Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times

Advertisements

Hey what ron paul has said hundreds of times those programs would be PHASED out and not happen overnight. HE points to the time when even he was in growing up most of the people were taken care of via charity. Also the free markets would lower prices of care as well. Paul states and clearly that government is not the solution to healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM

372 posts, read 1,042,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Regardless of how it played out tonight in New Hampshire...he would end Medicaid and Medicare. If he thinks Drs. and hospitals can or will take care of folks in this country for free, he really is crazy. The amount of that the hospitals are doing now is what is causing all of us that pay for our healthcare and health Insurance to see rising costs continuously. This would be a big step back in this country that is not in the right direction. I do agree that all of the abuse and fraud should be gotten rid of. That would make both programs more feasible cost wise immediately.

As much money as we waste in this country, surely we can take care of the children, the disabled and the elderly and not let them suffer with illness unecessarily. It is cold-hearted in my opinion not to.
I work in the medical industry. We take care of people all the time for free. I do believe we are bound, by law, to do so. Recovering lost expenses from treating the uninsured is just part of the problem with rising medical costs.

One thing I could never figure out. I break my arm, I have to get a referal from GP before I can see an Ortho doc. There might be a good reason for this, some one can clue me in. All I know is that's at least 3 fees, GP for the referal, Radiologist to confirm what the GP already knows, and an Orthopod to set the break.

Another huge problem is the price of medical malpractice insurance. Very few are willing to touch tort reform. Thank the lawyer lobby. And with all the lawsuits, why all the regulations? Wouldn't it be in the self-interest of a medical facility to self-regulate? A lot of money being made here that has nothing to do with the patient-medical facility relationship.

And finally, the real culprit - the medical industrial complex working hand-in-hand with your federal government. Do you know why you pay $100 for 1 measly hour of oxygen? Because that's the price set by the government (Medicare, etc). It is non-negotiable, meaning no competition - I can't charge $10 to get more patients to come to my hospital. In order for private insurance to compete with $100 dollar oxygen, you get big premiums and deductibles.

This is just the top of my head. I haven't even touched the pharmaceutical industrial complex.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Ron Paul Attacked for Views on Health Care - ABC News

Dec 19, 2011 10:50pm

Ron Paul Attacked for Views on Health Care

Ron Paul’s views on health care came under fire tonight at a campaign stop in New Hampshire, where his position on eliminating Medicaid was met with open hostility from the audience.
Paul has called for the eventual elimination of Medicare and Medicaid and has suggested that charity hospitals should pick up the slack for the uninsured. That view got one woman in Manchester up in arms.
“Thirty three percent of the children in the U.S. are on Medicaid and another 10 percent are uninsured,” the woman said. “You have offered charity by doctors as a solution to this. Do you really think that 43 percent of America’s children will be taken care of by charity?”
If that is really his stand, I still need to verify this, he is dead as far as him gettting either the nomination no less the Whitehouse. All a candidate has to do is say let kill Mediare or SS, and Bang, you just watched a candidate commit political suicide.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
I work in the medical industry. We take care of people all the time for free. I do believe we are bound, by law, to do so. Recovering lost expenses from treating the uninsured is just part of the problem with rising medical costs.

One thing I could never figure out. I break my arm, I have to get a referal from GP before I can see an Ortho doc. There might be a good reason for this, some one can clue me in. All I know is that's at least 3 fees, GP for the referal, Radiologist to confirm what the GP already knows, and an Orthopod to set the break.

Another huge problem is the price of medical malpractice insurance. Very few are willing to touch tort reform. Thank the lawyer lobby. And with all the lawsuits, why all the regulations? Wouldn't it be in the self-interest of a medical facility to self-regulate? A lot of money being made here that has nothing to do with the patient-medical facility relationship.

And finally, the real culprit - the medical industrial complex working hand-in-hand with your federal government. Do you know why you pay $100 for 1 measly hour of oxygen? Because that's the price set by the government (Medicare, etc). It is non-negotiable, meaning no competition - I can't charge $10 to get more patients to come to my hospital. In order for private insurance to compete with $100 dollar oxygen, you get big premiums and deductibles.

