Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yeah, but since th righties here Love to give those opposed to them advice get used to getting it in return. But hey, don't listen, keep doing what you guys have been doing, and continue to lose.
Obviously you missed 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Yet, you don't think the Democrat party needs to change despite their far left extremist agenda.

Republicans don't need your advice and neither does the country.
I am not a Democrat so I don't give them advice. Hopefully the GOP will listen and we will not make a bad mistake next year. Romney or Huntsman can win. None of the rest are electable. So do you want 4 more years of Obama or do you want Romney? That is the question you have to answer. My answer is Romney.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Purge the Party of the Tea Baggers, other ultra-righties, those using the Republican Party to get elected even thouh they are not Repubs, such as Paul, and then they can take their Party back. But they better do it before they no longer have a Party to take back.
I would not say purge because those people have been in the party for a long time but they need to be moved to the back seat of the party bus and let the adults sit up front. Because if this keeps up, the party will never be able to cobble together enough EC votes to ever win the White House again. What states do these folks think Bachmann or Cain can actually win? They cannot win much of anything outside the southeast. Romney is a proven vote getter in the northeast and can win many states,

Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I am only giving friendly advice and my advice is this: The Republican Party has got to moderate if it is going to be around 10 years from now. If it fails to do so, it will throw away any chance it will ever have of being more than a regional (southeast) party. It will never cobble together enough electoral college votes to capture the Presidency again. I say this as a witness to what happened here. Most people here do not like Harry Reid. He does not represent the views of many Nevadans. His own son Rory ran for Governor here and would not even use his dad's last name. And he still got stomped! The only reason we are stuck with Harry for 6 more years is because the Republicans nominated a candidate that was clearly out of the main stream and way to the right on everything. I could not and will not vote for candidates like Sharron Angle. It appears the Republican Party has not figured out where most of the country is. This is a center right country. It is not a far right country. And if they continue down that path, they are not going to win. On issue after issue whether it is "no tax increases ever", immigration, unions, abortion, the budget and everything else, the GOP is taking extreme positions and the country is simply getting tired of it which is evident in polling. Most people in this country tend to be moderate in their political beliefs. Conservatism does not win anymore than extreme liberalism wins. As I look at the Republican candidates, I see only 2 of the bunch that has a prayer of electoral victory which are Romney and Huntsman. The GOP must decide if it wants to be a conservative minority party or if it wants to win as a moderate party.
So what you are saying is: we need to be one big happy party, the Republicans need to think like Democrats and take everything away from the people, to give to the government, to give back to everyone and make everything equal, is that what you are saying? We are not talking Sharon Angle types, we are talking true conservatives but ones that can see both sides of the issues. They do exist, in fact the majority of Americans consider themsleves conservative or maybe you didn't know this.

Nita

Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
When every white person currently over the age of 50 is dead the GOP for all intents and purposes won't exist either way, regardless of whether or not they try to moderate their approach. But by that point the Democrats will be about as far right as the Republican party currently is.
so you think there are no young Republicans out there? Well obviously you are not around many young people.

Nita

Old 11-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The gay issue is the big problem Republicans have with younger generations. Abortion somewhat but its mostly the gay issue. A Republican who was supportive of same-sex marriage would be much more competitive with the young vote. Unfortunately that would be at the cost of the religious right vote. There really is no easy answer for the GOP, but we will not have a one-party system. If the Republican party becomes a third party, a new party will rise up and take its place.
I agree with you: social issues are very important but I think the Republicans are seeing this as well. I can give you an exmaple: it is family only but it is a start: everyone in our family are Republican, many very conservative and yet, the younger ones are for equal rights for everyone including gay rights, the middle aged one are devided and there are a couple of those over 65 that still have porblems with sexual orientation. This goes for abortion as well, however even the younger ones are inclined to be pro life. We have a foster daughter who is gay. She is a Democrat but fiscally conservative and she has a couple of friends who are lesbians, vegans and still Republicans. I will add, we are not right wing, religious Bible Thumpers. We are, for the most part Christians, but not even all of us are that and the younger members have a lot of Republican friends as well.

Nita

Old 11-23-2011, 02:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
My gosh, I know! They did so poorly in 2010 and that trend continued this year, when they added even more legislative seats and even took over the state houses of VA and MS, something that hadn't happened for 140 years.
My freaking gosh, some people honestly don't live in the real world! Guess 2010 never happened, most be a fiment of our imagination.

The advice given to the Republician Party, better be given to the Democratic Party the same, for they are no better, infact worse.

Statements were made in 2010 loud and clearly.
My perception is no better for the opposite party then my own, i do live in the real world, just feel mine is better alternative.
This democratic administration is taken us way off course, and given us a failing economy. If anyone must change, why don't you try changing this whaco administration.
Honestly both partys must change.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So what you are saying is: we need to be one big happy party, the Republicans need to think like Democrats and take everything away from the people, to give to the government, to give back to everyone and make everything equal, is that what you are saying? We are not talking Sharon Angle types, we are talking true conservatives but ones that can see both sides of the issues. They do exist, in fact the majority of Americans consider themsleves conservative or maybe you didn't know this.

Nita
I consider myself conservative. I am for low taxes and as little as needed regulations. I believe that the basic functions of government should be done by government and most other things should be taken care of by the private sector. If you have read my prior post on here, you would know this already. But I also believe that we need some government and that we should pay for what we need. Many in the GOP have become extreme and, sooner or later, the voters are going to get tired of it. They send Republicans there to govern and solve problems and not to shutter the national parks and kick grandpa off Medicare or tell their daughter that she is prohibited from making decisions about her own body even if she is raped. And all the "Mexican bashing" is not going to help them here in the southwest. I can tell you that. I live here. Sooner rather than later the thousands of Hispanic high school students here in NV that were born in the USA, many to illegal parents, are going to vote and the GOP seems to be working harder to put this state and Arizona and Utah into the blue column than they do trying to compromise a solution to the illegal alien problem. They already did this with California. When Rick Perry calls you extreme, you are extreme. The new Republicans don't seem to understand that we win elections by addition and not subtraction.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so you think there are no young Republicans out there? Well obviously you are not around many young people.

Nita
There are some but not nearly what we need 10 or 20 years from now.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
My freaking gosh, some people honestly don't live in the real world! Guess 2010 never happened, most be a fiment of our imagination.

The advice given to the Republician Party, better be given to the Democratic Party the same, for they are no better, infact worse.

Statements were made in 2010 loud and clearly.
My perception is no better for the opposite party then my own, i do live in the real world, just feel mine is better alternative.
This democratic administration is taken us way off course, and given us a failing economy. If anyone must change, why don't you try changing this whaco administration.
Honestly both partys must change.
Nobody wants Obama and company gone more than me. But if you think Newt, Bachmann and Cain are up to replacing him, you will sadly be mistaken. 2010 was more about the Democrats staying home than it was about Republicans winning. 2012 is going to be a much tougher road because the Democrats are going to come out en masse. They might not like Obama that much but they are not going to concede the presidency without a fight. This is why the primary is so important and why we must nominate a moderate like Romney who CAN win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections