U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM

21,889 posts, read 22,024,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
If i were a Mormon and read that in my religions literature, i would have left that religion.
I'm not even sure what denomination you belong to, if any, but I can assure you there are skeletons in every denomination's closet. Tell me what church you attend and I'll be happy to provide you with a handful of good reasons (from your religion's literature) to leave it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,389,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mormons in general are probably less racist than most religious people today. You are right in pointing out that there was a ban against Black men holding the LDS priesthood for a number of years, but I'm old enough to very clearly remember the day the ban was lifted. Far, far more Mormons were happy to hear that news than were unhappy about it. I was living and working in Salt Lake City at the time and all you had to do to know how thrilled people were was to look at their faces. I've never seen so many smiling faces on a city street in my life.

Furthermore, despite the fact that Black men could not hold the priesthood, we have never, ever had segregated congregations. One of the major reasons Mormons were driven out of their homes in Missouri and Illinois was that they were so strongly anti-slavery. I notice you posted a quote from the Journal of Discourses. That is not nor has it ever been part of the LDS canon. If you want to try to explain what Mormons believe )about pretty much any topic), you really need to stick to legitimate sources. Just so that you know in the future, every single one of our doctrines can be found in one or more of the following: The Holy Bible, The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price.

You are honestly very wrong if you think Mormons today are racist.

I don't believe all Mormons today are racist, Kat, i already said that. I am very glad that they have changed their position, but Romney was 38(?) years old when the finally changed it ... My point is the case against him for being a Racist is much stronger than the case against Dr. Paul.

And just out of curiosity, i noticed you rejected one of the books that i quoted from, but what about the other? What about "The Way to Perfection"?

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 12-22-2011 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not even sure what denomination you belong to, if any, but I can assure you there are skeletons in every denomination's closet. Tell me what church you attend and I'll be happy to provide you with a handful of good reasons (from your religion's literature) to leave it.
You know me Kat ... I'm a humanist universalist!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,513,461 times
Default I've been saying all along; he's a racist repulsive and will lose

Paul is a racist imbecile. He will have a few suckers who are loyal followers, yet the GOP absolutely does NOT want him on the ticket in any way. The mechanism that will be used to bring him down is his racist past. Civil Rights is an area that Paul and all ignorant racists do very badly in.

There is no place for someone this ignorant. Thumbs down on Dr. Bigot Paul.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Paul is a racist imbecile. He will have a few suckers who are loyal followers, yet the GOP absolutely does NOT want him on the ticket in any way. The mechanism that will be used to bring him down is his racist past. Civil Rights is an area that Paul and all ignorant racists do very badly in.

There is no place for someone this ignorant. Thumbs down on Dr. Bigot Paul.

And what about Newt Romney and Obama? Do you believe that they they are also bigots?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 PM

845 posts, read 1,631,838 times
The so called "Ron Paul Newsletters" appear to be nothing more than slander and establishment propaganda. The racist parts were taken from one page of a 1992 issue in which quite a few people were fired from his team. From what I've found, Ron Paul had no knowledge of these writings, and honestly wasn't really apart of the publication save for being a figure head.

And how is it that a man who endorsed Cynthia McKinnely for president, donated $100 out of pocket for a medal dedicated to Rosa Parks, and has been fighting for the end of War on Drugs and removal of legislation specifically targeting minority groups. How is this man a racist? This is preposterous.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,692,012 times
Quote:
So youre telling me a religion that teaches that blacks and Arabs are a devil race is not racist? Is that what your are telling me?
I'm telling you that anyone who would write this:

Quote:
And what about Romney? Everybody know that Mormons are racist
Is a bigot and is the type of person that I hope our society can get past.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:05 PM

21,889 posts, read 22,024,555 times
Quote:
I don't believe all Mormons today are racist, Kat, i already said that. I am very glad that they have changed their position, but Romney was 38(?) years old when the finally changed it ... My point is the case against him for being a Racist is much stronger than the case against Dr. Paul.
I was 30 and Romney was 32. I did not suddenly go from being a racist to not being a racist in June, 1978, and I see no reason to think that Romney did either. You're just assuming that prior to 1978, all (or most) Mormons were racists and that today most (though not all) still are. A church policy against Black men holding the LDS priesthood is not any kind of an indicator as to the feelings any individual Mormons. What has Romney actually said that you consider racist? That's all I want to know. Unless he has made some racist statements, you have absolutely no case against him whatsoever.

Quote:
And just out of curiosity, i noticed you rejected one of the books that i quoted from, but what about the other? What about "The Way to Perfection"?
Actually, I've never even heard of it and I have no idea who the author was. It's not that I "rejected" your source (or sources). I merely pointed out that it (The Journal of Discourses) is one of literally thousands of LDS books and articles. If everything Martin Luther or John Calvin or any of the Catholic popes have said over the centuries was considered doctrinally binding on those religions' practitioners, those denominations would be accused of believing all sorts of things they don't really believe. The Journal of Discourses contains one man's opinion or perspective, and that's all. It is definitely not LDS doctrine.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,812,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

There is no place for someone this ignorant.
Someone needs to start looking in the mirror more often

Old 12-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'm telling you that anyone who would write this:

Is a bigot and is the type of person that I hope our society can get past.
You my friend, are a lost cause ... You are determined to use half truths and spinster tactics in order to turn the whole context of my post around to suit your defense of these other candidates, and including Obama
who are more likely racist than Dr. Paul, as is shown by their beliefs and the actions and their words.

When your ready to start answering the real issues instead of turning everything around in order to cloud the issues, let us know ... until then, Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or