This is just the top of my head. I haven't even touched the pharmaceutical industrial complex.

I have worked in the healthcare industry also and I believe that is pretty much what I said. However, the number of people being taken care of 'for free' would be unsupportable without Medicaid and Medicare. Also, if you have worked in an ER or in longterm care you have seen how those on Medicaid are not real desirable as a payor source for healthcare right now. Private longterm care turns away straight Medicaid patients most of the time nowdays. Is it illegal, yep, does it happen, you bet it does. Imagine what would happen if they had no payor source. They would be out on the streets.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:03 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Another of your Spinmeister attempts to deflect the issue. The fact is, Paul would pull the rug out from under sick needy American citizens...who have no way of affording decent Healthcare. Even Obama is not that heartless. This country would fast become a third world nation under Dr. Kevorkian...'er, Ron Paul. This guy is off his rocker...in a multitude of irresponsibile ways.
Ron Paul has said he will take care of commitments. Why post when you don't know the candidates issues?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
I have worked in the healthcare industry also and I believe that is pretty much what I said. However, the number of people being taken care of 'for free' would be unsupportable without Medicaid and Medicare. Also, if you have worked in an ER or in longterm care you have seen how those on Medicaid are not real desirable as a payor source for healthcare right now. Private longterm care turns away straight Medicaid patients most of the time nowdays. Is it illegal, yep, does it happen, you bet it does. Imagine what would happen if they had no payor source. They would be out on the streets.
Really? It wasn't unsupportable before government got involved in the health care business. What changed? hint $$$$ ^^^

Old 12-21-2011, 01:53 PM

372 posts, read 1,042,927 times
Quote:
I see what you're driving at though I've never seen anybody turned away from an ER in my nearly 25 years. I also believe Paul when he says right now he would actually replenish the defunded social safety net programs so many have become dependent on while we get the lobbyist, lawyers, and beaurocracies out of it. He has addressed the fact that social safety nets are better served by those closer to the people - the individual states, through block grants. I am much more comfortable with 50 versions of Romnie care than one sweeping version of Obamacare.

We may have to agree to disagree, but I see the expansion of the medical industrial complex / federal government partnership as unsupportable.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
All a candidate has to do is say let kill Mediare or SS, and Bang, you just watched a candidate commit political suicide.
Paul has never said, let's just kill Medicare or Social Security.

Paul isn't perfect, but he is far from the isolationist, no
government scenario he is painted with.

Without future fiscal responsibility in the country, there won't
be arguments about Social Security or Medicare. We'll
be broke and no one will be getting anything.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Really? It wasn't unsupportable before government got involved in the health care business. What changed? hint $$$$ ^^^

Actually what brought up the cost of health care was
HMO/PPO, *Insurance Companies, Pharmaceutical Companies,
High Tech Medicine, and folks simply living longer. The average
person spends the most money on their health care during the
last six months of their life.

Paul is a supporter of "free enterprise" not Corporatism. We don't have "free enterprise medicine in this country" and
frankly we never will". It is no longer 1950.

We have Corporate Medicine in America and profits for shareholders do not mix with health care delivery systems. That's why we need single payer - (the insurance premium affordability factor).
When you get Private Insurance Corporations out of medicine/the government - you will have affordability, and not before. Right now, these insurance companies are GSE's without the title, but still subsidized by our taxes, and for profit. - big profit.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Ron Paul has said he will take care of commitments. Why post when you don't know the candidates issues?
The above post is asinine. Why do you post? I know Ron Paul is a nut. I know he will NEVER be POTUSA. I know he is a cold-hearted, cold-blooded DANGEROUS man. Somehow, weak minded people don't seem to understand that fact about Paul. I post to alert these people. Hope they WAKE-UP. - Understand?

Do I need your permission to speak? Didn't think so!!!

Suggestion > You give your opinion...I'll give mine! Simple...if you stop to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections