U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 02:32 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,390,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
How exactly do you think a hypothetical President Paul is going to ever get anything done?

All he and his supporters do is trash and belittle anyone who disagrees with the sainted Dr. Paul, and he's going to need the support of those people if he wants anything passed in Congress.

I don't believe we are belittling anyone per say, but we often are blunt in our defense of Dr. Paul against all the disrespect and malice that people show him. Saying he is a kook and that he is unelectable or that he is a racist and an isolationist ... Constant disinformation in order to block or skew his message instead of honestly criticizing and debating his policies for what they actually are.

As far as what Paul can accomplish in the white house, even if all he ever accomplishes is vetoing the patriot act and NDAA and whatever other police state garbage they try to pass into legislation while he is president, then he will have done more for the good of America then all the others would ever even consider doing. And that is just the beginning of what he could do ... Dont even kid yourself. Is cabinet appointments and nominations for the supreme court would likely have a lasting affect on the future of this nation.

Whatever you may believe, for better or worse, Dr. Paul would bring real change ... And if not, then it is doubtful that anyone ever will by running for political office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 04:55 AM

6,914 posts, read 4,406,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undfan View Post
Article? This is an entry in Leon Wolf's blog. Are blog entries considedred on par with published articles? I don't know, I'm asking. First paragraph he says Paul endorsed Bob Barr. When did that happen? Do you have a link (other than an opinion blog) to back this. I know Paul endorsed Chuck Baldwin with McKinney and Nader recieving favorable mentions for signing Paul's Four Key Principles agreement:

Paul, Baldwin, McKinney, Nader: We Agree
Thanks for posting this you beat me too it. I guess neo cons find fault on the right and left coming together and finding common ground.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:53 AM

16,937 posts, read 22,228,192 times
If most of the republicans today stand for statism, stupidity and ignorance, why would I want someone who represents them in high office? I'll vote Ron Paul regardless of what the Republican Party wants. Everyone else running as an R is no better than Obama anyways.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:04 AM

66,329 posts, read 33,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
How exactly do you think a hypothetical President Paul is going to ever get anything done?

All he and his supporters do is trash and belittle anyone who disagrees with the sainted Dr. Paul, and he's going to need the support of those people if he wants anything passed in Congress.

For some uncanny reason, you have this illusion that 2012 only involves a Presidential race.

Your short term memory loss, is your Achilles Heel!
2010 mid-terms are all but forgotten, eh?

He does not need support from Congress to bring every last military occupation home. None.
When Congress declares war, then they can stay.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:09 AM

66,329 posts, read 33,662,185 times
If the people want change, they are going to have to do it one political party at a time.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:23 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,180,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
I'm very impressed that Congressman Paul understands how earmarks work ...

What's disgusting is when a Congressman loads a bill with earmarks for his district, then votes against the bill while wagging his finger and sanctimoniously proclaiming that he just couldn' in good conscious vote for such a bloated expenditure.

Take 2009, for example:
111th Congress Earmarks | OpenSecrets

Paul sponsored or co-sponsored $80,775,750 in earmarks -- that placed him 33rd out of 435 Representatives. That's right, in the top 8% of all earmarkers. He brings home the bacon to his district, all the while telling every who will listen to his campaign speeches that he tried to stop those bloated expenditures.

Everyone in Congress thinks their earmarks are really important, much more important than everyone else's earmarks. But not everyone is as prolific a porker as Paul -- in fact, 92% of Congress earmarks less.

I'm very sure that Ron Paul has patted you on the head and told you why his earmarks are wonderful, and why the fact that he loads bills up with goodies, then votes against them (while knowing they'll pass) isn't cynical and manipulative. And I know you've bought this, because you don't just support him, you revere him. I know you won't click on the link (which is just a non-partisan site for looking up raw data on politicians).

Carry on with your usual excuses ...
Earmarking doesn't add 1 penny to the budget. The amount of money to be spent is decided upon already, if Congress doesn't earmark it goes into the Executive Branch slushfund. Ron in essence is taking away money from Obama/Bush to spend on whatever they want to spend it on. In reality all money should be earmarked so we have accountability as to where it goes. It's like budgeting, you lay out where you want all of your money to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or