Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:59 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I just see Romney's buddies benefiting, just like Clinton's buddies did, Bush's buddies did and Obama's buddies are.

Who is lobbying Ron Paul? Who are Ron Paul's buddies... We the frigg'n people, that's who! Not the fascist corporations!
Oh sure. Romney will reward many people -- to the victor goes the spoils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM

458 posts, read 776,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The reality is setting in: Gingrich would be badly trounced by Obama. The only hope, and it is faint at best, for Republicans is with Romney. It'll still be a good race coming up as the southern vote is more likely to be about principle than pragmatism and that will keep Gingrich alive. But in the end, the party bosses will prevail, the TeaNewtons will be kicked to the curb, and Mitt will head the ticket.
Not sure why you would say Romney has a faint chance. All the approval data about Obama is near the bottom of any sitting president in their 3rd year. The economy sucks. The election is going to be about how things are and how good a job Obama is doing. Obama's chances are slim unless the economic numbers rebound next year.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The reality is setting in: Gingrich would be badly trounced by Obama. The only hope, and it is faint at best, for Republicans is with Romney. It'll still be a good race coming up as the southern vote is more likely to be about principle than pragmatism and that will keep Gingrich alive. But in the end, the party bosses will prevail, the TeaNewtons will be kicked to the curb, and Mitt will head the ticket.
I wonder about this. Look what happened 4 years ago in S. Carolina. At this time Huckabee was surging and challenging Thompson and Guiliani for the lead in s. Carolina. McCain was barely a blip. Fast forward a few weeks and McCain wins because of the more 'moderate' elderly vote in Myrtle Beach and other coastal communities and the rest is history.

Romney has an advantage with organization and money right now that Gingrich does not. Plus, given the proportional amount of delegates awarded for all contests up to April 1, no one can run away with the contest but Romney can still lose states like S Carolina or Georgia or even Florida but as long as he places a strong second, he still could come out well.

IF (and this is still up in the air - I could still see Paul winning Iowa) Romney were to win Iowa and then win NH one week later, major deflation would be taken out of the Gingrich surge and others as well. In fact, it may cause all but Gingrich and possibly Paul to drop out of the race.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:09 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
And the funny thing is that he will be no different from Obama.

People will soon realize that this whole Republican/Democrat system is a scam.
I think Romney will be nothing like Obama.

One has to consider that in Massachusetts, Romney was a Republican governor that had to work with a state legislature that was about 80% Democrat. Much as we see with Democrat governors in highly Republican states, out of necessity Romney adapted to his constituency and environment.

He's got two huge strikes against him from the Conservative point of view:
1.) He once claimed to be pro-abortion and now he's anti-abortion.
2.) He enacted socialized health care in Massachusetts.

For the first point, I can't really say for certain whether he was ever truly pro-abortion, but he's not going to be going back to belief because he isn't in Massachusetts anymore.

For the second point, government run health care may or may not have been a worthwhile venture. I can say this: It's pretty standard practice in the USA for things like that to be beta tested (in effect) at the state level. Then the federal government can decide if it's worthwhile instituting it nationally. That's been the best approach for most of our nation's history, but for whatever reason Barrack Obama never bothered to ask him how it went and what Romney would have done differently. In other words, Obama never bothered to try to debug the beta version, he just rewrote the whole thing and slammed it through Congress.

Romney says that his system and Obama's are vastly different and that there are a number of things he'd do differently if he had it to do over again. He also vetoed large portions of that program only to have his veto overridden by an overwhelmingly Democrat heavy legislature.

Now the first issue is a major sticking point for me. It worries me that he has not been consistent on an issue that is so important to me: The protection and preservation of life. It is at least encouraging to consider that his religion is strongly anti-abortion. Also, he has every reason to stay consistent on this issue from now on because Washington DC ain't Massachusetts. All factors considered I think Romney will be a strong advocate for the Pro Life movement.

As far as Obamacare goes, he says he wants to repeal it and get rid of it and I think he will. I do see the need for something to cover the many millions of uninsured, so Obamacare is not as big of a deal to me. Obama just approached the issue in all sorts of wrong ways. Eliminate everything driving up the costs of health care first, then worry about enacting something to cover the uninsured. And it's probably better to do that sort of thing at a State government level anyways.

I seriously doubt that Romney runs up $6.5 trillion in additional debt. I think he'll actually do something about rebuilding the middle class, encouraging economic growth and all the other things that Obama absolutely failed to do. Obama an Romney are only similar on those two issues, and even on those they are very different. Romney is in favor of a balanced budget amendment, fiscal conservative government and a long list of other very Republican things.

I don't mind him being a Moderate because I don't really believe in either party anyways. For me, the ability to think outside the box of the GOP party line is actually a very good thing.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:17 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I think Romney will be nothing like Obama.

One has to consider that in Massachusetts, Romney was a Republican governor that had to work with a state legislature that was about 80% Democrat. Much as we see with Democrat governors in highly Republican states, out of necessity Romney adapted to his constituency and environment.

So, he had to be very Progressive and wear an R.

We have seen this before and the USA ended up hating him in the end, and gave us Obama.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, he had to be very Progressive and wear an R.

We have seen this before and the USA ended up hating him in the end, and gave us Obama.
My point is that Mitt Romney is not Barrack Obama nor is he anything close to resembling Barrack Obama. He also isn't anything like George W Bush. I'm terrified for the future of our country if Obama gets another four years. He's already made it quite clear that he won't do anything different. That means a lot more debt and lot more failed policies.

Romney is not my first choice. Ron Paul is. Huntsman is a close second. But I can't help but support Romney over Gingrich if those are my only two choices. Gingrich already has a pre-assassinated character and an eye-popping scandalous past that is already known. He can't beat Obama because he's just too controversial and too tainted.

I won't mind if this thing turns into a two horse race between Ron Paul and Mitt Romney. Both stand a very good chance of winning the White House. Paul I can really and truly believe in. Romney will at least be vastly better than Obama.

Huntsman is the only other guy that would really stand a chance in the GE and we can all see that ain't happening.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
I'm surprised Romney pulled ahead, because the likely caucus goers in Iowa are hard right social conservatives. Interesting...

Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
its all the right wing radio and people like ann coulter and fox news promoting romney its no surprise.

Fox News is not promoting Romney in the least, it is quite the opposite.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I knew it all along, Romney will be the eventual nominee and probably win the WH.

At least we will have a moderate North Easterner in the WH and thankfully no more southerners.
There's not an announced Republican candidate that can beat Obama in the general election next year. He'll have his second-term unless there's a late-comer that's heads and shoulders above the current field.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Fox News is not promoting Romney in the least, it is quite the opposite.
Tend to agree, if anyone's being promoted it's Newt (not working out too well) or even Bachmann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections