOBS JOBS JOBS

Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,646,105 times
''how do ron paul people come off to you? ''

Well, don't agree too much ....but I like 'claudhopper.'

Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,953,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
How do they come off? Like a Deer frozen in headlights.
Says the guy supporting Barack Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections