Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times

Advertisements

Nice catch. Yes, his work as a doctor was just a cover for his real job.

I meant to type kook. Stupid muscle memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
If it were 1950, maybe, 2012, definitely not. His wacky followers are hardcore though.
Would you like to explain to me how you know that I am "wacky" clearly you know me very well...so go ahead.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:51 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I have heard several claim that Ron Paul has cross over appeal. I'm a Liberal and he doesn't appeal to me at all. Are there other Liberals out there supporting him? Can you please stand up and be counted...

Or can we just put this canard to bed...
Not with me, or anyone else I know center or left of center. His main problem right now is he has to win over the Repubs first and he is not doing it.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
I'm about as conservative as a Democrat gets.
I think an Obama-Paul contest would be the best for the country; for sure, it would settle much of the lingering question as to whether the United States has become a center-left country or remains center-right.
I also think that Paul's consistent record is a better conservative deal than the rest of the field, and from what I've seen, Dr. Paul can debate and express his points well. The Presidential debates would more likely be philosophical than the lightweight back and forth that we have seen too much in the past elections.

Newt's past history, and his pompous style will hurt him if he becomes nominated, Newt will become a big plate of hash and eggs for Obama and the Democrats. Obama will slice and dice Gingrich 6 ways from Sunday in a debate- Newt can't keep his cool. Paul, on the other hand, can. And Paul can stay on point.

I also think that Paul has more potential to capture the undecided and disappointed 2008 voters, but he'll have to work on them hard to accomplish it. More than anything, those leaning liberal are just waiting for the conservatives to frame the upcoming national debate.

The conservative way of trying to attach Obama to every little thing that's going on in the government has caused a lot of quiet resolve among any voter who leans toward progressivism in the least degree. It is to the point now that, whenever some dolt brings up Obama's 57 state slip, or mentions a teleprompter again, another undecided turns toward voting for Obama. The cheap shots wore out months ago. What voters want to hear from conservatives are plans and solutions, not bone-headed opposition and negativity. Bush and Palin are still powerful shadows that shade all conservative candidates- most of the country deeply disliked both. A winning conservative is going to have to come across as a positive and happy political warrior, not a negative surly one.

In the end, the fact is: Even with Obama's low ratings right now, he still has the largest solid support percentage of any candidate. It is always twice as much as any Republican at this point. Unless the Repubs can nominate someone who can gain a solid 15-20 points in the polls and keep them, Obama will win re-election. I see the only Repub candidates who are potentially attractive to liberal leaning voters are Romney, Paul and Huntsman.

I'm waiting to see how it all develops, but so far, I'm still with Obama. And I'll stick unless the Repubs have a candidate who is willing to actually do something actively to address the political divide. Voters are sick and tired of the Republican "No! Hell, No!" that has been the party's mantra since 2008.

Last edited by banjomike; 12-04-2011 at 01:54 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 03:16 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
If it were 1950, maybe, 2012, definitely not. His wacky followers are hardcore though.
Yea Freedom and Liberty sure are wacky aren't they? Many lost their lives fighting a revolution over that "wacky" idea.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ron has crossover appeal to any Democrats that aren't part of the Loony Left like most liberals on CD. Ron also doesn't have appeal to the Loony Right, so basically only the fringe Right and Left don't like Ron Paul. These are where you'll find a lot of single issue voters. A Loony Leftist would like his stance on ending the wars and believe him, but they still wouildn't vote for him because he wants to shrink the federal government. A Loony Right person would love his small government stance and believe him but they would not vote for him because he doesn't want to nuke Muslims into extinction. Paul does better with moderates and independents, and they win elections.

I didn't know Ron Paul was a chef
You nailed it. That's it, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
No appeal to me at all, and I am pretty centrist. The main reason is that axing a bunch of federal programs would be devastating for our economy. Also, he is way too old.
As for destroying the country by cutting out all those programs, if you LISTEN to the guy, he isn't going to do it overnight, it's going to be a slow transition so that it DOESN'T destroy the country.

Seriously, people, listen to the actual politician, not the media!

And the age thing is just ridiculous.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,764 times
Regardless of whom you may finally vote for, I would say that it would be in the self-interest of liberals themselves, to force a debate between Obama and Ron Paul to bring up the issues which are actually key liberal/progressive agendas and of which some of them Obama himself once promised, but has long since ignored or forgotten.

1) Our insane foreign policy and endless wars.

2) The Wall Street bailouts.

3) Our constant erosion of civil liberties after 9/11 (Patriot Act, TSA, NDAA etc.).

4) War on Drugs.

5) Crony capitalism.

...and so on. Ron Paul is light years more progressive than Obama on any and all of these issues.

I would also strongly encourage liberals and progressives to watch this video:

War Is Better Than Ron Paul, Say (Many) Progressives - YouTube

If you agree with the idea, switch parties for the GOP primary for your state if you have to, to vote for Ron Paul, but get him to run against Obama! That'll be the debate of a lifetime.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
Does Ron Paul have Cross Over Appeal?
Oh, heck no. Not a chance in hades obama supporters would EVER vote for Paul.

This is just a little meme they like to push.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh, heck no. Not a chance in hades obama supporters would EVER vote for Paul.

This is just a little meme they like to push.
Me - Obama supporter from 2008 supporting Ron Paul in 2012 because Obama turned out to be Bush on steroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections