Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM
pth

274 posts, read 459,065 times

Advertisements

sim city tax plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gal from the South View Post
Refer to the 10th amendment. States have a right to tax in whatever way they choose. This has nothing to do with federal taxation.
So, it is okay to ignore that reality that will affect the people? Like I said earlier, only lame business models are designed along the lines, ignoring realities and impact and focusing on a tunnel vision... don't look left or right, march straight on. Really?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times
Gal from the South, didn't you get the memo? The MSM and the establishment is now pushing Newt and you are supposed to follow suit. Cain is so last week. Get over it.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
I don't necessarily think Herman Cain is the best candidate, but I do think he and his plan deserve a better hearing. To wit.

My cell phone bill contained a federal fees (tax) = to 1.08% of the entire (that would include state and local taxes, so you can seee that the effective tax on the product/service is much higher) bill.

My internet bill conytains federal fees (tax) = to 5% of the total (same note per above bill.

My federal tax rate is 15% marginal, 15% (I'm self-employed) payroll tax. Those both disappear under the Cain plan.

I'm not a trained economist, but I do you have to consider any and all of these hidden taxes to get a fair analysis.

Under the Cain plan, these all go away. That almost gets talked about.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 AM

458 posts, read 776,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I don't necessarily think Herman Cain is the best candidate, but I do think he and his plan deserve a better hearing. To wit.

My cell phone bill contained a federal fees (tax) = to 1.08% of the entire (that would include state and local taxes, so you can seee that the effective tax on the product/service is much higher) bill.

My internet bill conytains federal fees (tax) = to 5% of the total (same note per above bill.

My federal tax rate is 15% marginal, 15% (I'm self-employed) payroll tax. Those both disappear under the Cain plan.

I'm not a trained economist, but I do you have to consider any and all of these hidden taxes to get a fair analysis.

Under the Cain plan, these all go away. That almost gets talked about.
If by some miracle Cain turns around his sinking campaign, at 14% according to today's latest poll, and wins the nomination and somehow knocks off Obama there is no way his tax plan will become reality. Too many on both sides don't like it.

Plus there would still have to be some sort of federal tax police to make sure that businesses are complying with the sales or VAT tax collection. When you are talking about close to 20% taxes on items sold the lure of selling things underground becomes a problem.

I much rather see a repeal of the federal tax system and a tariff of foreign goods instead. Let the Chinese and other pay for the right to sell their goods here.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM

993 posts, read 831,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Gal from the South, didn't you get the memo? The MSM and the establishment is now pushing Newt and you are supposed to follow suit. Cain is so last week. Get over it.
I assume that's a joke. I don't let the talking heads do the thinking for me, and more and more Americans are finally seeing the light. The good news is now that the internet and social media are the norm, the media is not our only source of information, and therefore they will be less likely to give new voters meconium aspiration as they try to shove it down their throats.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
I don't disagree with anything you have to say. All I am trying to do is to get the facts of the plan out there for consideration.

There is a reason both sides do not like a plan that leads away from the corrupt sytem we have.

Vat taxes and retail sales taxes are radically different from each other. VAT is multi-layered and taxes at each level of production, all the way through to retail.

I didn't indicate the IRS was going away, nor does Cain. Cain's plan was always interim, transitional to a fair tax, which would do away with the current federal tax as you suggest.

Can't comment about the Chinese tariffs, as I haven't thought to much about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
If by some miracle Cain turns around his sinking campaign, at 14% according to today's latest poll, and wins the nomination and somehow knocks off Obama there is no way his tax plan will become reality. Too many on both sides don't like it.

Plus there would still have to be some sort of federal tax police to make sure that businesses are complying with the sales or VAT tax collection. When you are talking about close to 20% taxes on items sold the lure of selling things underground becomes a problem.

I much rather see a repeal of the federal tax system and a tariff of foreign goods instead. Let the Chinese and other pay for the right to sell their goods here.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:

trying to keep minimum wage low -

When was the last time a CEO went into a board room to fight for you instead of the share holders? - What the heck are you talking about? If the shareholders don't make money, the business closes. Do you not understand that?

Keeping minimum wage low, increasing the working poor, more food stamps, more welfare, more earned income tax credits, etc.

If the shareholders break even, why would the business close? Businesses can go for years and years without shareholders making money.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
cain needs a top 3 finish in iowa. ron paul needs to win iowa.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:28 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
In business, you make sure that you identify the problem and you identify the right problem. And in business you figure out a solution to the problem . You don’t develop a half solution. You don’t develop a safe solution. You develop the solution to the problem. Therein lies the difference between a businessman and a politician. ~ Herman Cain

For those interested in more than a 30-second sound bite about Cain's 9-9-9 plan:

9-9-9: A Discussion with Herman Cain - YouTube
...what's your point? Do you have one? Do you agree? Disagree? Seriously, you created a thread. At least think for yourself and come up with an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections