Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That postponed decision on the pipeline until after the election has got to hurt him with union people over the jobs issue across the country. I also think he's going to rule with the environmentalists, just like in the Gulf but anyone with half a brain knows one of those two voting groups is going to get thrown under the bus after Election Day. I know Canada is ticked off.

VIEW FROM ELSEWHERE: Obama's decision on pipeline irks Canada | The Kennebec Journal, Augusta, ME

Delay means less-friendly fuel for U.S. | Columnists | Opinion | Toronto Sun

Does Romney have another home in Michigan? I know he has one in California and grew up in Michigan? I'm not really sure what his home state is these days or if he just flip flops between houses.
Then labor needs to be ticked at Nebraska Republicans, because that's who got the pipeline rerouted, working hand in hand with environmentalists (that was a first). I'm a native Nebraskan and a R, I own farmland near the Sand Hills, and a good chunk of my family is still there. The pipeline never should have been proposed through the Sand Hills because the water table for the Ogallala aquifer is inches below the surface--the aquifer provides the drinking water for 85% of the state, and all of the water for agricultural irrigation (Nebraska's biggest industry). If you want to be ticked off at the Obama admin, it should be over the state department cooking up a sweet deal with Trans Canada where a firm affiliated with Trans Canada did the initial environmental impact statement and ignored input from other federal agencies who protested the location. The entire, primarily R, state fought it, and Obama only caved once R Governor Heineman called a special session to develop regs so Nebraska could control the process and potentially tie it all up in court until they agreed to reroute the line to a safer area. As far as jobs--the numbers we've heard locally are more in the 2-4 thousand range for temporary positions. The Dakotas and Nebraska have some of the lowest unemployment in the country, ranging from 3.5 - 4.5%. Why should Nebraskans take risks with their primary water source when they're not going to see much benefit from it? This was a stinky deal by the Obama administration, but not for the reasons you think.

http://journalstar.com/news/opinion/...0522ea010.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
As someone who has a home in Macomb, I can tell you this is a rich area and many people here are Republicans.

They lack common sense, courtesy and are rude. In my neighborhood, all I ever saw were McCain/Palin signs (sickening). One guy donated so many times that his entire effin lawn was covered in McCain/Palin signs. I was too scared to put up my Obama sign but when I did, my dad took it down saying he did not want anything damaged by the savage Republicans.

I was truly happy when Obama won and all the McCain/Palin signs came down shamefully.

Thanks for reminding me, Sanrene. And sure maybe Obama may lose Macomb but no Republican will ever win Michigan.

Romney? The man that said let "Let Detroit go bankrupt"? LOL. **** him.

<3 Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
get back to me when you post a poll worth looking at. one county and michigan is suddenly in play? people have too much time on there hands.
COMPLETELY agree.

Michigan go Republican for Romney or any of them nutcases? Never. And some people do have too much time.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Gore didn't carry his home state because of his support for gun control..

Which is why you haven't heard Obama, or the majority of the Democratic party, advocating for more restrictions on our 2nd Amendment rights..

It was more than gun control. Gore and his father were/are not liked in Tennessee. His global warming is very hypocritical to people there who know they don't live 'green' and never have.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
The pipeline never should have been proposed through the Sand Hills because the water table for the Ogallala aquifer is inches below the surface--the aquifer provides the drinking water for 85% of the state, and all of the water for agricultural irrigation (Nebraska's biggest industry).
How about the miles and miles of pipeline that is ALREADY crisscrossing the aquifer?

Old 11-24-2011, 01:19 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How about the miles and miles of pipeline that is ALREADY crisscrossing the aquifer?
The Ogallala aquifer isn't an underground lake--the water is in deep sand. In areas where there's currently pipe over the aquifer, there's a deep layer of concrete like soil over the top of it that would contain or minimize a spill. The route that got shot down went directly through the Nebraska Sand Hills--there's no top layer there. The region is deep sand dunes covered with prairie grass, and the water table is just a few inches below the surface. If you look at a map of existing pipe running through Nebraska, you'll see a huge empty area. That's the Sand Hills. There's no pipe running in that area now, because it would be buried right in the middle of the sand and water. If there was a leak, it would go directly into the water.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Mitt Romney's father George was governor in Michigan and he was the chairman and CEO for American Motors Corporation. So, yes, the family is well know and very well respected in the state. It always says a lot to me about how well their home state likes them. I remember Al Gore couldn't even carry Tennessee...his home state. He and his father are not so well liked there.

I disagree. George Romney might have been popular in his day with the Republicans but wasn't well liked by working class people. And let's not forget that Mitt Romney vehemently opposed helping the auto industry, the very heart of Michigan's economy. People here aren't likely to forget that he wanted to throw so many blue class workers under the bus.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:53 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I disagree. George Romney might have been popular in his day with the Republicans but wasn't well liked by working class people. And let's not forget that Mitt Romney vehemently opposed helping the auto industry, the very heart of Michigan's economy. People here aren't likely to forget that he wanted to throw so many blue class workers under the bus.

I have talked to a lot of 'working class' people from Michigan and most of them have nothing but good things to say about the Romney family overall. I am sure in any state you will have you pros and cons about a family in leadership over the years. I would think the fact that Mitt Romney is polling so well there, would be an indicator that they are well liked though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections