U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:53 AM

11,024 posts, read 6,453,268 times

Advertisements

Paul is a libertarian, he will probably hurt Obama just as much as the Republican nominee if he runs. People need to stop fearing independent runs so much. If we didn't have so many party hacks in this country then our country would be in a much better position than it is right now. If the nominee sucks so much that he can't draw enough votes from his party and from independents then he doesn't deserve to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM

740 posts, read 1,758,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney has a much better chance of winning the general election than Ron Paul.
It you repeat this enough times, it will magically happen!!

It is threads like this that tell me that our boy Ron Paul is a true threat. Loving it, keep it up!!!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,427,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Anybody here remember old Ross Perot? Yep, the old boy that cinched re-election for Bill Clinton by running his third party candidacy in 1996. Old fool drew enough votes from Bob Dole to elect Clinton. Now we have another getting ready to do the same thing. He can't get the nomination and after promising he wouldn't make Obama automatic a month ago is keeping his options open for just such a trick.

Ok, the man is Ron Paul and after hearing him talk about foreign policy the other night I fear him as president but more as the man to keep whoever gets the nomination from the Republicans from winning, automatically. I heard him say today that he is keeping things open just in case. Will he actually make Obama the newly elected President? How much money will the Dems pay him to do such a thing.

I remember when candidates said we are enemies until the nomination is over and then we draw together. That is what I want from Paul now. He may force me to vote for Romney, who I don't want either, in an attempt to elect him.
You needn't get so worked up about it. You're in a safely RED state. Your vote (just like mine) doesn't really count like it would in a swing state. Perot ran in 1992, not 1996. Bob Dole was a very wooden candidate, even more so that Al Gore.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:35 AM

14,969 posts, read 14,174,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You needn't get so worked up about it. You're in a safely RED state. Your vote (just like mine) doesn't really count like it would in a swing state. Perot ran in 1992, not 1996. Bob Dole was a very wooden candidate, even more so that Al Gore.
Perot ran in both years, but he was a much more serious candidate in 1992 and got a lot more votes in 1992.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM

14,969 posts, read 14,174,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
It you repeat this enough times, it will magically happen!!

It is threads like this that tell me that our boy Ron Paul is a true threat. Loving it, keep it up!!!
Look at the polls.

Romney is competitive with Obama. NONE of the other GOP candidates, including your idol Ron Paul, are.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Perot ran in both years, but he was a much more serious candidate in 1992 and got a lot more votes in 1992.
thanks, I just wiki'd it and was about to edit my previous post. The article said that he got a lot less votes in 96 because he was excluded from the Presidential debates.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 AM

304 posts, read 353,295 times
Yes, I'll still vote for Ron Paul if he doesn't win the GOP nomination and runs 3rd Party. Yes, I remember Ross Perot and voted for him. I also wanted Alan Keyes. I didn't want Bush or McCain. I could not bring myself to vote for McCain even holding my nose. There are a lot of us who consider ourselves fiscal conservatives who got sick and tired of the GOP acting like fiscal liberals and joined up with the Tea Party. This has nothing to do with social conservatism and everything to do with fiscal conservatism and our freedoms.

Ron Paul's foreign policy doesn't scare me nearly as much as my own government scares me. If Iran was such a huge problem, why did the Feds let 28 or 29 illegal alien Iranians who crossed our southern border free? Do they know where they are now? Nope, because they never showed up for their immigration hearings. This happened under both the Bush and the Obama administration. Two sides of the same coin. People are fed up with being fed information that makes no sense.

So yeah, it will be bad if Obama gets re-elected. But how much worse will it be if anyone other than Paul or maybe Huntsman gets elected? Just more of the same. We are being played, and losing more and more of our freedoms because of it. Why do you think approval ratings for Congress are so low? People are sick and tired of it.

If Hamas and Hezbolah both have training camps in Mexico just waiting for the opportunity to come across our southern border to destroy us, why isn't our southern border secure? Why is our government using this argument about how bad Iran and terrorism is, but then does nothing to protect us from it? This info about Iran is being racheted up just as Iraq is winding down. Why? After 10 years, why now? As I said, the governments job is to protect us and they aren't doing it. Those dots just aren't connecting. Yes, I'll be voting Ron Paul because at this point I believe he will protect us more than anyone else.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Personally I hope Ron Paul DOES run on a 3rd party ticket.....and here's why;

1. we need to get away from the idea that there are only democrats and republicans. The government we currently have needs to be re-vamped. It's no longer FOR THE PEOPLE...it's FOR THE POLITICIANS and whatever $$ they can line their pockets with.

Why should we limit ourselves to only 2 choices?? It is better for the PEOPLE to have another choice and, in a way...it puts the dumbass democrats and the equally stupid republicans on alert that WE ARE WATCHING. What it lets them know is that they need to represent US..the ones who voted them in...because there ARE other choices.

2. I think if Ron Paul were to run and got even 20% of the vote, it would put Washington on notice that they are no longer dealing with a herd of SHEEP who aren't paying attention and just blindly following along.

Not only that, but Ron Paul has some GREAT ideas, and the other 2 parties who seem to think that it will be business as usual....will HAVE to take notice that there is growing dissent amongst the electorate.

Following the constitution is not a bad thing. Limiting government and stopping them from taxing or regulating us to death is not a bad thing. Minding our own business in the world and taking care of HOME first is not a bad thing....and the rest of the nitwits running presidential campaigns need to pay attention to that.

I think Ron Paul would take from both parties....especially independents, and those who want a new direction and are sick and tired of the same old same old. I think Ron Paul as a thrid party candidate is GOOD FOR AMERICA, and I think he echoes the sentiment of MILLIONS of Americans. I may not agree with everything he has to say...but I DO trust him, and I DO believe he is not your average politico. He is a serious...sincere man, and all need to listen to what he has to say.
You're right about that!! Obama is Republican LITE, except that he's not hating on gays most of the time like the Repugs. Why is the Wall St crowd not in prison? why are we still torturing and still living under the ridiculous Patriot Act? Why are we still in two wars? Why are Medicare Advantage plans still being overfunded? Ron Paul at least has some great ideas to ponder. Destroy the Federal Reserve. Stop being the world's policemen, etc.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:56 AM

304 posts, read 353,295 times
Not only are we still living under the Patriot Act, the recently passed NDAA SB1867 Sections 1031 and 1032 continues to relieve US citizens of the writ of Habeas Corpus, just as long as the "War on Terror" is still in place mind you.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:25 PM

29,289 posts, read 39,611,449 times
Paul certainly did not rule it out on Leno. A lot of why Paul runs is to get his ideas out there for consideration and debate. He knows he can't win even if his supporters don't get that reality. This is Paul's last hurrah, the last chance to be heard given his age. I would not be the least surprised to see him run, just so that he can be in the news and the debates and try to sell his thoughts to America. It beats trying to do it with books that only reach the choir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections