Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:14 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times

Advertisements

Hey, if I looked at the polls from a few weeks ago, Cain looks really strong and I think he'll take the WH, especially when they get rid of the race card. Oh wait, what happened to him since then? He was kicking butt and taking names!

This is why I laugh in the faces of those suckers who bought California property at its peak. I enjoy the lulz of schadenfreude for people who look at static numbers without observing how fragile the trends are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
But he's not dropped out yet. SC is a socially conservative state. How can a "whackjob" libertarian be ahead of a socially conservative and well liked guy like Perry in the Bible belt? It's not entirely meaningless. There is a lot of ignorance in our country and fringe candidates like Paul aren't even known to many of the trailer park trash and ghetto rats in the south.
I've been thinking about this word "fringe". More and more of us are gravitating to the fringe, because we are sick of nanny state encroachment, telling us what to eat, what to smoke, what to drive, and soon they'll be telling us when to turn the lights out and go to bed. We fringe voters are growing because we want our Republic back, we want to restore liberty.
RON PAUL 2012

Old 12-21-2011, 01:31 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And? How does this change every other state where Paul has no support? The minute Paul gets trounced in S Carolina and Florida, regardless of the reason, he's finished.

Ron Paul isnt going to win New Hampshire.. But yet you have pronounced him the GOP nominee

And Paul is losing in SC, then getting his butt kicked in Florida. All of a sudden that momentum you claimed would push Paul into the White House.. dies..

You are so out of whack with reality its not even funny. Clinton beat Obama in New Hampshire, where did she end up? You are putting far too much emphasis on this "momentum" that its become laughable. Paul will not be able to recover a strong loss in SC nor Florida.. he'll be done. If anything Newt losing might give Romney some momentum but no where near enough for Paul to overcome his 7% raiting in Florida. Stop dreaming.

Pauls "success" in SC or Florida? He's LOSING 7% to 41%. And if Newt collapses like you claim, it'll only benefit Romney. Paul might see a few percentages but to claim it'll be a head to head is laughable.
First of all, I never said that Ron Paul would be the GOP nominee. This thread was strictly about Iowa and his plans moving forward. It will be really tough for Ron Paul to get the nomination. His plans are to get enough delegates to make it a brokered convention. What has to be remembered is that unlike 2008, the GOP has changed the rules so that delegates will be awarded proportionally instead of winner takes all. So even if Ron Paul loses in a large state like Florida, he may get enough delegates to remain competitive. Once the field is narrowed down, it will be a battle for delegate count.

Going into Super Tuesday, the desired scenario is that Ron Paul and Mitt Romney will have the most delegates and the main fight will be between the two of them. That's the position that he wants to be in because many are looking for anybody but Romney. It will all really hinge on how well he gets his message out there and wins over voters. It's not a done deal.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
First of all, I never said that Ron Paul would be the GOP nominee. This thread was strictly about Iowa and his plans moving forward. It will be really tough for Ron Paul to get the nomination. His plans are to get enough delegates to make it a brokered convention. What has to be remembered is that unlike 2008, the GOP has changed the rules so that delegates will be awarded proportionally instead of winner takes all. So even if Ron Paul loses in a large state like Florida, he may get enough delegates to remain competitive. Once the field is narrowed down, it will be a battle for delegate count.

Going into Super Tuesday, the desired scenario is that Ron Paul and Mitt Romney will have the most delegates and the main fight will be between the two of them. That's the position that he wants to be in because many are looking for anybody but Romney. It will all really hinge on how well he gets his message out there and wins over voters. It's not a done deal.
It may be the position he wants to be in, but there isnt a viable plan in place to make that happen. To think him winning Iowa and coming in 2nd in NH is enough to create some national momentum to do such a thing, is just silly.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:14 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
It may be the position he wants to be in, but there isnt a viable plan in place to make that happen. To think him winning Iowa and coming in 2nd in NH is enough to create some national momentum to do such a thing, is just silly.
Just because you keep saying that it's silly doesn't make it so. What's silly is your idea that Gingrich won't be hurt by poor performances in Iowa and New Hampshire. The way the polls are trending, he's looking at 3rd place in both states, at the most. He may even get 4th in Iowa if another candidate surges. Gingrich's campaign will collapse.

Is there an example of another candidate in recent history that has lost both Iowa and New Hampshire and yet went on to win South Carolina?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:20 PM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
But where is he in the rest of the nation? Iowa is the only place Paul ever campaigns
Yeah, but an early win or catching that bit of wind and suddenly he's the guy on the rise.

I'd suggest looking at how the democratic primaries unfolded back in the run-up to the last election.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:27 PM

History......

Quote:
Obama won the Iowa caucuses with 38% of the vote, over Edwards, 30%, and Clinton, 29%. His victory brought him to national prominence as many voters tuned in to the race for the first time. In a speech that evening, he defined change as the primary theme of his campaign and said, "On this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do."[39] The delegate count was virtually tied, but Clinton's surprising third-place finish in the popular vote damaged her image as the "inevitable" nominee.[40] However, she remained upbeat, saying "This race begins tonight and ends when Democrats throughout America have their say. Our campaign was built for a marathon."[40] The following day, reports described "panic" among some Clinton donors,[41] and rumors of a staff shake-up began to circulate.[42] Biden and Dodd withdrew from the race
Democratic Party presidential primaries, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Oprah-road show for Obama leading up to the big Iowa upset are what turned it from a sure-thing for Hillary into a dogfight that Obama ended up winning.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Hey, if I looked at the polls from a few weeks ago, Cain looks really strong and I think he'll take the WH, especially when they get rid of the race card. Oh wait, what happened to him since then? He was kicking butt and taking names!

This is why I laugh in the faces of those suckers who bought California property at its peak. I enjoy the lulz of schadenfreude for people who look at static numbers without observing how fragile the trends are.
Agreed. A lot of voters are just sheep waiting to jump on the bandwagon of the frontrunner.

If a republican candidate jumps out and wins Iowa and is strong in the next 2....they will gain momentum as people drop and throw their support behind the guy that can REWARD THEM.

I can absolutely see Paul winning the Repub. nomination and I say that as an independent and not one of his mooney-eyed loyalists.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Default Actions speak louder than words

I suspect this may pull some votes from the Bachmann, Santorum and Perry camps:

Ron Paul Ad: Staying on the Right Path - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
I forgot about that. Christians don't like mormons.
How do Christians feel about Baptists, Lutherans and Methodists?

Quote:
Paul is deeply religious and Christian. Romney is not.
Good grief. Romney is every bit as "deeply religious and Christian" as Paul is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections