U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:38 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I can't decide. Paul, Bachman or Newt??? A nut, an nut or a nut.
They sure are a bunch of "mixed party nuts" for sure. I think Reagan is even rolling in his grave with these characters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 05:06 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,856,705 times
Default Paul vs. Obama: how would you vote?

Obama

But I like Paul more than any of the other GOP hopefuls.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 AM

740 posts, read 1,758,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Personally I think its done tanking...meaning that the drastic downward spiral is complete...the problem is that we have hit the bottom and have no plan in place to begin even the slightest improvement. So dont look for a bigger drop just to support Paul, instead realize that things just are not going to get better without implementation of some of the ideas he proposes. Things might still get slowly worse, but I dont think even more tanking is in order. Just my personal opinion though.
No, I personally believe we are far from hitting bottom. The only reason it seems that way is a combination of the MSM telling us it is so, and having the USD being the world currency combined with problems in Europe. Once Europe officially implodes and people realize FIAT simply does not work, focus will once again be directed at the US and that is where our downward spiral will continue.

We have seen nothing yet. Afterall, we are still 15 trillion in debt, and US debt is now officially 100% of GDP. Things will not magically get better. Am I right?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,537,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
No, I personally believe we are far from hitting bottom. The only reason it seems that way is a combination of the MSM telling us it is so, and having the USD being the world currency combined with problems in Europe. Once Europe officially implodes and people realize FIAT simply does not work, focus will once again be directed at the US and that is where our downward spiral will continue.

We have seen nothing yet. Afterall, we are still 15 trillion in debt, and US debt is now officially 100% of GDP. Things will not magically get better. Am I right?
You are right. We ain't seen nothing yet. The recession (bust) should play out in its entirety to compensate for the boom which occurred, so that the malinvestments can be purged from the books. But because the government and the Federal Reserve have been interfering with the recession by stimulus and QEs, the recession just got prolonged.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM

11,294 posts, read 5,917,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post

No, I'm not calling for "magically better" just not significantly worse...slightly worse is always possible....but my opinion is just that we are near a bottom and will unfortunately be here for a long time to come...maybe it is the "new normal" although I hate that term.

I also dont discount the fact that you could be right about it getting worse, its a valid opinion, I just dont see the odds of that being as likely as what I mentioned above. Either way I think we both agree that things arent good.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 AM

1,058 posts, read 974,501 times
I would consider Paul more than any of the other GOP retreads. However, I am kind of sick of how Congress has become this game of chicken lately. I fear that with Paul's no compromises ever attitude that this would lead to gridlock rather than change.

That being said Obama is a lousy negotiator which has led to its own form of gridlock as well.

So I guess at this point I am undecided. I would really love to see a debate between Paul and Obama and see their different visions clash.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 AM

1,946 posts, read 1,537,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I would consider Paul more than any of the other GOP retreads. However, I am kind of sick of how Congress has become this game of chicken lately. I fear that with Paul's no compromises ever attitude that this would lead to gridlock rather than change.

That being said Obama is a lousy negotiator which has led to its own form of gridlock as well.

So I guess at this point I am undecided. I would really love to see a debate between Paul and Obama and see their different visions clash.
Because Paul stands for principles more than party, he would have no issues crossing party lines and forming coalitions to get things done. He has even worked with people from other end of the aisle like Tammy Baldwin, Dennis Kucinich, Barney Frank etc, on things they can agree with, although they might differ on other issues. That's how you get things done without compromising your values. Also, don't underestimate his veto power as a President. When the Congress knows where he stands and knows he won't bend, they will do a better job of authoring bills which adhere to the Constitution. The Congress is running amuck with laws and legislation now because they know that Obama, who doesn't care about the Constitution himself, is not going to veto them, at least on Constitutional grounds.

If you want to see a Paul vs. Obama debate, you need to register Republican and vote for Paul in your state's GOP Primary.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,928,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Diplomacy with terrorists has never worked, and RP's insistence that if we just use diplomacy when dealing with terrorists is dangerous nonsense. It's that simple. He's naive and doesn't understand that Islamofascism is 1) a threat and 2) it won't go away no matter how nice we are to Islamofascists. The only way to deal with terrorists is to find them and kill them. Paul doesn't get it and he never will because he's too old and rigid to admit he's wrong.
I don't think you understand, the reason there are terrorists wanting to kill us, is because of our failed foriegn policies of the past, intervening and occupiying nations, Ron Paul gets it! I will vote for Paul.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,817,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't think you understand, the reason there are terrorists wanting to kill us, is because of our failed foriegn policies of the past, intervening and occupiying nations, Ron Paul gets it! I will vote for Paul.
He gets it, but we're talking at least a century or so too late. It is his solutions that are questionable, formulated for the perfect world where a flip of a switch gets it done.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 AM

8,006 posts, read 4,173,338 times
Four years of absolute proof that borrowing like mad and spending like mad doesn't help (unless you're trying to get into the Guinness Book of World Records ad the biggest borrowing spree in human history) vs the polar opposite approach of small government, paying down the debt and common sense spending.

We already tried Obama's way. It failed spectacularly. How about we give Paul a shot at fixing this broken nation?

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 12-20-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or