Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times

Advertisements

A new study suggests that conventional wisdom about a Mormon bias in the Republican party could be overstated.
Even among Republican voters who are concerned about Romney's religion, the desire to unseat Obama supersedes qualms they have about a Mormon President.
A Pew Foundation report released late Tuesday found that 88 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning voters say they are either unaware of Romney's religion or it will make no difference in how they vote.

The data shows that 44 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning voters say Romney's religion won't impact their vote. Another 44 percent said they were unaware of his faith. These results seem to suggest that for the vast majority of Republican voters religion is essentially a non-issue.

"The survey results relflect the mood of the electorate," says Matt Bowman, a professor of religion at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia said. "Voters in this cycle are more concerned with economic issues."

For most Republican voters, Mitt Romney's faith is not an issue | Deseret News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
A new study suggests that conventional wisdom about a Mormon bias in the Republican party could be overstated.
Even among Republican voters who are concerned about Romney's religion, the desire to unseat Obama supersedes qualms they have about a Mormon President.
I have a hard time believing that the Christian Right doesn't have an issue with this.

Last edited by Savoir Faire; 11-23-2011 at 12:19 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,395 times
Only 44% of repubs say the Mormon thing won't effect their vote? Um, that doesn't sound very encouraging for any Mormon running for national office in a Republican primary. And since most Republicans are evangelical bible-thumping loons, it is no surprise they view other cults as competitors. And for the record, I'm an atheist and I think Christianity, Islam, Momons and ALL religions are wacky cults, so I don't single out Mormonism for it's peculiar views.

I also support Jon Hunstman, but I don't think he's much of a practicing Moron. Mitt "Flip Flop" Romney was an actual bishop in that cult and doesn't drink alcohol, or smoke, or drink caffeine so it's obvious he believes in that nonsense.

And also, the Desert News is a Mormon rag.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-23-2011 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 AM

A full 88% said it would not impact their vote with 44% not even aware of it and to 44% it doesn't matter.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-23-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I do not have an issue with this nor should anyone else, there are a lot of Christian Hypocrites, sorry but the truth sometimes hurts.
Religion should not be an issue, i know people who are very spirtual, but don't go to church, are respectful, caring, considerate, good hearted, generous people.

I know people who go to Church, really for show, after that i guess they think any thing does go.

Religion should be taken out of the equation. Has nothing to do with qualities of or future President, no matter who he or she is.

His faith is not an issue with me, just as when people say Obama is a Muslim, how many of you really care if he is or is not.
The issues at hand are what is important to this Nation, and getting us back on our feet once again. We need a President who does have conviction and is a very strong leader.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
The data shows that 44 percent of Republican and Republican-leaning voters say Romney's religion won't impact their vote. Another 44 percent said they were unaware of his faith.
Ahh, here lies the catch. Take out Republican leaning and what would the percentage be. Would you describe the Christian Right as republican leaning? Does Romney have their support, does he need it?

Old 11-23-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I do not have an issue with this nor should anyone else, there are a lot of Christian Hypocrites, sorry but the truth sometimes hurts.
Religion should not be an issue, i know people who are very spirtual, but don't go to church, are respectful, caring, considerate, good hearted, generous people.

I know people who go to Church, really for show, after that i guess they think any thing does go.

Religion should be taken out of the equation. Has nothing to do with qualities of or future President, no matter who he or she is.

His faith is not an issue with me, just as when people say Obama is a Muslim, how many of you really care if he is or is not.
The issues at hand are what is important to this Nation, and getting us back on our feet once again. We need a President who does have conviction and is a very strong leader.

I totally agree. I think religion has become way too interweaved into the Republican party. I am a person of faith and it is important to me, but I don't think it should be so heavily involved in politics.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Ahh, here lies the catch. Take out Republican leaning and what would the percentage be. Would you describe the Christian Right as republican leaning? Does Romney have their support, does he need it?

I think you are splitting hairs here. There is definitely a percentage of evengelicals that have a problem with it. Some polls have been less favorable in the past. This poll more closely reflects what I see and hear though. I live in the Bible belt where 60 to 70% of people (maybe even higher) are evangelicals and I just don't see much of this anti-Mormon attitude.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,032 times
Quote:
It would be good for people who are not very well read on other religions and tend to make bigoted judgements from misinformation to gain more knowledge. Specials on Mormonism might be a good thing in a country where people tend to fear things they know nothing about.
Won't be good for nominee of Republican Party, Mitt Romney, I can guarantee that. And the 'powerbrokers' of the party realize a candidate so controversal is a big, bad RISK to win the General next November!

And that is one major reason...they probably will veto Mitt!?

Quote: Chuck Colson, a former Nixon White House official who went to prison for his role in the Watergate scandal and is now head of Prison Fellowship Ministries, wrote on Oct. 17: "Is the Mormon faith Christian? No. It is not. There are significant and un-reconciled doctrinal differences between Mormonism and Christianity, like the sole sufficiency of Christ and the exclusivity of the Bible."

Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Won't be good for nominee of Republican Party, Mitt Romney, I can guarantee that. And the 'powerbrokers' of the party realize a candidate so controversal is a big, bad RISK to win the General next November!

And that is one major reason...they probably will veto Mitt!?

Quote: Chuck Colson, a former Nixon White House official who went to prison for his role in the Watergate scandal and is now head of Prison Fellowship Ministries, wrote on Oct. 17: "Is the Mormon faith Christian? No. It is not. There are significant and un-reconciled doctrinal differences between Mormonism and Christianity, like the sole sufficiency of Christ and the exclusivity of the Bible."

He went to prison for his role in Watergate and you are quoting him for his authority on Christianity...that's hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections