Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times

Advertisements

AG Eric Holder announced today that the Justice Department will conduct a "tough and thorough" review of the Voter ID laws, to see if they violate the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

One aspect DOJ will be pursuing is to see whether or not laws restricting voting rights to persons with state-issued ID disproportionally impacts people by race or age group, and are thus discriminatory.

THIS is EXCELLENT news! Hopefully, we'll see a dozen or so injunctions handed out before next fall!

(Oh, BTW- Sorry Wingers, Holder didn't say anything about stepping down anytime soon! )

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/us...g-laws.html?hp

Last edited by Gurbie; 12-13-2011 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

(Oh, BTW- Sorry Wingers, Holder didn't say anything about stepping down anytime soon! )

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/us...g-laws.html?hp
May not be his choice.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
I think this whole issue is so silly to even be questioning it. What I cannot believe is that these states are just now introducing the requirement of a photo id to vote. In my state, we have had this requirement for years...ever since I first started voting. Of course, you should present a photo id to vote. It's sort of a no brainer...unless you are trying to cheat, then it does get sticky.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
BATFE (under the DOJ) makes me undergo a background check where I must show a photo ID as part of the process in order to purchase a firearm from a retailer while it simultaneously violates the law and sells firearms to known felons with the intent to take the illegally purchased firearms across the border to Mexico.

Yet, the DOJ wants to stop laws requiring voter ID and does not think people should be complled to prove they are who they claim to be when voting.

Anyone see hypocrisy in action? Anyone see corruption on the part of the DOJ time after time after time?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:20 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
MOgal you stole my thunder. Is Holder going to look into whether background checks (not just ID checks) for exercising of 2nd Amendment rights are racist? Don't 'holder' your breath (sorry). Democrats since the 1990's have promulgated the notion that we've gotta show ID to buy even a pack of smokes. Under Clinton, the FDA was for a while even running stings on grocery clerks to ensure it, until states took back that cash cow. With Democrats, it's ID this ID that, ID all the time. Now all the sudden ID checks are racist? LOL.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:39 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
BATFE (under the DOJ) makes me undergo a background check where I must show a photo ID as part of the process in order to purchase a firearm from a retailer while it simultaneously violates the law and sells firearms to known felons with the intent to take the illegally purchased firearms across the border to Mexico.

Yet, the DOJ wants to stop laws requiring voter ID and does not think people should be complled to prove they are who they claim to be when voting.

Anyone see hypocrisy in action? Anyone see corruption on the part of the DOJ time after time after time?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
I think each state should have a voter ID card plan and simple no card NO VOTE!
After which all data can be reviewed online and I see no reason votes need to be secret.
I want to make sure these DIEBOLD systems aren't been screwed with.
Also the person gets a printed out paper showing WHO they voted for.
If the government is going to spend money let it atleast secure the voting process.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:59 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Voting is not a right. It is a priviledge.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I think this whole issue is so silly to even be questioning it. What I cannot believe is that these states are just now introducing the requirement of a photo id to vote. In my state, we have had this requirement for years...ever since I first started voting. Of course, you should present a photo id to vote. It's sort of a no brainer...unless you are trying to cheat, then it does get sticky.
There is nothing silly about the party in power attempting to disenfranchise eligable voters from the other party. It is a tactic as old as the Jim Crow South.

The new Voter ID laws being passed in the Republican-controlled states are part of a legislative package produced by ALEC, the American Legislative Executive Council, a conservative, corporate-friendly think tank that sends "wish list" pre-packaged legislation to GOP statehouses.

The Voter ID laws will stop an estimated 5-6 million otherwise eligible people from voting, to prevent "fraudulent voting", that is considered very rare . The vast majority will be students, the elderly, inner-city residents, etc. The GOP has done the math- these are people most likely to vote Democrat.

Do you think it is a coincidence that, the first national election after we elect a black president, all of a sudden "voter ID" is a big problem in this country, requiring corrective laws be put in action by Republican legislatures?

Neither does Holder, and he's going to do something about it!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
May not be his choice.
Your link is MIA (Or was that just wishful thinking? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections