U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:38 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,384,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
King James Bible : Proverbs 14:12
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Exactly, and its called war ... It is natural instinct for men to think they can just bully and brutalize people who are weaker than they are and exploit others weaknesses as opportunities to take advantage of in order to further their own agendas.

Its natural animal carnal instinct to want to kill your enemies instead of longsuffering them and out of love for life seeking to overcome evil with good and to make your enemies your friends through diplomacy and sound reason and grace.

The way that is natural unto man that leads to death is to serve ones own self interest over the interests of your neighbors, to prefer yourself to others. The way that is natural unto man that leads to death is the way of corruption - greed and pride and arrogance and hate and deception and brutality and extortion and fear and lawlessness, etc. ...

It seems that there are many in our government who prefer the ways of men that lead to death ... and it is killing countless innocent people all over the world, including right here in our very own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:39 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,251,709 times
Originally Posted by quality guy
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You've completely lost me. What is your point?
Drugs, legalizing, etc. seems right to you. Death and destruction are the end result. Any more questions, god of nothing?

Old 12-18-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Exactly, and its called war ... It is natural instinct for men to think they can just bully and brutalize people who are weaker than they are and exploit others weaknesses as opportunities to take advantage of in order to further their own agendas.

Its natural animal carnal instinct to want to kill your enemies instead of longsuffering them and out of love for life seek to overcome evil with good and to make your enemies your friends through diplomacy and sound reason and grace.

The way that is natural unto man that leads to death is to serve ones self interest over the interests of your neighbors, to prefer yourself to others. The way that is natural unto man that leads to death is the way of corruption - greed and pride and arrogance and hate and deception and brutality and extortion and fear and lawlessness, etc. ...

It seems that there are many in our government who prefer the ways of men that lead to death ... and it is killing countless people all over the world, including right here in our very own country.
Correct! But that verse is not only about WAR. It's also about harmful habits, etc. ...cigarettes have killed more people than many wars.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 AM

8,006 posts, read 4,176,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy

Drugs, legalizing, etc. seems right to you. Death and destruction are the end result.
There once was a thing called Prohibition. It told Americans that alcohol was evil and that they weren't allowed to have it anymore. And yes, they were right. Booze is bad for you. Ethanol alcohol is a mild poison. It changes your mental state, dulls your senses and just doesn't do anything but harm to your body and your life. Clearly, banning it was just good common sense, right?

What did we get from the Prohibition Era?
1.) The Mafia
2.) Many other forms of organized crime
3.) We made existing and new criminal organizations ridiculously wealthy and powerful -- so much so that they were able exert substantial control in many of the governments in the USA.

What we didn't get from the Prohibition Era? The American people never stopped drinking alcohol, they just got very good at hiding it.

The War on Drugs has not stopped people from using drugs, but it has been wildly successful at creating all of the bad things Prohibition created -- incredibly rich and powerful criminal organizations that are continuing to increase in power and influence every day -- but this time it is on an absolutely massive global scale!!

The underlying mistake: Creating laws that protect people from themselves. It's also complete hypocrisy to say, "We're willing to protect you from cocaine, marijuana, amphetamines, crack, crystal-meth, heroine, opium, LSD, etc by making it a crime to use them. But with alcohol and tobacco, good luck cuz you're on your own."

If it is the government's job to protect people from themselves, then do it already! Re-institute Prohibition and ban the use of tobacco. If that isn't the government's job then the government needs to stop doing it it altogether! The message being conveyed right now: "We'll save you from yourself, but we won't save you from yourself."

Make a choice and stick with it. Either protect people from themselves across the board or don't do it at all. No more double standards on this issue.

Quote:
Any more questions, god of nothing?
Oooooo! Zing! You come up with that all by yourself?

Now the fun part is: I do not drink, smoke or use illicit drugs. Never have, never will. I see this issue from a point of view of, "Holy crap, look at the terrible things that the War on Drugs has unintentionally created! History repeats itself! What a disaster!" I'm not looking to score cheaper weed or anything like that.

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 12-18-2011 at 03:18 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 03:05 AM

Addendum: Lindsay Lohan has been so harmed by drugs. A beautiful, talented young woman...who because of drugs and cigarettes, etc. has started to swiftly look abused by their ravage destroying aspects. Teeth problems, nervous, criminal charges, it really hurts me to see her life being ruined by drugs.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,384,661 times
Quote:
Correct! But that verse is not just about WAR. It's also about harmful habits, etc. ...cigarettes have killed more people than many wars.

No its not ... It is about mens corruption ...

Matthew 12:7
If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent.

Your entire concept of sin is misguided ... True sin is the sin of the heart, not the sin of the flesh. We are all in bondage to the sins of the flesh, in one form or another (food, TV, sex, cigarettes, caffeine, pharmaceutical addictions, work addictions, the list goes on and on), but those sins of the heart are the sins that lead to death for us all.

Just as Christ said to the pharisees who practiced the law and believed themselves to be clean and righteous before God, but who were full of pride and greed and arrogance and extortion, as Christ did testify concerning them ...

Matthew 23:27

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean.

Matthew 23:25
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.

And even the Apostle Paul (Not Dr. Paul) himself said that he would not judge or seek to force his lifestyle on those people outside of the church, but that those in the church should only be concerned with the actions of others in the church and not of those outside it.

1 Corinthians 5:9
"I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters."

If the apostle Paul would not seek to force this world to abide by his values or judge them for not sharing them then why do you? What give you the right to tell other people how to live and what to believe? If you want people to respect your right to believe and live the way you want to live, then you had better learn to start respecting others rights to do the same without judging them or expecting them to live according to your world views.

Christ died for sin, so you should get off that high horse and realize that we are all in the same boat in that regard, despite how righteous you may believe yourself to be in comparison to those "dirty" drug addicts and alcoholics and homosexuals and prostitutes ... you know, the same people that Jesus died for.

Drugs are a health issue, and a civil liberties issue, and should not be a criminal issue. The only reason why drugs have become a criminal issue is because of the war on drugs, which creates black markets. And it doesn't take Einstein to figure that out, but in case you are wondering, he did ...

Quote:
"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this."
Albert Einstein,
"My First Impression of the U.S.A.", 1921
Colossians 2:16
"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day."

1 Corinthians 6:12
"Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

If we are to let no others judge us for what we take into our bodies or for what we celebrate, etc. then why are you and other "Christians" judging others for what they eat and drink and how they celebrate?

If by the blood of Christ all sin is paid for then why do you condemn others for the sin he took upon himself? If i am at liberty in Christ, and thus all things are permissible as it is written, even those things that are not expedient or "beneficial", then why do you seek to rule over me and tell me how i can and cannot live?

Why is it that right wing neo-con Christian evangelicals never seem to actually read the bible?

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 12-18-2011 at 03:26 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 03:37 AM

8,006 posts, read 4,176,541 times
Quote:
Addendum: Lindsay Lohan has been so harmed by drugs. A beautiful, talented young woman...who because of drugs and cigarettes, etc. has started to swiftly look abused by their ravage destroying aspects. Teeth problems, nervous, criminal charges, it really hurts me to see her life being ruined by drugs.
I'm going borrow a line from the NRA: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."

The same is true for illicit drug use.

Drugs don't kill/destroy people. People kill/destroy themselves. Making drug use a crime hasn't helped, it has driven user underground where they can hide their criminal drug use from the authorities.

They need rehab, not prison time.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:53 AM

1,705 posts, read 826,496 times
[quote]The fact is that the past decade plus, the DC area's growth has been at the expense of the rest of the country. And the reality is that most of this growth in government has been to fund Warfare and Welfare. The warfare part has been discussed by every Ron Paul supporter, so I'll not dive too far into it. But I will say that Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman has grown into some of the DC area's biggest GSE employers. [quote]

Never have truer words been said!!! This was SUCH a great post!!!!!! Very thoughtful

Old 12-18-2011, 05:18 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,495,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
While I may not agree with some of your more sweeping statements, I do thank you for an original posting containing YOUR thoughts, not 'links' to talking heads, blogs or (shudder) that fraud Wikipedia.

I shall increase your reputation!
And I shall do the same for you.

Quote:
Drugs didn't do anything to that spoiled princess. She's the one who decided to get caught up in the Hollywood glitz and thought that taking drugs was what "cool celebs" do.

It's no one's fault but her own. That's what free will is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Isn't it interesting: You can't generalize and say, "Ron Paul supporters look like ______." Urban or rural. Black, white or brown. East coast, west coast, gulf coast, north, south, midwest or in the Rocky Mountains, rich, poor, middle class -- there are Ron Paul supporters everywhere.

It's kind of funny how the vast majority of things that Ron Paul stands for -- especially the most controversial ones -- are things that I had figured out on my own long before I knew that Ron Paul had been taking those stands for years. I just figured nobody stood for them. Specifically, I'm talking about legalizing drugs and ceasing our tyrannical reign as judge, jury and executioner for the entire planet.

This is what good common sense politics looks like. You don't have to explain it in depth because it just makes sense. It's obvious.

Fairfaxian thank you for that. That travesty that happened on Fox News (I think they called it a debate ...) had me really discouraged about Ron Paul's chances of winning the Repub nomination. Now I'm feeling a bit more optimistic.
Take this as a consolation: The republican nomination will be the hardest challenge for Ron Paul. If he can get the nomination, his campaign against Obama will be a cakewalk in comparison. Plenty of democrats and the majority of independents (like myself) see that the War on Drugs, War on "Terrorism", the Federal Deficit, "Nation Building", crony capitalism, and Washington's Lobbyist industry are farces that are crippling our country and will be our undoing if not tackled head-on.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:50 PM

9,038 posts, read 14,283,762 times
As long as you are talking about what has killed more people, ironically it is the medical establishment that kills about 9 Million or more a year. Over 100,000 die just taking prescription drugs AS PRESCRIBED. So Rx may top alcohol as a leading killer and CERTAINLY TOPS those kills by terrorists. We could save more peoples lives and get our freedom back by getting rid of Homeland Security and the TSA; restoring the Patirot Act and ALLOWING natural medicine the same respect it gets in other countries here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or