Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

William Kristol | The Weekly Standard

Bill Kristol as I recall was lobbying for Paul Ryan to run for president. Now like everybody else on the conservative side, he is worried about the train wreck of a GOP field. Kristol suggests it is time for some out-of-the box thinking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kristol
the state of the race is disheartening to Republicans, a late January entry by another candidate isn’t out of the question, either. Couldn’t Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio win the January 31 Florida primary as a write-in candidate in such circumstances?
Jeb Bush I don't think is in the cards. Whether he would make a good candidate or not, the fact is that due to the dumbed-down nature of the electorate, the overwhelming cry would be 'not another Bush.' But Rubio I think could work. And there are others out there too. Maybe Allen West, Bobby Jindal, etc.

I don't ever remember anything like that happening before. I do remember that in my state (WA) there was a US House member elected in 1994 after winning her primary on the basis of a write-in campaign. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Bill Kristol as I recall was lobbying for Paul Ryan to run for president. Now like everybody else on the conservative side, he is worried about the train wreck of a GOP field. Kristol suggests it is time for some out-of-the box thinking:

Jeb Bush I don't think is in the cards. Whether he would make a good candidate or not, the fact is that due to the dumbed-down nature of the electorate, the overwhelming cry would be 'not another Bush.' But Rubio I think could work. And there are others out there too. Maybe Allen West, Bobby Jindal, etc.

I don't ever remember anything like that happening before. I do remember that in my state (WA) there was a US House member elected in 1994 after winning her primary on the basis of a write-in campaign. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
This is about as likely as Hillary running against Obama. I used to love Bill Kristol, but lately he has started to drive me nuts, and I am not the only one.

Jeb Bush, certainly not now: Rubio, too new, less experience that Obama had and we know what we got 3 years ago: Jindal, I don't think so...Allen West, not now.

Nita

Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Bill Kristol has become a bit of an idiot lately. He is suffering from the Dick Morris syndrome...whatever he says or implies or thinks...the opposite usually occurs.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Lately? Shoot, his entire career is built around being Irving's idiot son.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:

Paul Ryan was only one of many (Kristol is part of the inside the beltway Republican Machine) and Rubio doesn't even have enough experience to be Vice President, nevermind President. What makes Paul Ryan, with zero executive experience, any more qualified to be President than Obama in 2008? Because he has ideas? You have ideas. I have ideas. Are we qualified to be President?

You know that expression: "Those that can; do. Those that can't; teach."
Well to paraphrase, those that can do; govern, those that can't work on Capitol Hill.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

You know that expression: "Those that can; do. Those that can't; teach."
I think you got one word wrong. It's: ''Those who can, do. Those who can't, talk.''

Old 11-29-2011, 11:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
If Rubio were to run in 2012 he arguably would have more experience on his resume than Obama in 2008:

Obama 2008/ Rubio 2012
age 47 /41
education law degree/ law degree
job experience slim /none
pol experience 7 yrs, IL state sen/ 10 yrs. Fl state house (speaker since 2006)
04-08, US Sen /10-12 US Senate

Old 11-29-2011, 11:23 PM

865 posts, read 676,046 times
Quote:
If Rubio were to run in 2012 he arguably would have more experience on his resume than Obama in 2008:

Obama 2008 Rubio 2012
age 47 41
education law degree law degree
job experience slim none
pol experience 7 yrs, IL state sen 10 yrs. Fl state house (speaker since 2006)
04-08, US Sen 10-12 US Senate
It doesn't look too bright for either. LOL

Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Rubio's got no future outside Florida. He's way too mired in local corruption.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:

Obama 2008/ Rubio 2012
age 47 /41
education law degree/ law degree
job experience slim /none
pol experience 7 yrs, IL state sen/ 10 yrs. Fl state house (speaker since 2006)
04-08, US Sen /10-12 US Senate
And where is his executive experience? What has he ever run that demonstrates he could run a country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections