Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times

Advertisements

Sobriety, wisdom and judgment.
Those are qualities Mitt Romney said he looks for in a leader. Those are qualities Romney himself has demonstrated in his career in business, public service and government. Those qualities help the former Massachusetts governor stand out as the most qualified Republican candidate competing in the Iowa caucuses.
Sobriety: While other candidates have pandered to extremes with attacks on the courts and sermons on Christian values, Romney has pointedly refrained from reckless rhetoric and moralizing. He may be accused of being too cautious, but choosing words carefully is a skill essential for anyone who could be sitting in the White House and reacting to world events.
Wisdom: Romney obviously is very smart. He graduated as valedictorian at Brigham Young University and finished in the top 5 percent in his MBA class at Harvard, where he also earned a law degree. Romney also exhibits the wisdom of a man who listened and learned from his father and his mother, from his church and from his own trials and errors in life. He does not lack self confidence, but he is not afraid to admit when he has been wrong.
Judgment: Romney disagrees with Democrats on most issues, but he offers smart and well-reasoned alternatives rather than simply proposing to swing a wrecking ball in Washington. He is a serious student of public policy who examines the data before making a decision. His detailed policy paper on the economy contains 87 pages of carefully crafted positions on taxes, energy, trade and regulatory policy, complete with 127 footnotes.

http://caucuses.desmoinesregister.com/2011/12/17/23902/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Of course! Way to go Mitt!

Gingrich is slipping and Romney is starting to grab a few of the points. If Romney somehow wins Iowa, that would be a really unanticipated win for him and could halt momentum from other candidates.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Good pick up, going in....

Old 12-17-2011, 10:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
I read about the endorsement in a Foxnews article. I personally think it looks bad for a newspaper to endorse a candidate. It not only gives the newspaper an excuse to be bias but hurt their credibility to the public. I think Romney also got an endorsement from the Washington Examiner last week.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 PM

Newspapers routinely endorse candidates and this is the biggest newspaper in Iowa so it's a really much appreciated endorsement.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:30 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
This is not an accurate statement. They are free to endorse Romney, but not lie about Ron Paul in doing so.

Quote:
Ron Paul’s libertarian ideology would lead to economic chaos and isolationism, neither of which this nation can afford.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 PM

It's an opinion piece, thus this is their opinion of the candidates.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:39 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
The GOP doesn't consider Ron Paul to even be in the party, so you can bet none of their peeps are gonna endorse him. That does not mean he's a bad candidate. He's actually a very, very strong candidate. He's just not their candidate.

The powers that be within the GOP see this as a two horse race at this point: Newt and Mitt. With the history and enemies that Newt has, you would have to be completely insane to run him against Obama. The machines behind the GOP are just trying to make that very clear to the Republican voters.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:19 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,256,395 times
So which Mitt "Flip Flop" Romney are they endorsing? There are two men trapped in the same body.

The liberal, self-described "progressive", pro-stimulus, pro-choice, pro-gun control, pro-ObamaCare Romney, or the conservative businessman, anti-stimulus, pro-life, pro-NRA, anti-RomneyCare Romney?

Old 12-18-2011, 04:47 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
So which Mitt "Flip Flop" Romney are they endorsing? There are two men trapped in the same body.

The liberal, self-described "progressive", pro-stimulus, pro-choice, pro-gun control, pro-ObamaCare Romney, or the conservative businessman, anti-stimulus, pro-life, pro-NRA, anti-RomneyCare Romney?
You simply cannot expect sanity from either political party at this point. The most electable and consistent candidate that might, at long last, do something different to try to turn this country around is Ron Paul. Scandal free private life and insanely consistent voting record.

But if it needed to be a more mainstream Republican, the next best candidate was John Huntsman. Great success as a governor, excellent grasp of domestic and international issues and he's consistent on the issues that matter.

The GOP just flat-out ignored him.

The Republicans were stupid. They went all in for "I R isn't not smart too much" Rick Perry. You think Romney is a flip-flopper? Perry started his political career as a Democrat. That's a much bigger flip-flop if you ask me.

Then they went all in for Herman "can't seem to keep it in my pants" Cain. Good summary for the Herman Cain fad: "I have absolutely no idea how to be President ... but I promise that I'll try to figure it out when I get there."

Now they're pushing hard for Newt "even my scandals have scandals" Gingrich. Here's where Newt is completely screwed: "Man it's depressing to have a wife with cancer. Man I need to de-stress. I know what I need! I'm going to go screw some other chick! That'll fix everything!" Heartless bastard does't even begin to cover it.

To say that the Repubs have been kinda stupid on whose bandwagon they jump on is a colossal understatement. Since it's against the Party's bylaws to support Ron Paul, at this point Mitt Romney is by far the best choice left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections