U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:37 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,640,939 times

Advertisements

Gary Johnson | Libertarian Party | Third-Party Campaign | The Daily Caller

Quote:
On Tuesday evening, Politico reported that former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson (http://topics.dailycaller.com/politics/gary-johnson.htm - broken link) would end his GOP presidential bid and run for president instead as a Libertarian Party candidate.

The official announcement will reportedly be made in Santa Fe on Dec. 28
Looks like I won't be voting in the Republican Primary after all. I had intended to vote for Gary Johnson in the Repo Primary but now I'll be holding my vote for Johnson in the Texas Libertarian primary.

2012 Libertarian Party Convention at Red Rock Resort in Las Vegas | Libertarian Party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 PM

10,783 posts, read 11,816,264 times
I think this will all but verify Paul will NOT run third party when he doesn't get the R nom.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,223,537 times
Imagine this scenario: Ron Paul wins the R nomination, and this being a 50-50 nation, Obama wins by one-half percent. Gary Johnson, running as a Libertarian, draws the usual libertarian candidate's 1 pct of the vote, which would have otherwise gone to Ron Paul and given Paul the half-percent victory margin.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 AM

3,513 posts, read 3,234,067 times
obama just won new mexico with this. johnson gets 26-30 percent of the gop vote and 10-12 of the dem in nm.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:43 AM

865 posts, read 572,164 times
He has to win the Libertarian primary first. Johnson is not a favorite to win the Libertarian Party nomination. He could win it, but I'm not entirely sure. Most of the Libertarians have moved over to support Paul and the rest that remain are very extreme. Some of you guys make Paul out to be extreme, but you haven't even tasted how diverse and deep libertarianism can get. That leave Gary Johnson with a lot of support from people who want to see full-reserve banking implemented, and a federal government that is 60-90% smaller. Which is considerably smaller than Johnson's 43% max plan.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
obama just won new mexico with this. johnson gets 26-30 percent of the gop vote and 10-12 of the dem in nm.
A great point, trop. NM is a purple state, often up for grabs. Imagine Paul gets the R nomination and we get a replay of 2000, virtually a tie election. Meanwhile Gary Johnson throws NM to Obama, and denies Paul the WH. It's a little far-fetched, but we've seen a lot of far-fetched things come to pass in the last few years.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 AM

20,017 posts, read 15,684,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A great point, trop. NM is a purple state, often up for grabs. Imagine Paul gets the R nomination and we get a replay of 2000, virtually a tie election. Meanwhile Gary Johnson throws NM to Obama, and denies Paul the WH. It's a little far-fetched, but we've seen a lot of far-fetched things come to pass in the last few years.
The dynamics of an Obama/Paul election would look very different. You won't get that red-south/midwest and blue-pacific/NE breakup. Obama could actually lose blue states like Oregon, Washington, PA, or NY to Paul. Obama is just too much establishment, pro-war, anti-drug and anti-civil rights and progressives care about those things, even more than a false sense of security. If anything it would drain Obama of resources as he's forced to campaign in what are supposed to be Dem lock states. The electoral map would look like something out of the Twilight Zone.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:20 AM

9,897 posts, read 6,829,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Gary Johnson | Libertarian Party | Third-Party Campaign | The Daily Caller

Looks like I won't be voting in the Republican Primary after all. I had intended to vote for Gary Johnson in the Repo Primary but now I'll be holding my vote for Johnson in the Texas Libertarian primary.

2012 Libertarian Party Convention at Red Rock Resort in Las Vegas | Libertarian Party
I switched to Republican to vote for Paul, but ...

Torn Between Two Lovers - (re-posted) - YouTube

Now, I really am torn ...

Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The dynamics of an Obama/Paul election would look very different. You won't get that red-south/midwest and blue-pacific/NE breakup. Obama could actually lose blue states like Oregon, Washington, PA, or NY to Paul. Obama is just too much establishment, pro-war, anti-drug and anti-civil rights and progressives care about those things, even more than a false sense of security. If anything it would drain Obama of resources as he's forced to campaign in what are supposed to be Dem lock states. The electoral map would look like something out of the Twilight Zone.
Excellent points, and very well stated (lol@twilight zone)

Old 12-21-2011, 07:16 AM

1,333 posts, read 844,742 times
If Paul were to run as a 3rd party candidate...I would bet he might choose Johnson as his mate. if Paul wins the GOP nomination....I doubt that Johnson would run a 3rd party bid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or